Baseball bat abortion - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
Is it illegal for minors to have sex without consent?
Are you referring to statutory rape?

Old 01-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #62
War Child

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Are you referring to statutory rape?
But does that work for two minors? Or just when an adult sleeps with a minor?

Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

But does that work for two minors? Or just when an adult sleeps with a minor?
It is a strict liability law and does not require that one person be an adult.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #64
War Child

So technically it's illegal for 2 16 year old to have sex? and both would get charged with statutory rape?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So technically it's illegal for 2 16 year old to have sex? and both would get charged with statutory rape?
Technically, both could be charged, but in reality only the males is charged.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #66
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic

I really don't understand why you quoted what I said and then replied to it with the above.

What I was saying is in regards to it not being assualt on the girl. It was consensual. It resulted in the loss of a fetus and that is the crime he is being charged with (and she should be as well.)

I really don't get your response. Sorry.
I dont get it either now I read back...
Sorry!

I think I agreed with you though? I wrote that with a renewed feeling of disgust at what he'd done so it might have come across as directed at you...Sorry again
Old 01-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #67
Jesus Online

Quote:

You've based your support of abortion on very emotional terms.

And let me try to clear up some of the confusion about my comment on the logic presented:

1. Act "X" is illegal.
2. Some people want to do act "X" despite it being illegal
3. When these people do act "X", they sometime hurt themselves
4. Therefore, we should make act "X" legal to prevent the harm.

In all that logic, you've ignore the harm done to the unborn child.

Yay we finally agree on something

Though, by this logic, this is also why I disagree with the death penalty. Act X being murder, some want to do it but it is illegal. Point 3 is moot as injury to the perpetrator is not an issue. Point 4 remains steadfast as murder is illegal regardless, but in a similarity to this case, allowing death of a person be it a fetus or adult, death is permissable in controlled circumstances and by state and court appointed personnel.

That is a hypocrisy not based on emotion, but it's irrelevant to the discussion anyway.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:

And let me try to clear up some of the confusion about my comment on the logic presented:

1. Act "X" is illegal.
2. Some people want to do act "X" despite it being illegal
3. When these people do act "X", they sometime hurt themselves
4. Therefore, we should make act "X" legal to prevent the harm.

In all that logic, you've ignore the harm done to the unborn child.

i don't think concern for the disasterous health and social consequences -- as demonstrated in this article, where parental consent laws created a situation similar, in the mind of this particular girl -- that outlawing abortion would cause to be emotional at all. if you can, please point out the emotionality of my support for *choice.*

your logic is simply too black and white for reality, which is why the law in addition to being a living thing that changes and adapts and has degrees of legality, criminality, culpability, etc. if the law is anything, it's complex.

finally, the X you point to is harmful only when it is done by people who aren't trained medical professionals.

you're also equating the life of a fetus to that of the mother -- the law does not hold them as equals.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #69
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

I dont get it either now I read back...
Sorry!

I think I agreed with you though? I wrote that with a renewed feeling of disgust at what he'd done so it might have come across as directed at you...Sorry again
It's ok I think the way I worded it was poor. Yes I am disgusted with what has happened. Its just awful.

Take care
Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:

OK, I was going to stay out of it...and I'm leaving after this comment (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know -- promises, promises ).

If a pro-choice stance is based on emotion, isn't an anti-choice stance also based on emotion (wah, those poor babies!!!!)?

Without saying "because god said so" (because what your god thinks/says has no bearing on me), what other than emotion makes you anti-choice?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Baseball bat, medical tools, either way, it's killing the baby. The stupid girl not only killed the poor baby she may have damaged her organs so she'll never be able to have kids, though IMO she doesn't deserve to be a mom It's sad the baby was big enough to feel pain

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on Indra's post. Nothing sets my temper off worse than the stupid term 'anti-choice.' That really boils my blood and makes me want to write a diatribe. Both pro and anti choice are worthless labels, because all different people approve or disapprove of different things. Unless you agree or disagree with EVERY choice it's hypocritical. But of course, those 'choice' labels are only cushy little covers for what abortion really is. Shut up with the fucking choice bullshit. It's pro abortion and anti abortion, and if you don't feel comfortable with those labels perhaps you need to reconsider your position. (btw I feel the same way about the terms pro and anti life)
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #72
Jesus Online

If I mention life, will I be labelled as one of those fundie right to lifers that you guys mention sometimes?

I can't speak for nbc as he has more religion and god in his pinky finger than I have in my entire godless little body. But this isn't about god or choice or any of those things. It's about humanity wanting to value life more than it currently is and more near where it really should be. Those who believe that abortion should be an option of course DON'T think contrary to this, I know. I believe it shouldn't be such a readily available option until so many more have been explored - and again I'm not saying those who support choice are saying contrary. Every counter claim to any points I make are going to be very legitimately argued, as they are legitimate and very valid. Yet the figures alone show that there is a huge shortfall in preventing the need for abortion. I dont believe society should stop the availability of abortion because there are so many unfortunate circumstances which lead to it. Infact pretty much any woman who ends up at that choice is already in a tragic and saddening situation. That's no need to vilify them, or to criminalise the act, though some might argue that it is.

Perhaps that is emotion.

I'm really not making much sense today. Like always.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Baseball bat, medical tools, either way, ...
One's legal and one isn't. That is the point here.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #74
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

OK, I was going to stay out of it...and I'm leaving after this comment (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know -- promises, promises ).

If a pro-choice stance is based on emotion, isn't an anti-choice stance also based on emotion (wah, those poor babies!!!!)?

Without saying "because god said so" (because what your god thinks/says has no bearing on me), what other than emotion makes you anti-choice?

Not to answer for NB but, I think maybe the principle here in this case would be that of life and respecting that. Obviously people that are pro-life feel life begins at conception. That is a principle that people do in fact get emotional over, but it is a principle nonetheless.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #75
Acrobat

Quote:
Yes so called consent or not he should be prosecuted, no matter what. He's being charged with feticide because a baby was lost and it's the higher of the two charges.

When did I ever say desperation was an excuse? I said consent under desperation I wouldn't exactly consider sound mind.

But for what, stupidity? I think it would be very difficult to prove her part in it. How do you prove her consent or that she wasn't temporarily insane?
I am not saything this kid should not be prosecuted. I really think you are failing to see the point here. You initially began stating that the difference in this is this is assualt not abortion essentially. The thing is, this boy is being tried for feticide not assault. THAT is the point I am making! It goes beyond assualt because a life was killed and as a result that is why the greater charge is being persued. You said in a post the difference to all of this is, what this boy did is assault. If it were assualt he would have been charged with that not the other.

I am not saying desperation is an excuse. I am saying that the boy could have been equally as desperate as the girl. You are automatically assuming that is not the case. You are also assuming it was the boy's idea. How do you know the girl didn't suggest it? How do you know that the boy was not reluctant to even do this and his girlfriend persuaded him? You are making these huge leaps here from the very limited information provided in that article. You are automatically assuming this boy thought all this up and carried it out and furthermore this girl was under emotional stress or was temporarily insane and was the victim in all of this. I don't see how you have come to these conclusions with the bits of information at hand.

The fact that they did not charge her, according to the article, is to do with local courts violating federal law. If they charged the girl it would violate Roe v Wade. So even if this girl had said "Yeh, it was all my idea and he really didn't want to do it but I pleded with him" it wouldn't have mattered. Had the child been able to sustain life at the point it was aborted, she would have then been charged as an accomplice. She should not be able to walk away from this and have this boy take all the blame. That is not just.