Back When "The West" Armed Saddam - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Back When "The West" Armed Saddam

Well as we know the US was apparently a principle backer of Saddam during the 1980's as we are reminded ad infinitum, I have therefore found out total weapons sales to Iraq during the '80's from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, the figures themselves are interesting.
Quote:
Vendors, $Millions, Percent
USSR, 17,503, 50.78%
France 5,221, 15.15%
China, 5,192, 15.06%
Czechoslovakia, 1,540, 4.47%
Poland, 1,626 , 4.72%
Brazil , 724 , 2.10%
Egypt , 568 1.65%
Romania , 524 , 1.52%
Denmark , 226 , 0.66%
Libya , 200 , 0.58%
USA , 200 , 0.58%
link

Ignorance of the facts is no longer an excuse.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:55 AM
interesting stats. do you have any for monetary aid? not specifically weapons? everyone knows the u.s. was fighting old beat up soviet military pieces.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
interesting stats. do you have any for monetary aid? not specifically weapons? everyone knows the u.s. was fighting old beat up soviet military pieces.
Iraq was able to keep its Soviet military equipment in fine condition. They were even able to repair many tanks from the 1991 Gulf War that had been damaged or destroyed in the war and put them back in service.

Overall aid to Iraq in the 1980s came out to over 120 Billion dollars of which the United States share was 5 billion.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Iraq was able to keep its Soviet military equipment in fine condition. They were even able to repair many tanks from the 1991 Gulf War that had been damaged or destroyed in the war and put them back in service.

Overall aid to Iraq in the 1980s came out to over 120 Billion dollars of which the United States share was 5 billion.
they were able to fix up many that looked like this?:

wow, pretty impressive.

and again, just out of curiosity: are you all only interested in numbers or does the apparent u.s. complaisance and moral ambiguity of it's actions play a role in your opinions?

Quote:
The current Bush administration discusses Iraq in starkly moralistic terms to further its goal of persuading a skeptical world that a preemptive and premeditated attack on Iraq could and should be supported as a "just war." The documents included in this briefing book reflect the realpolitik that determined this country's policies during the years when Iraq was actually employing chemical weapons. Actual rather than rhetorical opposition to such use was evidently not perceived to serve U.S. interests; instead, the Reagan administration did not deviate from its determination that Iraq was to serve as the instrument to prevent an Iranian victory. Chemical warfare was viewed as a potentially embarrassing public relations problem that complicated efforts to provide assistance. The Iraqi government's repressive internal policies, though well known to the U.S. government at the time, did not figure at all in the presidential directives that established U.S. policy toward the Iran-Iraq war. The U.S. was concerned with its ability to project military force in the Middle East, and to keep the oil flowing.
link.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:55 PM
Most of the US shipments to Iraq (and many of the European ones as well) were of "dual-use" technology, not weapons, and it was on that basis that "Iraqgate"emerged. For example, large quantities of sarin and mustard gas precursors, as well as anthrax bacillus were shipped.

I doubt these are included in the statistics. They probably also don't include the helicopters, armored emergency vehicles etc.

They do demonstrate how Europeans tend to talk out of both sides of their mouth about the arms trade, though. Even librul peaceniks like me get pissed off about that .
Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

They do demonstrate how Europeans tend to talk out of both sides of their mouth about the arms trade, though. Even librul peaceniks like me get pissed off about that .
on the european leg of the elevation tour didn't u2 show a graphic that basically listed every member of the u.n. security council as being among the top arms dealers in the world? that's pretty disturbing if you ask me.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
The Fly

It wasn't just guns. I remember reading an interview with some Iraqi general who was slightly amused that he was fighting Americans; since the US military gave him officer training in the first place.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by packcrush
since the US military gave him officer training
these are the sort of intangibles that can't really be tallied properly.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

As some people have noted, the stats don't tell the complete story. Still, they're certainly interesting and I have to agree with yolland about the talking out both sides of the mouths from certain countries.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:16 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by packcrush
It wasn't just guns. I remember reading an interview with some Iraqi general who was slightly amused that he was fighting Americans; since the US military gave him officer training in the first place.
Unlike most other countries, the SOVIET UNION had over 1,000 troops stationed in Iraq training the Iraqi Republican Guard the classic Soviet Armored tactics they of course practiced with T-72 tanks, BMP armored Personal Carries, and Hind Attack Helicopters. Iraq was a client state of the Soviet Union, even before Saddam achieved full power in 1979. Iran was the United States client State, and the United States actually sent real weapons to Iran, not Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war. 2,000 TOW missiles for the release of hostages.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:22 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

they were able to fix up many that looked like this?:

wow, pretty impressive.

and again, just out of curiosity: are you all only interested in numbers or does the apparent u.s. complaisance and moral ambiguity of it's actions play a role in your opinions?

link.
Not to burst your bubble, but not not all Iraqi Tanks destroyed or damaged during the Gulf War looked like that or had that level of damage. The Iraqi's were able to repair several hundred tanks from the 1991 war and had a total of 2,700 tanks when the coalition invaded Iraq in 2003.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Not to burst your bubble, but not not all Iraqi Tanks destroyed or damaged during the Gulf War looked like that or had that level of damage. The Iraqi's were able to repair several hundred tanks from the 1991 war and had a total of 2,700 tanks when the coalition invaded Iraq in 2003.
can't take a little sarcasm or what?

besides, what difference does it make to me whether or not the iraqi army was running at roughly 60% of their previous strength at the time of the invasion in 2003? it's no surprise they were easily overwhelmed yet again.

what about the other half of my post?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

can't take a little sarcasm or what?

besides, what difference does it make to me whether or not the iraqi army was running at roughly 60% of their previous strength at the time of the invasion in 2003? it's no surprise they were easily overwhelmed yet again.

what about the other half of my post?
Destroying Saddam's military and overthrowing his regime in under 3 weeks in 2003 was not exactly easy. I have several friends that were involved in the push towards Baghdad with the Marine 1st MEF and it took a lot of hard work, to accomplish this with so little loss of life.

You'll have to be a little more specific about what your talking about for me to respond to the second half of the post your refering to.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

this paints a slightly different picture.

but don't get me wrong, i don't doubt that annihilating other human beings is a tough job.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
this paints a slightly different picture.

but don't get me wrong, i don't doubt that annihilating other human beings is a tough job.
It appears you fail to appreciate the difficulty that goes into a lot of these operations even when its just for training. Do you have any idea how many military records were set during this initial operation, just in terms of the distance travelled and territory taken in that amount of time for an armored force of that size? Guess what the average casualty figures estimated were before the war for urban combat, both military and civilian? The Success that the military had in the initial faze is simply remarkable and that is something all of my friends talked about from their various different positions on the ground in the air in the race to Baghdad.