BBC Blasts US Broadcasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sula,

I have travelled through Europe as well and currently have friends in Iraq that fought in the war. In fact one of them is a captain in the Marine Corp. He is a Cobra Helicopter Pilot and was extensively involved in all combat phases of the war. Amazingly, there is a camera in the Cobra Helicopter along with essentially a VCR. He has every mission of every day recorded. This is unedited combat footage of fighting he was involved in. He plans to bring the tapes when he comes home in August.

Another friend who is also a Captain in the US Marine Corp finally got home this week. He explained to me last night that these alleged abuses are simply false. He went all the way to Baghdad with his Combat Engineer Batalion. The thing he was most amazed by was how little colateral damage there was from the air strikes and fighting.

Despite what other people may say, I'm going to trust people I have been friends with for nearly 19 years and are officers in the US Marine Corp. Honesty, Integrity, and objectivity is what you will get from them. There is no other media or aid organization that has been in more area's of Iraq than the US military. No other organization has been in a better position to judge what has actually happened in these combat situations.

If an aid organization you know of says there were human rights abuses PROVE IT! The men and women of the US armed forces have put their lives on the line and have experienced incredibly difficult situations. The don't deserve unfair and unproven allegations to be thrown against them.

As far as the necessity of the war, Iraq was required to completely disarm all its WMD following the 1991 Gulf War. After 12 years Iraq had failed to do so. The only way to disarm and uncooperative dictator is through military force. Peaceful inspectors can't do it. They are not armed.

Sting,

Iraq is the size of California. According to GW Bush.

As fantastic as your friends are, the fact that they did not see something does not mean it did not happen.

I was going to make a list of things that never happened in California because my friends and I did not see them. I have a friend who has a helicopter pilot?s license and spends a lot of time in the air, too. I think you get my point.

Deep,

"As fantastic as your friends are, the fact that they did not see something does not mean it did not happen."

"I was going to make a list of things that never happened in California because my friends and I did not see them. I have a friend who has a helicopter pilot?s license and spends a lot of time in the air, too. I think you get my point."

Sorry but thats not the same as being a Captain in the US Marine Corp and being involved in the intimate details of military planning across the board as well as being involved in implementing them. In addition, my one friend that is Cobra Helicopter Pilot knows and saw every night, half of the Combat Helicopter Crews the Marines had in their march towards Baghdad coming up the Tigris.

As a combat Helicopter Pilot, your always at the tip of the spear. If combat engagements are going on, your involved in them or friends and work mates are. Its not a matter of being everywhere at once, its the matter of being where the combat is taking place.

My friends are not the only one there of course, there are thousands of soldiers on the ground who would report much the same.

Indeed anything is possible. I can't say farmer Bill and his dog did not see that UFO early yesterday morning because I was not there helping milk the cows or whatever. But I know I'm not going to accuse and attempt to convict men of incredibly bravery, honesty and integrity, when there is no indisputible proof or evidence to suggest anything wrong was done by them.

STING2:

we don't talk about UFO sights of Iraqi farmers but about things people from the International Red Cross report!
I don't think that people from the Red Cross or people who investigate torture from Amnesty International or people from the M?decins Sans Fronti?res are less credible than US Soldiers.

The vast mayority of all groups above are honest men. If there is a difference in what they report we must investigate it and not denounce it as "UFO sights"

Klaus

I tend to trust reputable non-biased parties like the Red Cross. But Sting, you have taken a comment and run in a direction unintended for it. I was merely trying to help you understand why my views may be different than yours. Ie. trying to show you that different input and a different perspective can lead to one seeing events in a different light. Not to prove something to you. If you are unable to understand that it is possible for intelligent people with differing vantagepoints to come to differing opinions, then I'm afraid there is no point in discussion.

nb, i was out at a friend's the other night, but I haven't forgotten. ;)

verte76 said:
I've been reading BBC news at a site maintained by anti-Saddam Iraqis. While they do not like Saddam that's just about the only thing they agree on. The BBC's coverage is pretty graphic and reports on both good and bad stuff. The site's news coverage contains plenty of stuff about Saddam's atrocities. It also contains stuff that's critical of the Bush administration. I don't think it's an either-or situation. Criticizing the Bush administration doesn't translate into being pro-Saddam or whatever. You can be pleased that Saddam is gone and disagree with Act X of the Bush Administration.

Exactly.

Fox News cracks me up in particular (and the people who work there drive me up the wall). The article is dead on about Fox News.

There's bias all over the media, though, on both sides.

Which is sad.

Angela

I don't think you can keep all of the "bias" out of the news. But you can give various and sundry perspectives. There are both smart liberals and smart conservatives. Reasonable people can disagree. I think that when you forget that you're in trouble.

