BANNED from the Bible - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
That is not exactly true to the degree that some of the most recent English translations are based on the earliest available Hebrew transcripts.

A common misconseption is that current translations, such as the NIV, are translations from earlier English translations.
Except the NIV was very poorly translated by Christians with ideological agendas. I consider it one of the worst translations in existence.

Melon

Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Revealing as this documentary might be, it still fails to include the story of Lilith (see: The Life of Adam and Eve).
It would be interesting to see it also include Asherah (Semitic goddess considered to be "Yahweh's consort") and Shekhina (the feminine incarnation of God, similar to Vishnu/Shiva in Hinduism).

Melon

Old 11-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Except the NIV was very poorly translated by Christians with ideological agendas. I consider it one of the worst translations in existence.
I can understand the NIV doesn't fit your theological framework, but it is the most mainstream translation available in English. The critics of the NIV tend to come from both extremes of the theological scale.

There are other translations, such as the NRSV, that first translate, then apply a currentideological agenda to further revise the translation.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

sooooo ... the moral of the story is you can't trust any Bible, anywhere, and that all literal interpretations of scripture are really forms of wish-fulfillment on the part of the interpreter?

makes sense to me.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Yes, you're right. Although, the Dead Sea Scrolls revealed that the Greek texts were more accurate than some of the Hebrew

I dunno, sometimes I want to go to sem if for nothing more than learning Hebrew and Greek. At my school, you can't really be part of any intelligent conversation, especially on the Old Testament, if you can't read from the Hebrew or Greek texts. So, that leaves me with no choice but to trust the professors' lecture materials. But so far, all of the profs I've had that have done this were/are ordained Presbyterians and not Christian Reformed. Kinda funny to me since the school is rooted in the Dutch Christian Reformed tradition and technically, all faculty have to be professing members of the Christian Reformed Church.
Ordained Presbyterians come from all over the map (including a good sized group that would deny the divinity of Christ and instead offer prayers to the goddess Shiva). A good alternative would be outside materials from noted Old Testament scholars (like Walter Kaiser).

I also would like to go to seminary one day to really study Hebrew and Greek texts. The added depth to understanding is a wonderful experience.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
sooooo ... the moral of the story is you can't trust any Bible, anywhere, and that all literal interpretations of scripture are really forms of wish-fulfillment on the part of the interpreter?
The common desire of many - from secularists to liberal theologians.

When we get rid of the authority of God, we can be a god too!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

makes sense to me.
Postmodernism would say "yes."

Accuracy problems aside, I generally prefer Catholic Bibles (whose scholarship and contextual footnotes often show how irrational the Vatican is, oddly enough), and the Oxford Study Bible with apocrypha.

Melon
Old 11-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Except, historically, we cannot decide on what constitutes "God's authority." Unfortunately, it tends to be more of political wrangling than actual spirituality. After all, to declare your politics as a religion, you remove debate from your discourse and then you can label your opponents as "evil" and "anti-God."

I think Jesus said it best that His sole commandment was to "love one another." That just doesn't suit many political agendas.

Melon
Old 11-29-2005, 11:10 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think Jesus said it best that His sole commandment was to "love one another." That just doesn't suit many political agendas.
Sure it does. You then go on to define by worldly standards who, when and on what terms you "love one another". It is the perfect political agenda.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Sure it does. You then go on to define by worldly standards who, when and on what terms you "love one another". It is the perfect political agenda.
Like protecting fetuses and killing prisoners? What a racket.

Melon
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Because the reverse makes more sense? God does speak about the consequences of our behavior - guilt/innocence matters.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Because the reverse makes more sense? God does speak about the consequences of our behavior - guilt/innocence matters.
Did I ever say it did? I'm sure you've heard the expression that "two wrongs don't make a right" and Jesus himself said to look at your own flaws and sins before pointing at others' ("plank in eye"...etc.).

So maybe conservative Christianity needs to take a look in the mirror for a little while before it start proclaiming itself "pro-life" and everyone else, essentially, as "anti-God."

Melon
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

don't you give God authority over you? through faith, you create him.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

does it make logical sense that someone who was horribly executed would support the practice of execution?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
does it make logical sense that someone who was horribly executed would support the practice of execution?
You will find your answer in Scripture.

Jesus never said the cross was wrong - he relied on it to complete His work.