Bali bombing - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2002, 03:43 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:08 PM
TRIP,

Are you doing study abroad in South East Asia? What Country?

Old 10-14-2002, 04:49 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 01:08 AM
i cant believe this has happened.
so many australians in grief and fear right now. the families of all these missing people talking on the news tonight is excruciating to watch.
whole football clubs are missing. one family lost their son who's twin they lost to a car crash a few years ago.
this is so fucking unbelievable.

may they rest in peace...

Old 10-14-2002, 05:53 AM   #18
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
TRIP,

Are you doing study abroad in South East Asia? What Country?
yes, i'm completing a degree in early childhood teaching and leadership in singapore....and although i know that singapore is composed of various nationalities, ethnicities and religions, it is still unnerving to read about these muslim extremist groups/individuals and their fucked up agendas EVERY SINGLE DAY here in southeast asia. it seems like the papers dedicate at least a whole section to the turmoil, violence, and extremism coming out of indonesia alone.

...here in singapore, you sometimes get a glimmer of hope as to the way things could be in an ideal world...seeing individuals of different ethnicities and religions peacefully eating at the same restaurants or viewing the same movies, even sharing cultures, etc...but that sometimes seems like such a false pretense the minute you read what's going on next door to you. it's very disheartening.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:03 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Normal

I can't say that I am surprised. Having lived in Indonesia for thirteen years, I am very aware of the numbers of extremist groups that have been gaining in number and popularity. The economic collapse in the late 90s pretty much destroyed the economy, set the people against one another, toppled the government and the rule of law and now trying to pick up the pieces is proving to be almost impossible.

My heart goes out to all those who lost family and loved ones. I remember what it was like when I was living in America and going to university, realizing that my parents and younger brother were living in the midst of all kinds of chaos in Java. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that Indonesia is a part of me and I ache to see what it is becoming.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:54 AM   #20
War Child

The images and stories that have come through today are awful.
Cowgirl, I saw that man talking about his twin sons. I was listening to a.m talkback radio today (I hate it normally). Some of the stories... and sadly the news I think is going to get worse over the next few days as those numbers rise. So many people are going to know someone, or know someone who knows someone.

On a slightly lighter note, a friend of mine is in Germany. Turned on the tv this morning, there's John Howard, with a German translation dubbed over the top. Freaked out and was sure he'd had too much to drink the night before. It took him a while to figure out what was going on.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Normal

My boyfriend's friend's friend was in one of the nightclubs. He died. It's just senseless, horrible.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:55 AM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:08 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this Saracene.

Unfortunately I think there will be many more stories like this to come. There are still at least 200 Australians unaccounted for. I can't believe this is happening...

They just announced on the news that some victims were taken to Singapore and are in hospital there - there may be a slim chance for some people that they might find a few more alive.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:08 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 09:08 AM
the world is sicker every day.....always the innocents dying...I'm sorry.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:16 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

i am sadden and horrified to see that this has happen again. i too wish this maddness would stop. it is awful and my heart goes out to all of those who lost a loved one in these bombings. i too am tired of reading and watching the news. i would love to wake up one morning and not hear news about war, snipers, terrorists, rapist, serial killers, etc.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:39 AM   #25
Acrobat

My condolenses to Bali and all the People Down Under....

dream wanderer
Old 10-14-2002, 12:17 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:08 AM

If my memory serves me correct Bali is next to Jakarta-where ppl danced in the streets on 9-11..celebrating the loss of innocent ife in America..

The newspapers are reporting an Al Queda link today..
Lovely.

DB9
Old 10-14-2002, 06:04 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
If my memory serves me correct Bali is next to Jakarta-where ppl danced in the streets on 9-11..celebrating the loss of innocent ife in America..
actually, Bali is about as close to Jakarta as Chicago is to NYC. And believe it or not, just because a few people get on the news for their reactions, it is not a fair or accurate representation of the entire population in any way.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:19 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

The newspapers are reporting an Al Queda link today..
Lovely.

DB9

what do you want to do with it , i wonder ???
to bomb the country , kill people , make a new pro " democracy " government

btw i remember one country in 1930's did those type of actions

lovely indeed
Old 10-14-2002, 07:44 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 08:08 AM

Extremism is always a bad thing. Particularly religious extremism.
How murdering a bunch of innocent young people is justifiable I will never know.

MAP

p.s.- After 9/11 many of the helpful folks here suggested that it was an opportunity for us Americans to reflect on our sins. These things never occur in a vacuum etc, etc. Perhaps now would be a good time for Australians to consider their culpability in this atrocity.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:44 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000
After 9/11 many of the helpful folks here suggested that it was an opportunity for us Americans to reflect on our sins. These things never occur in a vacuum etc, etc. Perhaps now would be a good time for Australians to consider their culpability in this atrocity.
To those people who know my views on this topic, just read that last sentence, and now you will know why I think that.