Barack Obama & Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But those "juvenile rants" , and the "juvenile" attitude, produced some dang good music.

Prove to me that U2's music in this decade is as good, in any way. It's good, but not GREAT.

U2 have always been at their absolute best when they're musically pissed off. Or in pain.

The last 2 albums have some great moments but on the whole are artistically wishy-washy to me. This "feel-goodness" musically matches Bono's kumbaya political politeness. It does not become him, or U2.

As far as Obama goes, this card-carrying Gen X'er does not give carte blanche to anybody b/c they're from a certain generation. I am not as starstruck by Obama as many are. I don't care about someone's personal charisma and Kennedy-esque personality, because the challenges he would face are far graver, and the world much different, than 1960. Our problems are not going to go away just b/c someone can go on TV and say, "Ich Be Ein Berliner." On September 12, 2001, the world cried, "We are all Americans" but for some strange (or not so strange?) reason, the TV networks didn't show this--all we got was the WTC coming down a MILLION TIMES OVER and the TV headlines screaming AMERICAS NEW WAR. And then we proceeded to give the world the finger. Obama's smile will fade very fast. Esp when he finds out that our repentance will come 4 yrs too late. The world is moving on--I read the foreign news when I can.

As my uncle said in 2004, one term of Bush has done enough damage; but 2 and the damage will be irreparable. What can anyone realistically do to make us the world's friend again? How do we restore the intergrity of the Fourth Estate? How do we end the plague of corporate cronyism that is sucking the life out of the country like a leech? How do we instill a spirit of sacrifice in the American people? Are we ready to sacrifice to achieve "victory in the so-called GWOT, and just what is that in the first place, if Obama doen't hunt down and hand over Osama to the ICC? Will we ration gasoline, chocolate, clothing, buy war bonds? I'm breathless to know. And thisis just domestic issues. How do we get our manufacturing capacity back, so China wouldn't defeat us in a rescource war, if we had to go to total war footing like in WW2? Do we think that factories in Mexico will produce our weapons for us, and that Pemex can provide us with enough oil?

For me, the true test of a Democratic politican these days is how they have reacted in the past year to Bush's policies. Not words, but ACTIONS, or open endorsements of actions. It is indicative of how they will perform once they take office. Politics and the need to be cautious on the campaign trial (ie political smarts) do not count. Not now, when, (to steal a Bono-ism) the National Edifice is on Fire. And nobody has even bothered to pull out a squirt gun. We don't need someone reading a paper. We need a Cincinnatus who will drop his plow and storm the building with an army. Not 12 months from now, but NOW. We have no time to lose. People do not realize how serious the danger is.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

For me, the true test of a Democratic politican these days is how they have reacted in the past year to Bush's policies. Not words, but ACTIONS, or open endorsements of actions. It is indicative of how they will perform once they take office. Politics and the need to be cautious on the campaign trial (ie political smarts) do not count. Not now, when, (to steal a Bono-ism) the National Edifice is on Fire. And nobody has even bothered to pull out a squirt gun. We don't need someone reading a paper. We need a Cincinnatus who will drop his plow and storm the building with an army. Not 12 months from now, but NOW. We have no time to lose. People do not realize how serious the danger is.

This is great!

*sigh* I hope so. I have just made 2 similar posts in the "Democratic Primary, Part 2" Thread, and been chewed out by a couple of people there--one person called me "the most cynical jaded person ever on Interference."

I'd love to know what you think....:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom