Barack Obama - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 04:28 AM
'First black president'? That would make me as proud to be an American as the election of a woman would. Perhaps moreso, I'd love to see the people who think only white men are fit to lead swallow such a blatant refutiation of such an untenable position.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:39 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Barack Obama was wonderful. I'm so glad there's a thread about him in Interference...he's a star.

I think there's an excellent article on Obama on The New Yorker website; it was in the magazine about 2 months ago, and made him sound terrific.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i'll vote twice just for you.
A true Chicagoan!

How in the hell have I missed this thread?

On the eve of the Illinois Primary, I read up on all of the candidates (all parties, all candidates - in the Chicago Reader..but only Screaming Flower may find humor in that) as I flew out of the state. I was SO energized by the his "review" - and then bummed that i had not register in time to vote - that I could not wait to get back to Illinois to find out if he won (I don't particularly like the part of the state I live in, so looking forward to it is an odd thing). I remember getting off the plane and running to a news stand to see all the papers with Obama on the cover.

He has been compared with the late Paul Wellstone (D - Minnesota). I am not sure if he will be that far left....but I do have to say that there has not been a candidate, since having the opportunity to vote for Wellstone, that excites me like Obama.

I really hope I still have a residence in Illinois when November roles around - JUST so I can vote for Obama (or Screaming Flower will have to vote THREE times).
Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Question:

Why is he so bloody popular? I mean the guy has a lock on whatever he's running for, that much is obvious. But why?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:29 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:28 PM
he is intelligent, well-spoken and has a great record in the Illinois State Senate.

As for the "lock" in Illinois...he has no one to run against right now. The Republicans drove out a perfectly good candidate after local Chicago media outlets forced a court to release some closed divorce papers of the then candidate (Jack Ryan). I really don't think the findings were that damaging, but the Republicans did. It is too bad....he may have been the only hope for the Republicans...unless you see as "the coach" (DITKA) as someone you would want in the US senate.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:32 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

On an aside...

I was flipping past the channels when I flew past ABC. The View was on so I went as quickly as possible. However my eye caught something. A button that Star Jones was wearing... a big OBAMA with some small writing underneath. I had to do a double-take cause I thought it said "OSAMA for President". I was like

That's my anecdote of the day.