Beach volleyball players: Did anyone else notice... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:29 PM

Old 08-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:29 AM
^Second

Old 08-28-2004, 12:41 AM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:29 PM

Old 08-28-2004, 01:16 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Must Wash Eyes, hand me that mace! (j/k)

Case in point most guys dont like to look at gay men, old people or ugly people, we like to see something a little more pleasing to the eyes, and that first picture falls under that category.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:19 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Must Wash Eyes, hand me that mace! (j/k)

Case in point most guys dont like to look at gay men, old people or ugly people, we like to see something a little more pleasing to the eyes, and that first picture falls under that category.
Wow! That's shallow.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Well that was what I was going for
Old 08-28-2004, 02:25 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:29 PM
HERE is the double-standard:

As a male...if I were to say "I don't mind seeing two guys kiss" - I would almost immediately (whether it was verbal or not) be labelled "gay"

I think "society" has told me to see that and feel uncomfortable.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:04 AM   #23
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:29 AM
I don't mind seeing two guys kiss
but 2 guys who run into eachother while both having their tongues half a feet out of their mouths makes a crap arse picture though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #24
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Fortunately, zoney, I think that's changing for our (?) age group (I'm almost 22 for the record). My fiance is straight (obviously), but has gay friends and doesn't bat an eye if they hold hands or kiss around him. I think this is probably evolving more in urban centers, but I hope it is reaching other areas if the country as well, as more and more straight guys learn that they can't be "turned" gay and that gay guys don't spend all their time trying to hit on straight ones.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:57 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I read some interesting blogs, and this subject came up last week on a lot of them. The writers were mainly concerned with the way women beach volleyball players are regulated to dress.

Echidne has some great things to say about this:

Quote:
"I'm going to tell what I heard one of the commentators say. Supposedly there have been many more ball handling errors in Athens than is usual, and according to this commentator the reason is in the ball being wet. The wetness comes from the forearms of the first player who touches the ball after it crosses the net. The correction to a wet ball is for the athletes to use their tops and shorts to dry their forearms.

Good. And what do the female athletes use for this drying operation? Their hair? I suspect that there are more ball handling errors in the women's games for this reason. Just remember that if you read that women commit more beach volleyball errors than men."
If you read the comments at that post, you'll see an email response from Holly McPeak, who stated that "for me the most comfortable outfit is a 2 piece bathing suit. My sponsor Speedo makes me my own suit that fits perfect and doesn't turn into a wedgie. The problem with the olympics is that our USAV sold the rights to Nike to make our suits. Unfortunately, not all the suits fit great."

Another opinion posted by a guest blogger at feministe.us

*edit to fix links
Old 08-30-2004, 09:38 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

That's interesting olive-I agree about the camera angles and Yahoo photos. I guess you can also argue the angle that part of these sports is about a celebration of the body form. TV wants to exploit it for ratings, just like they do in other shows I hope most people think about the females' athletic ability in the Olympics, and in other sports, more than their bodies.

I guess this doesn't count because they're brothers

Steven Lopez, left, from the USA kisses his coach and brother Jean Lopez after he won the men's under 80kg taekwondo gold medal against Turkey's Bahri Tanrikulu at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, Saturday, Aug. 28, 2004

Old 08-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Who is exploiting the female form in these Olympics? It seems that a number of female atheletes have electively posed (partially clad or fully nude) in a number of men's magazines.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Who is exploiting the female form in these Olympics? It seems that a number of female atheletes have electively posed (partially clad or fully nude) in a number of men's magazines.
So what if some pose in men's magazines- does that mean they should all be regulated to play a sport in bikinis (that ride up and offer no cloth material to wipe sweat).

Furthermore, most teenagers and children have limited exposure to men's magazines and I, for instance, don't have to buy them if I don't want to. The Olympics are on nationally-syndicated TV, and is supposed to be about the sport- not the gratuitious butt shots.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:02 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Carrie, I think we are on the same page on the issue in general.

Perhaps the choice made by a few athletes makes it more difficult for the rest.

Beach volleyball in general was not presented with the same ideals as other Olympic sports. The "entertainment" factor was present in many ways, including rock music during breaks and the Canary Island dancing girls.

I guess this is a problem when you create Olympic events. Beach volleyball was transplanted from the beach. And many of the elements unassociated with Olympic sports were brought along as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict