Barbara Bush - Please stick a SOCK in your mouth!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that Rep. Richard H. Baker, a 10-term Republican from Baton Rouge, was overheard telling lobbyists: "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did."

"The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that Rep. Richard H. Baker, a 10-term Republican from Baton Rouge, was overheard telling lobbyists: "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did."

Wow. If that happened in my country Baker would have to leave his office.

maybe DeLay told them to stop "whining'

"Ever wonder why House Majority Leader Tom DeLay , seemingly always under fire, never frowns? Insiders say he has a strict rule on complaining: Don't! Even his coffee cup displays the word Whining crossed out."

Funny how we take DeLay's soundbite and run with our mock disgust.

Perhaps we should imagine what the FYM representative would say to these three young boys in order to encourage them......

[scene changes from virtual ivory tower to Reliant Park]

"You know, you could be home today if GWB cared about you. After all, he cut the levee funding - that means he wanted you flooded out of your home. And when the storm hit, he told his FEMA buddy to sit tight for a couple of days before responding. After all, it is because you are African Americans. GWB just doesn't care about you - Kanye West said so.

Now, stay in school and do well. Don't join the army, or GWB will send you far away to get killed. And if any of you boys want to marry each other, GWB won't let you. Here is a Michael Moore DVD - he tells the real truth."

There, that should encourage the boys :up:

[/tongueincheek]

nbc, that's disappointing. I don't put myself in an ivory tower, that's for sure. His (DeLay's) comment is bizarre to me, maybe he just doesn't quite know how to relate to people. I'm sorry, I just don't understand it. Maybe he was nervous and uncomfortable and that made him say something like that, I will give him that for sure.

I'm sorry that this is dividing us here, but I'm not going to hold back on my opinion either

You are putting everyone here in a real neat box w/ that post, and I don't fit in that box- neither do many people here

It was sarcasm and drawn from a multitude of posts here across many threads.

As for talking with young children, I would imagine that any of us would shed a positive light on the situation to calm any fears or uncertainty. As the father of a 10-year old boy, I would imagine that most young boys would think it was cool to visit a big arena.

Of course, we only get a soundbite of DeLay's comments. He may be a cold, heartless bastard and that is all he said. Or, he could have said many encouraging words to the children, and the "cool" comment was all we got.

nbcrusader said:
Don't join the army, or GWB will send you far away to get killed.

It was sarcasm and drawn from a multitude of posts here across many threads.

Sarcasm mixed with bitter truth.

nbcrusader said:
"You know, you could be home today if GWB cared about you. After all, he cut the levee funding - that means he wanted you flooded out of your home. And when the storm hit, he told his FEMA buddy to sit tight for a couple of days before responding. After all, it is because you are African Americans. GWB just doesn't care about you - Kanye West said so.

Now, stay in school and do well. Don't join the army, or GWB will send you far away to get killed. And if any of you boys want to marry each other, GWB won't let you. Here is a Michael Moore DVD - he tells the real truth."

other than the Michael Moore part, everything you've said is pretty much true.

nbcrusader said:

As for talking with young children, I would imagine that any of us would shed a positive light on the situation to calm any fears or uncertainty.

True :).

As the father of a 10-year old boy, I would imagine that most young boys would think it was cool to visit a big arena.

Yes, if they were just visiting. These boys have lost their home, their toys, maybe pets or family members, will have to go to a different school in a strange place. Goodness knows what they might have seen over the past couple of weeks. And Delay's talking about "isn't this fun?". And I'm sure he was trying to be encouraging, but it was still a dumb comment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom