"Baghdad ER"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Those of us that have cable, HBO

will get a chance to view

some of the consequences of

the Administration's Iraq Adventure

Army: HBO documentary could trigger stress disorder

By Barbara Starr
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Army surgeon general is warning that the HBO documentary "Baghdad ER" is so graphic that military personnel watching it could experience symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

In a memo dated May 9 and obtained by CNN, Lt. Gen. Kevin Kiley said the film "shows the ravages and anguish of war."

"Those who view this documentary may experience many emotions," he said in the memo. "If they have been stationed in Iraq, they may re-experience some symptoms of post-traumatic stress, such as flashbacks or nightmares." (Watch what made a bloodied soldier in Baghdad plead for his life --3:33)

HBO is releasing the documentary on the operation of the 86th Combat Support Hospital in Ibn Sina, Iraq.

The film will premiere Monday at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington as well as on 22 Army posts.

It airs Sunday on HBO -- a division of Time Warner, the parent company of CNN -- and will replay on Memorial Day.

Kiley, who has watched the film with senior Army officials, said it is "an extremely graphic and moving look at how we care for severely wounded service members."

"This film will have a strong impact on viewers and may cause anxiety for some soldiers and family members."

He noted that "some may have strong reactions to the medical procedures such as the amputation of a limb."

Kiley said military medical treatment facilities should be ready to help troops and family members affected by the film. He suggested that mental health facilities should extend their treatment hours and reach out to the troops proactively.

Army officials said they fully support the film and note the Army gave the filmmakers access to the hospital. But privately they said it is so graphic that senior leaders do not want to turn Monday's premiere in Washington into a social occasion so many will not be attending, preferring to let the limelight fall on the military personnel.

After screening the film, officials said they are aware that some may use it to make an anti-war message.

A_Wanderer said:
Good, we shouldn't look away from the violence and terror - be it overt or hidden.

That's correct.
But I am not sure of what are the purposes of the people that are making this "film"

I don't have HBO but it's not something I'd want to see, I couldn't handle it. What I imagine is already difficult enough. A priest from my church is over there now (he's in the National Guard), everyone who is so inclined please say a prayer for him. For all of them.

There is another documentary that some soldiers made on camcorders, it won a prize at the Tribeca Film Festival. I can't think of the name of it.

Interesting that this "extremely graphic" movie is being trumpted with praise, while other "extremely graphic" movies are outright condemned for the use of such images.

nbcrusader said:
Interesting that this "extremely graphic" movie is being trumpted with praise, while other "extremely graphic" movies are outright condemned for the use of such images.

well this one is a documentary.

or were some of the "other extremely graphic" movies you were referring to documentarys also?

an amazing story they had on ABC News last night related to this documentary

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1968943&page=1

"HBO invited Zwillinger to screen the movie early, and to see the complete unedited footage of her son's final hours.

"I can only tell you I wanted to touch him, I wanted to reach out and touch him because you're really right there," Zwillinger told ABC News.

Painful as it is to watch, she calls the movie a blessing.

"To see him alive, moving, was wonderful," she says. "Having to come to terms with losing him and watching is something else, but literally it allowed me to be there with him in his final moments."

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What do you mean?

I'm always a little skeptical when TV enters in such horrible situations.
I've always the doubt they're doing that just to provoke or to get audience, and not to inform or to let people know what is reappy happening.

Back
Top Bottom