Klaus,

Some these same aid organizations have sensationalized other events in the pasts. Remember Jenin in the West Bank last year. There was supposed to be 7,000 dead civilians. It turns out there were only 48 and the evidence suggests that all the deaths was accidental.

What about all these reports predicting a million Iraqi dead in the last war from these same organizations. Again, totally false. The only reason I brought up the UFO's was because people often take what they think is indeed a UFO and run with it without investigating more before they fabricate wild stories.

The soldiers on the ground are objective and are not involved in writing media reports with political bias. They stick with the facts that are there and are not involved in the realm of pure speculation unlike some of these aid organizations.

More importantly, the soldiers were THERE! They were in the combat and in the fighting. The Red Cross was not! When my friend gets home with his gun camera footage, I'll look to see if there are any Red Cross or Amnesty people, but I don't think there are going to be any.

"I don't think that people from the Red Cross or people who investigate torture from Amnesty International or people from the M?decins Sans Fronti?res are less credible than US Soldiers."

"The vast mayority of all groups above are honest men. If there is a difference in what they report we must investigate it and not denounce it as "UFO sights""

I would trust the US military before I would trust any other organization on the planet. But I would trust the US military even more in this case because they were involved in the COMBAT that we speak of! The Red Cross was not or at least was not present in the numbers that US soldiers were.

Until an allegation is proven, its essentially a UFO sighting. What I can't stand is the attempt by many people in here to convict honest men and women of crimes for which there is no evidence.

Sula,

I understand where you get your views from and happen to know about those organizations. At the same time think about what its like to have a friend of 19 years extensively involved in the combat that we are talking about. I know for a fact that some people in those organizations if they could view his gun camera footage would be accusing him of war crimes, when in fact that would not be the case at all. Some of these organizations have indeed unfairly treated the Israely defense force in the pasts. I also think some in the aid organizations are ignorant of military weapons and tactics and would be more accurate in what they had to say if they eductated themselves a little more on such things.

STING2:

The military did tell us lots of crap also... i don't believe one side just in a blind manner, all i'm asking for is if there are discrepancies we should take a closer look just to ensure that everything is going fine.

Klaus

p.s. the International Red Cross was also there - they say they interviewed tortured people in Afghanistan for example, they say they weren't allowed to examine the upper level of one building also the geneva convention says that they are allowed to do this.

Other Human right organisations report the same - all i'm asking is that we examine it to ensure that there is no small group who abuses his power and pulls the name of the US army in the dirt by tortuing (or letting torture) prisoners

Klaus

Klaus,

"The military did tell us lots of crap also.."

Like what?

STING,
Do you trust any media or aid agency reports of what happened in Iraq, or do you think that only US soldiers (like your friend) can really tell you what happened there?

STING2: i don't want to turn this into a military-bash thread, so just verry few examples:

remember how the US military behaved when they tested a bombs.

US army denied (and lied) a long time that they used uranium-amunition in Grafenw?hr (Germany) for training.

Remember the OSI

The US army isn#t the only one and it's not the worst one - they are humans, and they will ever be imperfect, that's why we need unbiased control all institutions - even the military.

Klaus

Fizzing,

"Do you trust any media or aid agency reports of what happened in Iraq, or do you think that only US soldiers (like your friend) can really tell you what happened there?"

I'm sure media or aid agencies can tell what is going on but if there is a dispute about what happened I'm going to side with the military. This is a military operation and there are so many in the civilian world that are so unedecuated about military tactics, weapons, and training. The military is free to go everywhere in Iraq and has been at the seen of the major combat and battles where as most media and aid agencies have not until after the fact.

The military is better equiped and better trained than the average reporter or aid worker. The men and women of the military are trained professionals and more free of the political bias that media(often involved in spin) and aid workers(often oriented politically to the left). They are more objective in what they report. The clearest example of this is the so called "Massacre at Jenin" that media and aid workers claimed killed 7,000 palestinians. The Israely military maintained that only a few dozen civilians were killed. The Israely military was proven right!

Klaus,

"remember how the US military behaved when they tested a bombs."

Many of the effects were long term and unknown at the time. Its absurd to think the military did it on purpose to cause select number of soldiers and civilians long term health problems.

"US army denied (and lied) a long time that they used uranium-amunition in Grafenw?hr (Germany) for training."

I've known since the early 1980s that the US army used Depleted Uranium shells at the training center in Germany. I would be shocked if they did not.

The German Leopard II tank has also trained with Depleted Uranium rounds in Germany as well as the British Challenger Tank. Shhhhh......we don't want the America/Bush bashers to know that.

