Barnes & Nobles to stock O.J.'s book.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now some people are saying he was setup, it's the victimization of OJ all over again

LOS ANGELES (AP) - If the Goldman family has its way, it may soon own the sports memorabilia O.J. Simpson is accused of committing armed robbery to recover for himself. Meanwhile, one man charged with the former football star said Tuesday that the Las Vegas hotel room dispute seemed like a setup.

Walter Alexander, 46, said Simpson may have been tricked because the memorabilia dealer who tipped him off also recorded everything on tape.

"It sounds like a setup to me," Alexander told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Tuesday. He said Simpson had thought the memorabilia belonged to him after getting a call from the dealer.

"He did believe that he was going to retrieve his own property," Alexander said.

Simpson was being held without bail Tuesday in Clark County Detention Center on six felonies, including two counts of robbery with use of a deadly weapon. Witnesses and authorities have said that they don't believe Simpson had a gun but that some of the men with him did. If convicted, Simpson could receive up to 30 years in state prison on each robbery count.

Simpson has been in and out of the spotlight since he was acquitted of murder in the deaths of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman.

The Goldman family, which won a civil verdict against Simpson, has waged a decade-long campaign to track down and claim his assets to fulfill the civil verdict. It planned to file a request in Superior Court on Tuesday to obtain ownership of the sports memorabilia seized.

David Cook, an attorney for Goldman's father, Fred Goldman, said he believed Nevada authorities would turn over the items with a court order after Simpson's criminal case finishes. The items include Simpson's Hall of Fame certificate, a gold Rolex watch and the suit Simpson wore on the day he was acquitted, Cook said.

"Assuming that this case is resolved one way or another, at the end of the case, the stuff will never go back to Mr. Simpson," Cook vowed. "He's going to walk out of Clark County empty-handed."

Another man suspected in the alleged heist surrendered Monday. Clarence Stewart, 53, of Las Vegas, lived at one of the residences that police searched early Sunday to recover some of the memorabilia.

Stewart turned over some of the missing goods, including footballs bearing autographs, police said. He was being held on six felony charges, including robbery with a deadly weapon and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

A fourth man, Tom Scotto, was questioned and cleared of suspicion after police concluded he was not in the room, reducing the number of outstanding suspects to two, police said. Both were apparently seeking attorneys and preparing to surrender, police said.

Alexander, who faces charges almost identical to Simpson's, said he went to Las Vegas for a wedding and not to see Simpson. "I just happened to get caught up in a bad situation," he told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Simpson's arraignment was set for Wednesday. Yale Galanter, Simpson's lawyer, said he was preparing a bond motion and will ask for Simpson's release on his own recognizance.

"If it was anyone other than O.J. Simpson, he would have been released by now," he said.

"You can't rob something that is yours," Galanter said. "O.J. said, 'You've got stolen property. Either you return it or I call the police.'"

The Goldmans hope the property never finds its way back to Simpson.

In 1997, a civil jury in Santa Monica returned $33.5 million in judgments against Simpson in a wrongful-death lawsuit by the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

The jury awarded $8.5 million in compensatory damages to Ron Goldman's estate and a total of $25 million in punitive damages, divided equally between both estates. Despite extensive court hearings, however, most of the judgment has remained unpaid.

In 1999, seized personal property was auctioned off, raising only $430,000, more than half of it from the sale of his Heisman Trophy. The house itself did not generate anything toward paying the judgment. A bank foreclosed on the home, put it up for auction and bought it back.

Tuesday's hearing was originally scheduled in connection with any money the Goldmans say Simpson earned from a video game featuring his likeness.

"You can't rob something that is yours," Galanter said. "O.J. said, 'You've got stolen property. Either you return it or I call the police.'"

:lol: That's not exactly what he said, at least according to the tape that was released.

As legal experts have said on tv, it does not matter if he sincerely believed that stuff was his. If people went into the rooms with guns, even if O.J. didn't have a gun, it's still armed robbery.

Say if my car was stolen and I know who did it. I could go up to the guy and ask for my car back. I could not go up to the guy with two of my friends pointing guns at him and demand my car back.

kellyahern said:

:lol: That's not exactly what he said, at least according to the tape that was released.

As legal experts have said on tv, it does not matter if he sincerely believed that stuff was his. If people went into the rooms with guns, even if O.J. didn't have a gun, it's still armed robbery.

Say if my car was stolen and I know who did it. I could go up to the guy and ask for my car back. I could not go up to the guy with two of my friends pointing guns at him and demand my car back.

So true. The thing is, I think the stuff probably was stolen from OJ. But gee, let's say you're OJ, you have to figure that if you bum rush some guy's hotel room packing heat the cops are going to charge you with everything they can think of, and maybe even make up some stuff on top of it. Not smart, Mr. Simpson.

Fred Goldman and the Goldman family rub me the wrong way. They need to get over it. I'm not saying they need to get over losing their son - that's obviously something you never get over - I'm simply saying that they need to get over the hatred that has consumed them and is obviously still consuming them. Every time OJ is in the news for anything, they are sticking their heads in, either to say what a monster he is or to try to take something from him, monetary or material, in attempt to fulfill the civil settlement.

All the money in the world, OJ's Hall Of Fame certificate, a rolex, a suit, rights to a book he was going to publish, whatever, NONE of it is going to bring their son back and NONE of it is going to make them feel any better. At all. This much is fact.

