BBC Documentary - "Srebrenica: Never Again?" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:27 PM
BBC Documentary - "Srebrenica: Never Again?"

Quote:
Srebrenica: A survivor moves on
By Leslie Woodhead
Storyville producer

When I met Hasan Nuhanovic in 1999, I thought he was the angriest man I had ever known.

Sheltering from the pouring rain under the balcony of a ruined house and interviewing him for Cry From The Grave, my film about the Srebrenica massacre, was something I will never forget.

He told me then how he had been trapped in the little town of Srebrenica for three years, besieged by the Bosnian Serb army with his parents and younger brother, along with 40,000 desperate refugees.

Starving and fearing constant bombardment, Hasan had found a job as an interpreter for the Dutch Battalion of Peacekeepers, deployed to watch over the first UN "safe area".

I realised I was weary of living with my rage - I wanted a future with my wife and daughter more than I wanted revenge
Hasan Nuhanovic
His stunning account of the fall of the town had reached its terrible climax with the moment when he had to watch his family being thrown out of the haven of the Dutch base and into the hands of the Serb army, knowing they were going to their deaths.

They joined 8,000 other victims of Europe's worst atrocity since World War II.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4671135.stm
The documentary be seen here:

Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
I was at the ICTY recently to see the Popovic et al. trial. Fascinating.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
War Child

Are you a lawyer anitram?

Here's another video on Srebrenica that I found. Photos by Tarik Samarah.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
War Child

And here you can see Dutch soldiers exchanging gifts with general Mladic, now one of the most wanted war criminals, and how they partied after what happened in Srebrenica.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:27 AM
I don't trust propaganda of any kind. These documentaries are made specifically to evoke emotion. And I can't stand that.

The truth is what should move people. Not grainy black and white clips and cheesy "mood" music.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
War Child

Grainy black and white clips are the reality here. The reason why I'm putting this online is for all of us to ask ourselves, are we gonna let something similar happen ever again. No one thought that something similar would happen after the world war II but it still did.
Are we now ignoring Sudan's Darfur, only to hear about mass attrocities in a few months, while we just lived the regular, everyday life?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by vivaSA
Grainy black and white clips are the reality here. The reason why I'm putting this online is for all of us to ask ourselves, are we gonna let something similar happen ever again. No one thought that something similar would happen after the world war II but it still did.
Are we now ignoring Sudan's Darfur, only to hear about mass attrocities in a few months, while we just lived the regular, everyday life?
What do you recommend? How would you stop such things? Most people here are against military force, especially the Imperial US Army.

Around here in the San Francisco Bay Area I see "Free Tibet" bumper stickers right next to "No War" stickers. I wonder what their plan to free Tibet actually is - are they just going to go ask the Chinese?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can only speak for myself, but I don't live in this black and white world, so I am not one who says military force is generally or categorically not the way.

In cases like here in Srebrenica, Rwanda, or Darfur, in my opinion, it was appalling that the world just watched what happened, or even didn't watch because they didn't care.
It can't be that the UN soldiers have to stand by and watch such a massacre, but aren't allowed to intervene.
The worst was that no one could give orders, because all the officers were on holidays and no one felt responsible to take over command.

Regarding the Tibet situation, I generally agree that it's a bit weird to demand a free Tibet and deny military force.

On the other hand, a war against China is simply impossible, so we can't do anything else than talking.
Very sad is, we don't even do that, because that would make some people in the big business very unhappy.

And of course we cannot always start a war only because we don't except the situation.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

What do you recommend? How would you stop such things? Most people here are against military force, especially the Imperial US Army.
You know, most people are against cocacolonisation, then add your "Imperial Army", and you whine? Forest and trees, dude.

Tunnel vision is a medical problem in my country. It formed a political party in yours.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

You know, most people are against cocacolonisation, then add your "Imperial Army", and you whine? Forest and trees, dude.

Tunnel vision is a medical problem in my country. It formed a political party in yours.
I can't make any sense of this quote.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
I was a pacifist up until all of that stuff happened in the Balkans, with the Serb atrocities, etc, etc. Then I changed my mind because I couldn't oppose military force in every instance. I did oppose the invasion of Iraq, but I supported intervention in both Kosovo and Afghanistan.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vivaSA
Are you a lawyer anitram?

No, law student. Got a chance to go to the Hague last month, and it was a fascinating experience. Seeing the trials live is quite different than I'd imagined.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I was a pacifist up until all of that stuff happened in the Balkans, with the Serb atrocities, etc, etc. Then I changed my mind because I couldn't oppose military force in every instance. I did oppose the invasion of Iraq, but I supported intervention in both Kosovo and Afghanistan.
That's what some people don't seem to get.
For them you are either for or against use of military force in any case.

They just don't get that there are people who can evaluate different incidents differently and one by one.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
War Child

Here's another BBC Documentary on Srebrenica "A Cry From The Grave", by the same author:

A Cry From The Grave - 1/11
A Cry From The Grave - 2/11
A Cry From The Grave - 3/11
A Cry From The Grave - 4/11
A Cry From The Grave - 5/11
A Cry From The Grave - 6/11
A Cry From The Grave - 7/11
A Cry From The Grave - 8/11
A Cry From The Grave - 9/11
A Cry From The Grave - 10/11
A Cry From The Grave - 11/11