Every study that has been done has shown that depleted uranium is only harmful if you injest it in massive amounts. If you had depleted uranium cereral for breakfast every day that would not be good for you. But smoking and drinking alchohal will most likely cause you more health problems.

Depleted Uranium is 40% less radioactive than natural uranium and is also less toxic. Natural Uranium is everywhere. Its in the water you drink, your food, its even in you.

In the USA and South Africa, the health of Uranium Mine Workers was studied from the early 1940s to the early 1970s. It was discovered that natural uranuim, more radioactive and toxic than depleted uranium, was breathed in large doses. Despite this, the workers watched over 30 years experienced no increase in health problems than the general population.

US soldiers who were wounded in the 1991 Gulf War and currently have depleted Uranium stuck in their bodies have not experienced an increase in health problems.

To many people in the media think that Depleted Uranium is some how the equilivant of an A-BOMB. This could not be further from the truth.

Sting2: it shouldn't kick off another Uranium Discussion, it was just the proof that they lied. They told the public for years that they wouldn't use Uranium amunition.

Imho depleted Uranium gets a serious problem when it's not a big piece but it becomes dust (either from the hit of the uranium shell against another solid thing or simply from not removing it, corosion and so on.

There are various studies ongoing, some think it's unproblematic, some think it is problematic. If you take a look how non military all over the world has to store Depleted Uranium you get an idea that it might be not that harmless as the military thinks.

That brings me back to the a-bomb tests:
exactly the same, theere were verry reliable scientists who warned about the danger, the military simply ignored it, also they knew it MIGHT be dangerous (that's why they ensured that ex-soldiers can't go on trial because of that for years i guess!)
If you know about probable dangers but say it's safe you lie as the cigarette industry did for years.

Charles Ferguson, Physiker, and (ex Officier?) of the US-Navy and Member of the "american association of scientists" (hope i retranslated that correctly) Published stuff about the danger of Depleted Uranium ammunition, if you like to discuss that we can reanimate that "Depleted Uranium" thread, and i will post more about it.
Of course it's not like a a-bomb if media reports about it like if it was they have a) no clue b) abuse the problem in favour of sensationanism.

So i'm still convinced that people who decide to use Depleted Uranium ammuniton (and they ARE informed about the risks) have a lack of responsibility.

to get back to the topic.

It's the job of quality TV and newspapers to show the real risks (no sensationalism or panic-attitude) of all these things so that the citizens can make up their own mind and take their responsibility in a democracy (or republic ;))

Klaus

Klaus,

I've never seen anything that the US Army was found to be undisputibly guilty of lying about the use of Depleted Uranium rounds in Germany. I've known that the US Army has used such rounds in germany since the early 80s. The German and British military also used and fired such rounds in Germany.

The US soldiers who were wounded in the Gulf War and were in vehicles hit by Depleted Uranium rounds had Depleted Uranium inbedded in their bodies and also breathed in large amounts of Depleted Uranium dusts. There are nearly 50 Gulf War Vets that are in this catagory that were in vehicles hit by Depleted Uranium rounds and breathed in the dusts as well as having particles lodged in their bodies.

Again, these soldiers have been monitered for 12 years and have not experienced any health problems that could be do to Depleted Uranium. Their first problems that could result from the injestetion of massive amounts of Depleted Uranium is Kidney problems. The soldiers don't have any. In addition, one can measure the amount of dusts breathed in by the amount of Depleted Uranium found in the soldiers urine. As time has gone by, the amount of Depleted Uranium found in the soldiers Urine has gone done.

If that were not enough, there are 30 years of studies of people who work in Uranium mines who breath in Natural Uranium dusts on a daily basis. Thousands of workers were studied and monitered. After 30 years of studies, the workers had no more health problems than people among the general population.

"So i'm still convinced that people who decide to use Depleted Uranium ammuniton (and they ARE informed about the risks) have a lack of responsibility."

So my friends and others in the military in Iraq are irresponible for using Depleted Uranium, a substance that is half as toxic and radioactive as natural uranium?

The fact is, people staging a protests about Depleted Uranium use in Germany are far more likely to suffer health problems from the drinking of beer and smoking many will do later at a bar or pub.

STING2: since they said for years that they don't use it in german public i'd say they lied.

You are welcome to open a Depleted Uranium thread to discuss this with me, i guess it's not really ontopic here anymore.

Klaus

p.s. " The fact is, people staging a protests about Depleted Uranium use in Germany are far more likely to suffer health problems from the drinking of beer and smoking many will do later at a bar or pub."

absolutely right! but not every protester drinks alcohol and smokes ;)
And.. they have a free choice to drink or not to drink, if you live in the city where they use the Depleted Uranium the choice of non breathing is no option ;)

Back
Top Bottom