If someone I love were murdered, I wouldn't WANT the murderer's money or his belongings. I'd probably just try to forget he exists and grieve by celebrating my child's life instead of allowing this intense hatred to consume me eternally.

These people are obviously tortured and they will be until they let go of this hatred that has weighed them down for so long.

ditto that kelly :up:

and the Goldman's are doing whatever they can for restitution. Making sure that OJ gets nothing at whatever cost. And he shouldn't get anything, except a prison cell :mad:

namkcuR said:
Fred Goldman and the Goldman family rub me the wrong way. They need to get over it. I'm not saying they need to get over losing their son - that's obviously something you never get over - I'm simply saying that they need to get over the hatred that has consumed them and is obviously still consuming them. Every time OJ is in the news for anything, they are sticking their heads in, either to say what a monster he is or to try to take something from him, monetary or material, in attempt to fulfill the civil settlement.

All the money in the world, OJ's Hall Of Fame certificate, a rolex, a suit, rights to a book he was going to publish, whatever, NONE of it is going to bring their son back and NONE of it is going to make them feel any better. At all. This much is fact.

If someone I love were murdered, I wouldn't WANT the murderer's money or his belongings. I'd probably just try to forget he exists and grieve by celebrating my child's life instead of allowing this intense hatred to consume me eternally.

These people are obviously tortured and they will be until they let go of this hatred that has weighed them down for so long.

He taunted Kim Goldman during that whole trial. He glared at her and even said taunting things to her. After the civil verdict he stated publicly that he would do everything possible to make sure Fred Goldman and his family never saw a cent from him. He was an arrogant sob before the criminal verdict, and became even more arrogant after getting away with two murders. One of his former agents was on Anderson Cooper last night and he admitted that he helped OJ avoid paying the judgment and hide his assets and income-you can read the transcript on cnn.com. So all that alone would make the average person very angry-let alone the act that he brutally murdered their beautiful son and brother who did nothing but try to help a woman because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

How you would react to it really has no bearing on how they should react. Frankly I'm so impressed that they do so well under the circumstances.

OJ has (allegedly) offshore accounts? :shocked:

TMZ has obtained an audiotape recorded one hour after O.J.Simpson and his crew allegedly robbed two men in a Las Vegas hotel room.

An hour after the incident, Bruce Fromong, a sports memorabilia dealer and an alleged victim, can be heard ranting, "Nobody puts a gun in my f****n' face. I stood up for that motherf***er in -- in while he was in jail. I stood up for him in the press. I stood up for him on the, on the stand. I helped him set up his f***in' offshore accounts. Don't f**k with me."

If true, this could be a road map for Fred Goldman to go after Simpson's assets.

Fromong had a serious heart attack days after the incident, but is improving. His condition was upgraded to fair this morning.

Poll: Simpson divides whites, blacks

By ALAN FRAM, Associated Press WriterThu Sep 27

The nation is sharply polarized over O.J. Simpson's armed robbery case, with whites far likelier than blacks to say the former football great is guilty of the charges and is being treated fairly, according to a poll released Thursday.

By 70 percent to 10 percent, whites said they believe the charges against Simpson are true, according to the Associated Press-Ipsos poll. Blacks were far more divided, though still tilting slightly toward believing he is guilty, 41 percent to 37 percent.

About three-quarters of whites said they believe Simpson has been treated fairly by the Las Vegas authorities who arrested him earlier this month on charges of seizing sports memorabilia items at gunpoint from two men in a hotel room. By about the same number, whites also said they think Simpson will receive a fair trial.

But blacks were divided about evenly over whether the one-time Heisman Trophy winner was treated fairly, and by 55 percent to 36 percent said they believe Simpson's trial will not be fair.

While 74 percent of whites said they think Simpson was guilty of the 1994 killings of his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman, only 31 percent of blacks agreed. Simpson was found not guilty of the slayings, but was later found liable for their deaths in a civil suit.

On a larger question, 85 percent of blacks said they believe they and other minorities do not get the same treatment as whites in the criminal justice system. Whites said so too, but by a narrower margin of 50 percent to 44 percent.

On one question the two races agreed wholeheartedly: Nearly nine in 10 of each said they are tired of hearing about Simpson.

The survey was taken from Sept. 21-25 and involved telephone interviews with 1,317 adults. It had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points. Included were interviews with 368 blacks, for whom the margin of sampling error was plus or minus 5 percentage points.

In addition, 865 whites were interviewed, and the margin of sampling error for whites was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Not really surprising I suppose. Doesn't it seem like the margin of error should be more than 5% in polls like this? 1300 people seems like a very small sample, even more so a sample of only 368 black people.

In the very un-scientific "People CT Knows" poll the overwhelming majority of black & white folks thinks OJ did it in '94. While it's not 1300 people (I'm not that cool), it's a pretty big sample.

As far as the Vegas burglary charges I think they going to try their best to throw everything at him. It will be "legal" of course, so I guess in that respect you could call it "fair", but he will face a stiffer penalty than he would if he were Joe Public, rather than a guy that the whole world thinks got away with murder...and there's not way he gets a fair trial. I can't see how a trial of OJ Simpson anywhere in the US could pull a pool of impartial jurors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom