bad things happen to good people. so who is in control? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:23 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about that. That's really got to hurt.

I believe God is in control. I believe he chooses everyone's time to go, and that's why you gotta be ready for it anytime!! You never know when it'll be your time...

Old 10-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am not sure if this helps in the thread with the discussion but it was my example of what I believe was God's influence in my life. At the time I did not know why things were happening.....but I know that night changed my life, and I did not quite get it until last week.
Not to take away anything from your experiences, but why doesn't god influence everyone's life the same way it influences yours? what makes your life more worthy of interaction with the deity? now i know this wasn't the tone of your post, and i am not attacking you at all...these are just honest questions. some poor kid in darfur probably died five minutes ago because he has no food to eat. where was god's influence in his life?

i know we all look at life differently, but we can't all be right. so i guess what i'm looking for is some quantitative evidence that god is in fact present in creation. personal stories are often useful in demonstrating the possibility of god's interaction with one person's life...but it leaves out millions and millions of people who are not as fortunate. am i making sense?

Old 10-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

I do not know if I could call it an interaction. I do not believe I am any more important than anyone else, and I strongly believe it is dangerous to walk around believing you are chosen by God.

I started a thread about a week ago asking if you think you are worthy of the gifts bestowed upon you.

It sort of ties in here? Am I more worthy than the kid in darfur? I do not believe I am , nor am I going to pretend to know Gods purpose in that situation.

I have to run to religion class and will try and come back. Believe me I did not take this as an attack, its questions that at 36 years old I have no answer to.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #49
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
Not to take away anything from your experiences, but why doesn't god influence everyone's life the same way it influences yours? what makes your life more worthy of interaction with the deity? now i know this wasn't the tone of your post, and i am not attacking you at all...these are just honest questions. some poor kid in darfur probably died five minutes ago because he has no food to eat. where was god's influence in his life?
Oh, if only we knew the answer to that one! you people make me think too much.

From's God's perspective, each person's influence from an event is just right even if we don't see it. Man, that so sounds like crap. Ok....let's see....that's the only answer I have that makes the most sense. Why are 200,000 people dying in Darfur while I have a nice -- albeit expensive -- apartment? Why is the biggest problem in my life right now the fact that my job sucks? I dunno.

Maybe that's the conclusion of this thread: we don't have answers, we just try to find answers to better explain our surroundings, our life. It's alot easier to say "God's will be done" than to say "Fuck you" to the world I guess. But I can accept that.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 PM
se7en,

I hear you,

In so many of these stories the protagonists seem to think they are the center of the universe.

Every time I hear things like this said I imagine the less fortunate people, those that do not survive.

Why is god with one person while abandoning the other?

My answer, he is with neither.

God does not play favorites. Life happens. And he just loves us.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
we just try to find answers to better explain our surroundings, our life.
i agree.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

Why are 200,000 people dying in Darfur while I have a nice -- albeit expensive -- apartment? Why is the biggest problem in my life right now the fact that my job sucks? I dunno.
i'll give you a hint. it has to do with the inherent exploitation in the global capitalist system. you were just lucky enough to be birthed into a first world country that is the exploiter, rather than the exploitee.

Quote:
It's alot easier to say "God's will be done" than to say "Fuck you" to the world I guess. But I can accept that.
i guess what i'm suggesting is that neither one of these are acceptable.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Dafour has another little hint - Imperialism care of the RoP.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

RoP? pardon my ignorance.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #55
New Yorker

Quote:
i'll give you a hint. it has to do with the inherent exploitation in the global capitalist system. you were just lucky enough to be birthed into a first world country that is the exploiter, rather than the exploitee.
But did I choose to be born here? and does that mean money is the answer? nope and nope.

btw, thanks Dread.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

But did I choose to be born here? and does that mean money is the answer? nope and nope.

btw, thanks Dread.
no, you didn't chose to be born here. nor did that child choose to be born in the sudan. doens't mean we should just say oh well and be done with it.

money isn't the answer. but a more equitable distribution of wealth would solve a lot of problems i reckon. for one, that child wouldn't have starved to death.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
I do not think that having everybody be equally poor will help anything. Aid helps in the short term but in long term it is about good governance and economic integration.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

I had the MOST moving class tonight. I wish I could share the information that was shared in class but we are not supposed to share the personal things that we share with each other.

I can inform you that I am the youngest person in the class. The oldest person shared her Spiritual Autobiagraphy with us. She was born before WWII. My goodness what a life. She fought against racist politics in South Africa in 1953! Think about that! The other things she shared about her life are incredible. Nothing was easy, living through air-raids in WWII. Not seing her father because he was fighting WWII for SIX YEARS.

Throughout her story, all I could think of was this thread. You want to get a grasp of the answer to this question, sit down and listen to someone who is two times your age. The things I thought were significant seem so much less.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:38 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

what happened to the god debate?

Why do you want to hear it? I thought you already made up your mind.... I'm not going to post about faith in something if someone's waiting in the wings to pick me off--self defeating. If you have an openmind then I'd love to go down that road.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:10 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

Why do you want to hear it? I thought you already made up your mind.... I'm not going to post about faith in something if someone's waiting in the wings to pick me off--self defeating. If you have an openmind then I'd love to go down that road.
i think its interesting. and i haven't so much made up my mind about the exsistence or nature of a god as i have about its role in our lives. just because i don't think it is present on this earth doesn't necessarily mean i don't believe in one, nor that i'm bitter and angry at it. i just want to have a clearer understanding of why things happen.