Barack Obama & Bono - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Ohhkay. I didn't realize this was an old thread. I too immediately thought Obama had announced his running mate

Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Yeah, I think Bono's always been liberal in the US political sense, but is very willing to negotiate with both sides in order to make a difference for the poor. He doesn't mind "selling out" (some accusations of people who didn't like him meeting with Bush) in order to help the impoverished, which is admirable.
Yep, exactly. But there is a part of me really misses the old pissed off Bono, when he would speak his mind freely about how he really feels. (more liberal than not)
The good ole days... sigh.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeannieco

Yep, exactly. But there is a part of me really misses the old pissed off Bono, when he would speak his mind freely about how he really feels. (more liberal than not)
FUCK THE REVOLUTION!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^^^

Bono pissed off =
Old 01-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Seriously, if this were the ticket, the White House could be called the Funky House.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Regardless of his work, he couldn't publicly endorse/support a candidate.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:46 AM
I hope Bono is okay
Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's Betty
he's a rockstar not a politician

Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Peter Garrett is quite the human being. (And a strong, progressive Christian, too.) Midnight Oil was my first concert ever. Good times.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 AM   #25
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 08:46 AM
I actually think Bono and Barack have a lot in common.

(Cool Peter Garrett pictures).
Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #26
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 08:46 AM

The Bono-Obama Generation

http://medializzy.wordpress.com/2008...ma-generation/

Generation X. Born from approximately 1961 - 1980. The children of Baby Boomers and Beatniks. We saw the Berlin wall come down, the Marine barracks in Beirut blown up, glasnost and perestroika crest and fall, the first shuttle launch - the Challenger disaster - and now, we are watching the end of the Shuttle program. Our men were young, fresh from high school and college when they went to liberate Kuwait in late 1990 and early 1991. Now - they are commanding forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. We remember the hostage release in Iran and we were children when Black September was the violent islamist group everyone feared. We remember the Achille Lauro and when hijacked airplanes landed on the tarmac instead of crashing into buildings. We remember the famine in Ethiopia. The genocide in Rwanda. We remember the Mog because it was our men who died there, and at Khobar Towers.

The soundtrack for our generation features Bob Geldof, Bono and U2. Sure, a lot of other artists are socially conscious. But ask a Gen Xer whose voice they hear when they see the news in Darfur, you’ll get U2 as an answer. More than a few of us skipped school the day the Joshua Tree record was released. Whether you bought it on tape or vinyl, it was a big deal.

We were deprived of knowing Martin Luther King, Jr. and Bobby Kennedy and JFK. Because these great men were assassinated. We remember when Sadat died. We have watched as Baby Boomers ran in fear from every major challenge, shirked every responsibility, talked the talk about social justice but refused to let go of youth. They fought in a botched war (Vietnam) and are determined to make Iraq just as awful - they don’t care how many die in my generation — they just want us to feel their pain.

Here’s my thought - and it’s shared by many, if not expressed outright - Screw Off. Take your obsession with your wasted youth and get the hell out of leadership. Baby Boomers in the federal bureaucracy - whether in Congress, the White House, or on K Street - are trapped in a nightmare of their own making. GROW UP.

Gen Xers are ready to lead. We gave the world YouTube, Google, and ONE - with the help of modern visionaries like Bono. Our people, like Pierre-Richard Prosper, are the War Crimes Prosecutors - for the genocide Baby Boomers did nothing to stop. Our people, like Barack Obama, are motivating people in amazing ways — look at the Iowa Caucus results. And he isn’t just scaring Hillary Clinton - according to The Washington Post, GOP Doubts, Fears ‘Post-Partisan’ Obama.

Do you know why the “conventional wisdom” says that Obama can’t possibly motivate youth? Because the people providing the CW, are Baby Boomers. And yes-men. The 2008 presidential election may be the first election where Generation X assumes control of the Republic. It may be a chance to finally cut ties to the past - and move towards a future without the personal dramas of the past.

American voters don’t care how the Baby Boomers feel ANY MORE. That’s why elder statesman McCain is rising in the Republican field. At least McCain gives the impression he still believes in the American ideal. There is no place for petulance in presidential politics. Generation X is leading younger brothers and sisters of Generation Y, to the polls for the first time. Voters want authenticity and change.

And they are willing to take a chance on a guy, like Obama, who is one of their own - rather than give one more ounce of credit to the generation that presided over the obstacles and social engineering that our tax dollars are paying for.

This is not an endorsement of Obama, it is an endorsement of change.

—Media Lizzy
Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeannieco

Errr no.

Bono has matured so much both as an artist and a political person. I would find it disturbing to see him act like that today. He's above that and it's good this way. He's too old for juvenile rants.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^^Hey Unicorn, I wasn't saying that I wanted him to do it today in the context of all his work.. ect. I am so proud of him it's not even funny and one of his biggest supporters/fans!!

I was just missing the days when he could speak his mind without regard to any political agenda he has.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Interestingly enough, one of Peter Garrett's favorite books is Obama's "The Audacity of Hope."

http://www.petergarrett.com.au/6.aspx

Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And he listens to U2 in the shower.