Barbara Bush - Please stick a SOCK in your mouth!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, so if you think she mis-spoke or was quoted wrong, what exactly was she trying to say then? What was she really trying to convey? Because all the alternatives sound just as bad.

And I don't buy this "Oh, she's priviledged. She's disconnected." I grew up in an upper-class neighborhood and I would NEVER say something like that.

This all reminds me of the parable Jesus tells in the Bible and forgive me if I get the details wrong. He is telling the story of two people -- a rich man and a poor woman -- who give money at the temple. The rich man may have given more but it is the poor woman who has made the bigger sacrifice because she gave all she could whereas the rich man was giving some change in his pocket. Same with this disaster. A rich man could lose his house and all his belongings but he still has money for a down payment on a new place from his insurance company. He still has a second home in the mountains to go to. He still has a huge sail boat he can stay on if need be.

Meanwhile, the poor woman may also completely lose her house but she has NOTHING left. She couldn't afford insurance so she has to wait for the government to get its ass in gear [and you want to trust this government now]. She has to wait for assistance with thousands of other people. She has nowhere else to go and no way to get there. She doesn't have a second home. She can't afford a rental car to drive anywhere or the gas to drive it. She has absolutely nothing.

Now you tell me -- Babs said this woman is lucky because she's getting new stuff. Well, rich people are getting new houses too.

That being said, you can buy a house or a car or whatever, but, rich or poor, no matter who you were, there are things that were destroyed that you can never replace. I think that's the bigger loss.

nbcrusader said:
There are some distinctions between public/private life.

And we are engaged in a public discussion.

And I know that we do not like people to suggest standards to which they will not live themselves.

she is free to retract her comments at any time.

also, no one cares what i think.

many people care what the mother and wife of a president thinks.

sharky said:
Now you tell me -- Babs said this woman is lucky because she's getting new stuff. Well, rich people are getting new houses too.

yes.

W is really looking forward to sitting on Trent Lott's brand new porch one day.

No amount of government-assisted funding is going to make things right or shiny for these people. They aren't going to all of the sudden be given an ATM card and keys to a Buick

Just read on CNN they are in fact going to be given ATM cards.

LOL

MadelynIris said:

Just read on CNN they are in fact going to be given ATM cards.

LOL

Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards

The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff descibed the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials the displaced people need, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

there is power in Houston and the other places where the survivors have been evacuated to

:huh:

McClellan, at the White House briefing, said: "I think she was making a personal observation on some of the comments that people were making that she was running into. ... But what we're focused on is helping these people who are in need."

Asked if Bush agreed with his mother, McClellan said: "I think that the observation is based on someone or some people that were talking to her that were in need of a lot of assistance, people that have gone through a lot of trauma and been through a very difficult and trying time. And all of a sudden, they are now getting great help in the state of Texas from some of the shelters."

I am sorry....she is on audio tape...ther eis NO Misquoting....There is no retraction....it was not waht I would expect anyone to say.

Dreadsox said:
I am sorry....she is on audio tape...ther eis NO Misquoting....There is no retraction....it was not waht I would expect anyone to say.

Yeah, there's no getting aroung the "were underprivileged anyway" part of the sentence :( .

The sad thing is, she's not the only person who would say something like this. You'd be surprised at what comes out of some peoples' mouths. Like at a staff meeting today for instance . . . :no:.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

Yeah, there's no getting aroung the "were underprivileged anyway" part of the sentence :( .

well she IS an arrogant, haughty bitch.

The sad thing is, she's not the only person who would say something like this. You'd be surprised at what comes out of some peoples' mouths. Like at a staff meeting today for instance . . . :no:.

eeewwww that doesn't sound good, kelly. :tsk: :hug:

Dreadsox said:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could say she was misquoted or misinterpreted or anything like that.

She's not a bad person or anything - she just said something stupid without thinking about the consequences first.

It was horrible what she said, the way she said it, and everything.

Why did some of you come in here and try to explain it or make excuses or what-not?

Jaws_Bait.jpg

~U2Alabama

a quote from someone equally clueless, but at least she's got a heart:

"Who cares if they take a TV? These people have been poor all their life - let them have that ONE moment of touching what they've never had!" - Celine Dion

Irvine511 said:

"Who cares if they take a TV? These people have been poor all their life - let them have that ONE moment of touching what they've never had!" - Celine Dion

I saw that when she was on Larry King, "Larry I'm so frustrAAted".and the way she kept wiping her tears w/ her pinky fingers. At least she does seem far more sensitive about their plight than Barbara Bush is, but then again that's not so difficult.

sue4u2 said:

and her apple didn't fall too far from her tree either.

maybe she was the one who gave him the great line about how Katrina is a "temporary disruption."

DeLay to evacuees: 'Is this kind of fun?'

U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's visit to Reliant Park this morning offered him a glimpse of what it's like to be living in shelter.

While on the tour with top administration officials from Washington, including U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao and U.S. Treasury Secretary John W. Snow, DeLay stopped to chat with three young boys resting on cots.

The congressman likened their stay to being at camp and asked, "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?"

They nodded yes, but looked perplexed.

With a group of reporters and press officers in tow, DeLay then moved on, chatting with others, including a local IRS representative. He then visited with job recruiters set up in Reliant Park.

Earlier DeLay spoke with volunteers and thanked them for their service.

"You are becoming famous all over this country and even the world," he said, adding that he's often approached by lawmakers commending Houston's response to

Unreal.

I can see a parent trying to make it a game of sorts to keep young kids from freaking out in that situation, but for someone in the public eye to say it just boggles the mind.

Are these people that freaking clueless to think it's going to make a good soundbite?

And for anyone in that position to not be aware that anything they said will be made into a soundbite is kidding themselves.

Back
Top Bottom