Banning School Dances - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 12:11 AM
what type of dancing are they doing?

Old 01-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:11 AM
oh come on... it doesnt matter how they dance, if teens are out of control, they are simply out of control. if they dont dance theyll find a way to thrash the event if theyre mean, anyway.

but really, quit dirty dancing or i cancel the dance? thats just pointless. theyll dance wherever they like if they want to. i mean, whats it to the principal? he cant dictate how people should dance or walk or sit!

i find that kind of restriction hilarious at best. good job principal! dirty dancing, after all, is a major educational issue! youd make a bloody good despot.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
oh come on... it doesnt matter how they dance, if teens are out of control, they are simply out of control. if they dont dance theyll find a way to thrash the event if theyre mean, anyway.

but really, quit dirty dancing or i cancel the dance? thats just pointless. theyll dance wherever they like if they want to. i mean, whats it to the principal? he cant dictate how people should dance or walk or sit!

Actually, on School premises, he can, and should.

Outside of School, I'll take care of my kids, inside the school, that's his job.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I'm sure there is more to this decision than reported in the news.
This is not the first school trying to do this and they all cite the same reasons.

This sounds like a principal that doesn't have much control over his school at all and really could care less for his students.

I don't think it has anything to do with kids getting pregnant, how the hell would you prove that.

If it's held off campus you are asking for even more problems. The popular kids won't be invited, alcohol can be snuck in, etc.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

You've obviously never seen me dance
Old 01-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I'd want to see the dances before I judge them. I'm really picky about movies and don't watch movies about high school. My own high school days are times I'd like to forget, to be honest.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

is this for real? it's one of the most ridiculously puritanical stories i've heard in a long time.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Seriously are there lap dances going on? This is lame. Big deal. The kids are dancing the way they see pop culture dancing. Hell the lambada was the "hot" dance when I was growing up and that was a shameless excuse to dry hump a person. Anyway poor kids.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #24
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
a shameless excuse to dry hump a person. Anyway poor kids.
Same dance new name.

I have teenage kids and I have watched them dance. I think it's BS and he just can't maintain order in his school.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #25
Refugee

As someone who is a young teacher(24) and as someone who has to often chaperone dances, I'd say that a good deal of people here have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. "Big deal," "I think it's BS that he can't maintain control," "He couldn't care less about the students."

What a bunch of bullshit, honestly sometimes on this site I wonder if I live in the same world as some people.

The point of school isn't to throw dances that turn into basically a simulated sex romp. It has absolutely no place in school. Period. If the students do not follow the rules---and they WERE warned---then cancel the dances and save the school some money (I get paid $100 for about 4 hours of work x about 5 chaperones).

At dances I've busted people for drugs, called parents because they're child was drunk, and even called parents to pick up their teen for "inappropriate sexual behavior" which I don't really need to get into here. Luckily it isn't that common at my school, but it does happen. And yes, we've cancelled dances before because the previous one got out of hand and made damn well sure the students knew why it was cancelled.

I think some people on this site need to examine the term "ENABLING," which is focus in studying to become a teacher today. Basically, psychologists/sociologists agree that if a figure of authority lets bad behavior slip by without punishment, he/she is essence "enabling" the behavior and untimately encouraging it. This is a fact, so don't bother arguing it.

If by canceling the dances the kids go somewhere else, then that's the parents problem. Period. Schools should not and can't be 24 hour a day babysitters for lazy parents.

"He can't keep control"... Wow, you've obviously never tried to keep control of a 150 teenagers in a dark room with blaring music, have you?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
As someone who is a young teacher(24) and as someone who has to often chaperone dances, I'd say that a good deal of people here have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. "Big deal," "I think it's BS that he can't maintain control," "He couldn't care less about the students."

What a bunch of bullshit, honestly sometimes on this site I wonder if I live in the same world as some people.

The point of school isn't to throw dances that turn into basically a simulated sex romp. It has absolutely no place in school. Period. If the students do not follow the rules---and they WERE warned---then cancel the dances and save the school some money (I get paid $100 for about 4 hours x about 5 chaperones).

At dances I've busted people for drugs, called parents because they're child was drunk, and even called parents to pick up their teen for "inappropriate sexual behavior" which I don't really need to get into here. Luckily it isn't that common at my school, but it does happen. And yes, we've cancelled dances before because the previous one got out of hand and made damn well sure the students knew why it was cancelled.

I think some people on this site need to examine the term "ENABLING," which is focus in studying to become a teacher today. Basically, psychologists/sociologists agree that if a figure of authority lets bad behavior slip by without punishment, he/she is essence "enabling" the behavior and untimately encouraging it. This is a fact, so don't bother arguing it.

If by canceling the dances the kids go somewhere else, then that's the parents problem. Period. Schools should not and can't be 24 hour a day babysitters for lazy parents.

"He can't keep control"... Wow, you've obviously never tried to keep control of a 150 teenagers in a dark room with blaring music, have you?
What I'm outta control said.

All responses from parents of teenage kids and from educators welcomed

Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:11 AM

What I don't understand is why all dances for the rest of the year have been cancelled for everyone. If you want to be that puritan about something as innocent as a dance, why not just kick out the people who are breaking the rules (also when it comes to boozing etc.)? Now the guy seems to be screwing everyone over because of the behaviour of what I assume are only a few people.

Talk about sending the wrong message.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Dances are a big part of social development, a writ of passage so to speak for some(prom), and often help raise money for the school. To ban 2 dances for a warning that occured sometime during the last dance held is overboard.

As far as having control or not of the kids I don't know I wasn't there. But we also don't know is if the principals view as to what's not appropriate too extreme? Or if he did warn them and they ignored the pricipal knowing fully the consequences, does he honestly have the respect a principal needs to run a school?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #29
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:11 AM
I'd have been okay with banning dances when I was in school. They were really expensive popularity contests, as far as I was concerned. I understand that they're a ritual and everything, but particularly if you're talking about semiformals or proms, they are SO costly, and for kids who can't afford all the pomp and circumstance, it can be hard to have to show up in your mom's van wearing a dress from the clearance rack at the discount juniors store.

ImOuttaControl and DrTeeth both made decent points: I guess it's going too far to ban the dances altogether, but dances are a privilege, not a right. I'd be totally okay with booting kids out who won't follow the rules.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
What I don't understand is why all dances for the rest of the year have been cancelled for everyone. If you want to be that puritan about something as innocent as a dance, why not just kick out the people who are breaking the rules (also when it comes to boozing etc.)? Now the guy seems to be screwing everyone over because of the behaviour of what I assume are only a few people.

Talk about sending the wrong message.
"About something as innocent as a dance." Well, obviously the school administration didn't feel the the dance was too innocent, which is why they warned the students. When the students continuted their inappropriate behavior, the dances were cancelled.

"Screwing over everybody." Let me tell you one thing I know from working in schools: There must have been a big enough problem with the dances and enough people involved for the principal to take such a drastic option. If the majority of students were breaking rules and needed to be kicked out, then why have the dance? Like I said in my previous post, dances cost money and if there aren't enough people there to pay for the dj, lighting, chaperones...ect, then the school simply should not have them. Again, the students were warned (probably multiple times) and they fucked up. Now they have to face the consequences. That's the way life works.

If the principal would have allowed the dances to continue even though the students were disobeying the rules, what would that be telling the students? Talk about sending the wrong message.