Barbara Bush - Please stick a SOCK in your mouth!!!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:05 PM
Yeah, I'm sick of the Michael Moore thing, too. He needs to get rid of the childish crap and maybe more people will listen to him.

Anyway ...

I'm trying to think of a positive spin for the Barbara quote as well, and failing. Do you think she could have meant it as a "let's look at the bright side of things"?

Yeah, I dunno. That's all I've got.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Has she met any poor people yet?

Old 09-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's also high time we stop wasting our time trying to think of positive ways that she may have meant this. Also goes for people other than her who have made inappropriate statements.

Let's call a spade a spade and stop playing apologist. She's out of line. She has no concept of what it is like to be that poor. And if she cannot muster an ounce of sympathy for them, then shut the f*ck up. Nobody in that Astrodome gives a $hit about her appearance anyway. If you can't be unoffensive, stay home and say nothing.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:31 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 09-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 10:05 PM
wow, and you know the REALLY scary part....she's the smart member of the Bush family
Old 09-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Let's call a spade a spade and stop playing apologist.
Okay!

Barbara Bush is a Grade A moron for saying that.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Former first lady and mother to President Bush said Monday that evacuees from New Orleans have found a home in Houston.

"Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston," Barbara Bush told NPR.

"What I’m hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this --this is working very well for them."
Yes - it is actually going to work out well for them. They will get new homes, cash and new lives. In many, many cases, this new beginning will be much better than it was in New Orleans.

So, I understand what she is saying. For those that were more priveleged, it's gonna suck. Because they lost a lot, and will not ever, ever get it back.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Barbara Bush: Things Working Out "Very Well" for Poor Evacuees from New Orleans

By E&P Staff

Published: September 05, 2005 7:25 PM ET updated 8:00 PM

NEW YORK Accompanying her husband, former President George H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

The former First Lady's remarks were aired this evening on National Public Radio's "Marketplace" program.

She was part of a group in Houston today at the Astrodome that included her husband and former President Bill Clinton, who were chosen by her son, the current president, to head fundraising efforts for the recovery. Sen. Hilary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama were also present.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."
Old 09-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #24
Refugee

ah yes, I had a shot and now the logic is coming through *hic*
Old 09-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
wow, and you know the REALLY scary part....she's the smart member of the Bush family
I don't know about that, George Sr. graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Yale, he's not without accomplishments to be sure. Barbara has some good traits but she sure as hell didn't exhibit them with this dumbass remark.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Let's lock Kanye and Barbara in a room together and see what happens?

Hmmmmm
Old 09-05-2005, 06:42 PM   #27
Refugee

Yeah George Sr is smart...even though I find him to be the scary/sleezy kind of smart. You know, like a madman hell bent on taking over the world....
Old 09-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Let's lock Kanye and Barbara in a room together and see what happens?

Hmmmmm

my money is on Babs. She looks like she could be a tough old bat
Old 09-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

Yes - it is actually going to work out well for them. They will get new homes, cash and new lives. In many, many cases, this new beginning will be much better than it was in New Orleans.

So, I understand what she is saying. For those that were more priveleged, it's gonna suck. Because they lost a lot, and will not ever, ever get it back.
OK, that's just unreal.

Let me tell you something about being poor and losing everything. I lived in a developing country and lost absolutely everything in a war. When I say I was poor, I mean I had the clothes on my back. Literally, that was it.

When you have LITTLE and you lose that LITTLE, you have lost it all. It is much more profound for a poor person to lose the only scrap they have, and in many cases, all poor people have is each other, than it is for a Trent Lott to lose a house.

Do you think those people think they are better off because they lost family members, neighbours and their little trailer they lived in because somewhere down the road they'll get a bigger, shinier, newer trailer? I guarantee you they would give anything to go back to what they had.

There really are two different Americas if people think this way.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
Yeah George Sr is smart...even though I find him to be the scary/sleezy kind of smart. You know, like a madman hell bent on taking over the world....
By my estimates he has been in charge since 1970. He tried earlier with the Kennedy assasination....and lost power when the nation farted an elected carter.....Then there was the Clinton years.....but....pretty much since 1970 Daddy has been running the shots.