Banning School Dances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, I know how to stop the grinding at school dances...bring in that girl who wanted to wear the Confederate flag dress.

That frock would cool some loins, fer sure.

ImOuttaControl said:
"About something as innocent as a dance." Well, obviously the school administration didn't feel the the dance was too innocent, which is why they warned the students.

They probably didn't, then again, my parents were told to dance with at least 2 feet of space between them. My mother wasn't supposed to wear her skirt above the knee. Just because a principal takes his job too seriously doesn't mean the future of youth is at stake. I've seen a lot of people dance that way and it's a perfectly normal dance and if there are kids that go too far, kick them out.

"Screwing over everybody." Let me tell you one thing I know from working in schools: There must have been a big enough problem with the dances and enough people involved for the principal to take such a drastic option. If the majority of students were breaking rules and needed to be kicked out, then why have the dance?

And let me tell you something ( :sexywink: ), some principals and teachers are complete megalomaniac dickheads who have no other means of control than pulling stunts like this and have no problem if they screw over 95% of people who have nothing to do with it and just want to go out and have a good time. It's difficult to tell whether that's been the case here, but I find it very hard to believe that you have 150 kids out there who all break the rules even after you've set an example by kicking a few of them out, unless you are teaching the Children of the Corn.

It's all academic really, we'll probably never know what really went on over there. It just all seems a bit so much hassle all over some stupid dance.

Some kids are dickheads too and teachers get tired of dealing with them and their bad behavior. That is why I am no longer teaching. I was tired of being a babysitter.
The bottom line is that most kids today dont know how to act in public and have no manners.

I happen to have been to some of those dances (prom last year) and saw exactly what was going on. The kids were basically having sex right there on the dance floor. If that's how they want to dance than fine, do it somewhere else. Don't make the rest of us watch.

As for...
DrTeeth said:

And let me tell you something ( :sexywink: ), some principals and teachers are complete megalomaniac dickheads who have no other means of control than pulling stunts like this and have no problem if they screw over 95% of people who have nothing to do with it and just want to go out and have a good time.
You mixed up the %. It's about 5% of people who have nothing to do with it and the rest have everything to do with it. Apperantly it's trendy to dance like this and well, let's face it, whatever's trendy is the "in" thing to do :madspit: no matter how it makes you look.

I don't know if I would go as far as canceling all of the dances for the rest of the year, but I understand where the principal is coming from.

DrTeeth said:

They probably didn't, then again, my parents were told to dance with at least 2 feet of space between them. My mother wasn't supposed to wear her skirt above the knee. Just because a principal takes his job too seriously doesn't mean the future of youth is at stake. I've seen a lot of people dance that way and it's a perfectly normal dance and if there are kids that go too far, kick them out.

And let me tell you something ( :sexywink: ), some principals and teachers are complete megalomaniac dickheads who have no other means of control than pulling stunts like this and have no problem if they screw over 95% of people who have nothing to do with it and just want to go out and have a good time. It's difficult to tell whether that's been the case here, but I find it very hard to believe that you have 150 kids out there who all break the rules even after you've set an example by kicking a few of them out, unless you are teaching the Children of the Corn.

It's all academic really, we'll probably never know what really went on over there. It just all seems a bit so much hassle all over some stupid dance.

I've made my case. I can tell from your posts you really don't know much about what goes on at schools/dances that sort of thing.

ribbons&bows said:
I happen to have been to some of those dances (prom last year) and saw exactly what was going on. The kids were basically having sex right there on the dance floor. If that's how they want to dance than fine, do it somewhere else. Don't make the rest of us watch.

As for...

You mixed up the %. It's about 5% of people who have nothing to do with it and the rest have everything to do with it. Apperantly it's trendy to dance like this and well, let's face it, whatever's trendy is the "in" thing to do :madspit: no matter how it makes you look.

I don't know if I would go as far as canceling all of the dances for the rest of the year, but I understand where the principal is coming from.

This sounds exactly like those who wouldn't film Elvis from the hip down. And you are making this accesment from witnessing one dance.

I want to say one more thing about this topic...does anyone else think this kind of dancing is a little icky? I mean, I know this is subjective, and I'm not talking about banning it or anything, but... okay, I love to dance. I'm not an especially great dancer, but I do enjoy it, and I used to go clubbing from time to time with my school friends when I was in college. But it seems like you can't go to a club anymore without being more or less molested. I mean, I don't mind some dirty dancing, but I think I have more of a Dirty Dancing mindset and less of...I don't know, a Ludacris mindset, maybe.

I do find it a bit nasty, personally, and I really think there should be a line drawn for school events, if only because many girls, I suspect, are uncomfortable with this kind of dancing and are also uncomfortable with screaming "Get your hands off me!" in the middle of a dance floor with all the school kids around.

But this is just one girl's opinion, of course.

Good point Pax.

There is a difference in DD and nasty. Maybe those kids go a little farther than what I've experienced at parties with teenagers.

As to ImOuttaControl's experience - same things happened at my dances in the 70's and early 80's except for the type of dancing (sex, drugs, alcohol, and R&R). I'm not condoning it, just stating a fact, things haven't changed as much as some think.

Scarletwine said:

As to ImOuttaControl's experience - same things happened at my dances in the 70's and early 80's except for the type of dancing (sex, drugs, alcohol, and R&R). I'm not condoning it, just stating a fact, things haven't changed as much as some think.

yes, i think this is true. i was in high school/junior high over 10 years ago, and i remember stories upon stories upon stories of drinking, drug use, sex, etc. it was all there then, and when you asked someone's older brother and sister, it was all there 10 years before that. what i think might be different today is the freedom kids might feel to flaunt such things -- less drugs/drinking, but more in provocative clothes and dancing (probably due to the evil, evil effect Britney/Christina/Paris have had on young girls ... the virgin/whore dichotomy that they all play off of must be terribly confusing for a 13 year old, and the equating of promiscuity with sexual/personal empowerment is also problematic ... and could be a whole other thread).

at the end of the day, no this dancing isn't appropriate for school. and administrators have to draw lines, and they have to stick to the rules they set in place. but i don't thing things are worse today then they were 10 years ago, or 20 years ago. i don't even think they're much different. i think we're all a little more hysterical and prone to sensationalistic stories due to our steady diet of media -- i'm sure Fox is loving this story, and i'm sure Bill O'Reilly is going to have an avenging-angel-of-the-moral-classes series of talking points to deliver sometime soon (if he hasn't already)

Last edited:
I graduated in 2003. I did not go to a single school dance since the beginning of Grade 11 that I did not show up drunk and end up grinding at. And I went to just about every single school dance in Grades 11 and 12.

People need to realize that grinding leads NOWHERE. We had a pack of about 8-10 good friends (all guys) that would all go pre-drink for the dance and show up and hang out together, go find our female friends and grind with them. And these girls were damn hot. But guess what? We grinded for a song, maybe two, then we'd leave the girl back to her friends and go get a Coke in the cafeteria, or go hang out with the guys again. It didn't involve ever, once, not by me or any of my friends or anyone I knew or anyone I ever even saw at a dance, making out, or leading to sex, unless the guy was with his girlfriend. And even then, emotions and hormones were controlled until people got home.

As far as I'm concerned, grinding is a non-issue. Nobody grinds with a complete stranger to try and pick them up in high school. It just straight-up doesn't happen. Anywhere, ever. I guarantee you that. It happens with friends of the opposite sex, lasts for maybe 5 minutes, and then people go their separate ways. Can someone please explain to me how facing back to front closely when dancing is any different than facing each other and holding each other closely?

This principal is a total tool. Like someone said, he obviously has no control over his school and is throwing in stopgap measures to try and impose control. All he's going to do is either push it out of the school and into private homes where things can get a LOT worse, or he's just going to lose even more control of the school by having a lot of pissed off teenagers on his hands. And you know what teenagers do when they get really pissed off at authority? They rebel.

Either that or they form pop-punk bands and whine all the time. And that's a greater bane on society than grinding will ever be.

My time as a teen was they late seventies, and nothing like 'freaking' was allowed at a school dance. Some kissing during a slow dance, a little minor ass-grabbing, that was OK. But I've seen video of this type of dancing, and as well as being graphic, I don't see how it can't be stimulating to those involved. It is simulated intercourse, nothing less. I read that there's nothing personal about it, but do we really want our kids dry-humping people they don't know very well? Where is the mystery of learning about sex if it's virtually done right in front of you at a school dance? I'm glad I don't have teenager.

najeena said:
Where is the mystery of learning about sex if it's virtually done right in front of you at a school dance?

great point. that, to me, is one of the biggest problems with the hyper-sexuality of MTV/popular culture aimed at teenagers -- they're killing off one of life's great mysteries, and great joys, and turned it into little more than a fashion accessory.

Back
Top Bottom