Barack Obama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Does anyone know anything about this guy, beyond the fact that he's an Illinois state senator running for U.S. Senate? He apparently gave an amazing speech at the Democratic convention last night. Here's a clip from Salon's War Room:

"If there's a child on the South Side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child," Obama said. "If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab-American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. 'E pluribus unum.' Out of many, one."

Obama contrasted his vision with those who would divide the country. "The pundits like to slice and ice our country into red states and blue states; red states for Republicans, blue states for Democrats," he said. "But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the blue states, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the red states. We coach Little League in the blue states and have gay friends in the red states. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the Stars and Stripes, all of us defending the United States of America."

I saw his speech. It was amazing. It was inspiring, eloquent, and moving. It was the best keynote speech since Mario Cuomo's 1984 DNC keynote speech.

Will probably be elected to U. S. Swnate in Nov.

I am surprised that the GOP can not or will not put up a candidate to oppose him.

I saw his speech and it blew me away! He is 41, went to Harvard, worked as a civil rights lawyer...now lectures on constituional law...he's married.

His father was from Africa and his mom is white... Barack called it "an impossible love" I believe in his speech last night.

Here is a page all about him.

http://www.obamaforillinois.com/index.asp?Type=NONE&SEC={8683FB66-C0DB-4FAB-85C7-2FBCF770436E}

Same here Screaming Flower. I haven't been this jazzed up over a politician since Bill Clinton came on the scene. Too bad I can't vote for him seeing that I'm in Maine lol.

he's deffinetly an up and comming star for the dems... even though i didn't neccesarily agree with some of his policy points, being a republican and all, he deffinetly knows how to command an audience, and should make for a very viable candidate for higher office in a few years, baring no major screw ups

I have seen many interviews with him. He is an incredible guy, incredibly well educated, well spoken, young, enthusiastic and exciting. He could potentially be a huge trump card for the Dems in the future.

'First black president'? That would make me as proud to be an American as the election of a woman would. Perhaps moreso, I'd love to see the people who think only white men are fit to lead swallow such a blatant refutiation of such an untenable position.

Barack Obama was wonderful. I'm so glad there's a thread about him in Interference...he's a star.

I think there's an excellent article on Obama on The New Yorker website; it was in the magazine about 2 months ago, and made him sound terrific.

Screaming Flower said:
i'll vote twice just for you. :wink:

A true Chicagoan! :D

How in the hell have I missed this thread?

On the eve of the Illinois Primary, I read up on all of the candidates (all parties, all candidates - in the Chicago Reader..but only Screaming Flower may find humor in that) as I flew out of the state. I was SO energized by the his "review" - and then bummed that i had not register in time to vote - that I could not wait to get back to Illinois to find out if he won (I don't particularly like the part of the state I live in, so looking forward to it is an odd thing). I remember getting off the plane and running to a news stand to see all the papers with Obama on the cover.

He has been compared with the late Paul Wellstone (D - Minnesota). I am not sure if he will be that far left....but I do have to say that there has not been a candidate, since having the opportunity to vote for Wellstone, that excites me like Obama.

I really hope I still have a residence in Illinois when November roles around - JUST so I can vote for Obama (or Screaming Flower will have to vote THREE times).

Question:

Why is he so bloody popular? I mean the guy has a lock on whatever he's running for, that much is obvious. But why?

he is intelligent, well-spoken and has a great record in the Illinois State Senate.

As for the "lock" in Illinois...he has no one to run against right now. The Republicans drove out a perfectly good candidate after local Chicago media outlets forced a court to release some closed divorce papers of the then candidate (Jack Ryan). I really don't think the findings were that damaging, but the Republicans did. It is too bad....he may have been the only hope for the Republicans...unless you see as "the coach" (DITKA) as someone you would want in the US senate.

On an aside...

I was flipping past the channels when I flew past ABC. The View was on so I went as quickly as possible. However my eye caught something. A button that Star Jones was wearing... a big OBAMA with some small writing underneath. I had to do a double-take cause I thought it said "OSAMA for President". I was like :eek:

That's my anecdote of the day. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom