Bali bombing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Herald Sun
Wattle a show of unity
KYLIE SMITH and SUE HEWITT
20oct02

AUSTRALIANS will remember the victims and rally behind the survivors of the Bali bombings during today's national day of mourning.

By wearing a sprig of wattle, our national floral emblem, or another appropriate Australian symbol, Victorians can show their solidarity with those who have suffered.
As a gesture of respect and remembrance, the Sunday Herald Sun will be handing out sprigs of wattle at three points around the city centre from approximately 9am.

In the Burke Street Mall, at Southbank and outside St Paul's Cathedral on Swanston Street -- wattle sprigs will be available from special booths.

Premier Steve Bracks has backed the call for a mass mark of respect, urging Victorians to wear wattle or Kangaroo Paw, in a show of support for those affected by the terrorist attacks.

Pausing for a minute at noon would also be a mark of solidarity with the victims and their families, he said. Victorians can sign condolence books at the offices of all MPs, and Parliament House.

"People can take the opportunity to pass on a message of support and sympathy," Mr Bracks said.

"The response to the the tragedy . . . the compassion . . . has been overwhelming.

"I'm sure that all Victorians will in some way mark the day and think of those who lost their lives last weekend, those who are still missing, and those who are injured."

Opposition Leader Robert Doyle said the flowers on the steps of parliament were a poignant illustration of Victorians' outpouring of grief.

"The flowers are a powerful symbol of our support and sympathy for those who have been so profoundly affected," he said.

National Party Leader Peter Ryan said country Victorians always supported their neighbours in times of trouble and would do so again today.

"The strength and resolve of all Australians will ensure that some good comes from all this evil."

Melbourne Lord Mayor John So said the day would be a sombre occasion and a day for quiet reflection.

I am deeply concerned that we will see more and more of this in the coming months and years.

Is there really much defense against this sort of thing?

I just watched our Prime Minister, John Howard, speak on 60 Minutes.
They dont' know who did this still.
He thinks we were attacked for our Westerness, not because of any political positions Australia has taken.
He also says that no we are no longer safe. This could very easily happen here now.

That bastard islamic leader guy, blames America hhahahaha
But he also says that there will be more attacks upon Western populations within South East Asia.
Im fucking scared out of my mind now.
Im so glad I just watched that.

:wave: If anyone would like to help, you can donate money to the Red Cross which will help the victims of this tragedy.

Even just a couple of dollars if that's all you can spare. It would be much appreciated :hug:

Please go to www.redcross.org.au for more details.

You also might like to visit www.australiansunite.com.au - you can also read and write some memorial messages here. They are extremely touching to read. :(

Zoomanda, a wise man once wrote a song containing the very appropriate lyrics:

"Don't let the bastards grind you down"

We have to try to keep living as normally as we can - I too just worry what's going to happen next.

thanks LD
good to see you around still matey
im going to check out those sites.

G'day Zoomanda!:wave: Yep - I still hang around here a bit. Sorry we have to meet in such a horrible thread. :(

I also wanted to keep this thread going - I don't want people to forget about it now. It's only just over a week ago that it happened, but the enormity of what happened remains. :sad:

The degrees of separation draw shorter. I think most australians know at least friends of friends who were there.

I dont know who did this or why bali. Maybe it was islamic extremists - its very easy for us in the west to draw that immediate assumption, but dont forget there are other groups around who could have similar motivations.

Whatever the case how anyone can take comfort from the murder of innocents in such a way beggars belief.

:(

spare a thought today

I don't know why......maybe because his first name was Tom, his family name is Singer,maybe because he was 17, maybe because I can picture his mum by his bed during his hopeless and painful 4 week struggle for life. Too many people die brutally everyday, they all deserve the love...

Anyway I wanted to let you know, that the Balinese people are doing today and tomorrow, the only thing they know how to do.An ancient ceremony from the past and that is very rarely performed is being conducted by the elders. They are trying to cleanse the island of the violence that was released recently. Perhaps these old ways have no place in the modern world, hitched to the past, not guided by...but what other options do they have?
If anyone has any faith in that kind of thing, maybe you can add your prayers and wishes for peace to return to their beautiful land. Just wanted you to know what is happening in the south.

Back
Top Bottom