Ban the Low Riders... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Ban the Low Riders...

Brittney be warned...

Bill would fine those who wear low-rise jeans

Associated Press
Apr. 23, 2004 10:37 AM

BATON ROUGE, LA. - How low can you go? A lawmaker has filed a bill in the Legislature that would ban people from wearing low-slung pants below the waist, thus "exposing skin or intimate clothing."

State Representative Derrick Shepherd got tired of catching glimpses of boxer shorts and G-strings over the low-slung belt lines of young adults.

His bill would punish anyone caught wearing low-riding pants with a fine of as much as $500 or as many as six months in jail, or both.

An ACLU spokesman says the bill goes too far. He says: "I can think of a lot of workers, plumbers, who are working and expose their buttocks."

Not a pretty picture.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...rise23-ON.html

Does Baton Rouge have nothing else to spend their time and money on? Why is it our politicians want to move us closer to the countries we're trying liberate?

Old 04-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 PM
I guess Baton Rouge is a paradise, since their elected officials can concentrate on this level of minutia.

I hope the police will give you a "pullup your pants" warning before you get fined.....

Old 04-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
It's interesting this is coming about since the fad is finally on its way out. A few years ago, most teen boys around here went around with their pants so low the belts were actually below the butt. When they took off their shirts, you could see whole boxer shorts I never found this look attractive. "Emo" tightness is finally fading it out now, at least around here.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
It's interesting this is coming about since the fad is finally on its way out. A few years ago, most teen boys around here went around with their pants so low the belts were actually below the butt. When they took off their shirts, you could see whole boxer shorts I never found this look attractive. "Emo" tightness is finally fading it out now, at least around here.
It may be fading out with teen boys but it's picking up with teen girls, have you seen all the Britney wannabes?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:49 PM
It really is a crime though.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I bet they won't have trouble finding officers who want to go on "exposed g-string" patrol.....
Old 04-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Re: Ban the Low Riders...

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Does Baton Rouge have nothing else to spend their time and money on? Why is it our politicians want to move us closer to the countries we're trying liberate?
i think we can safely say that one retard doesn't represent all of louisiana's politicians, or america's politicians as a whole.

while many may not like the fad, i would assume this schmo would be in the vast minority of people who actually believe there should be a law forbidding it.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Ban the Low Riders...

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i think we can safely say that one retard doesn't represent all of louisiana's politicians, or america's politicians as a whole.

while many may not like the fad, i would assume this schmo would be in the vast minority of people who actually believe there should be a law forbidding it.
No but it just seems to go along with the overall climate in politics that want to crack down on free speech and impose religion into the government, a forced dress code just seems like the next step.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Definitely a stupid idea. It's their bodies, they have the right to put on them whatever they please. And if it offends him or someone else so much, then just ignore them. It's not like these kids are shoving themselves up in these people's faces and forcing them to look at what they're wearing.

The part that really irritated me in that article was when he basically felt that since parents don't seem to be taking control of what their kids wear, that he and other government officials can do it themselves. He's not the parent of each kid in that area, where does he get the right to run their lives like that? It's not that these parents don't care about their children, it's that they just may feel that it's their kid's body, and they have the right to put on it what they wish.

Besides, it's especially funny to hear of some adults trying to tell kids what to wear, considering that those very same adults came from an era in which they had to deal with their parents, teachers, and other various adult figures telling the guys to cut their hair ('cause, you know, long hair automatically meant that you were some sort of heathen or something), and girls couldn't wear pants (my mom tells me about how she never got to wear pants to school until she was in...high school, I believe it was), and things like that. And I distinctly remember a lot of the people who were kids then being annoyed about those restrictions, so...why are some of them now turning around and doing similar things to us?

Okay. Done ranting now. LOL .

Angela
Old 04-27-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

how exactly are they going to define low riders anyhow . You can have your underwear stick out of normal rise pants if you are wearing granny panties.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
how exactly are they going to define low riders anyhow
Anything that says "give me a weggie" ???
Old 04-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

but there must be some kind of cut off point, or is it at the police's discretion.

why am I even talking about this

I think i'm going to pass a law banning stupidity.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #13
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
yep, good case of the wrong idiot in the wrong place
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen

I think i'm going to pass a law banning stupidity.
Whoa, slow down and think about this. If your law passes do you realize how fast the jails will be overcrowded? Or that some whole states will be bannished? I won't even get into what it will do to politics...
Old 04-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 03:49 AM
What we wear is a personal choice, but not always a pleasant thing to see. Some people wear the current style without a thought to whether it suits their body type. Sometimes that DOES seem a crime.