Back stage MSG Saturday . To funny . Who do you think was smoken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to get in a big debate about pot or else I'll have to move this thread.. but people that have never tried it or whatever are like.. '' ohh pot is drugs, bad.. its scary, its going to make me act all crazy.. etc.. '' Not true with pot. True with harder drugs definately.

*sigh.. in fact I dont even consider pot a drug. It's an herb, it grows from the ground, has not been proven to be addicting, and cant kill you, unlike alcohol. And it does serve medicinal purposes.

To each his own basically, is what I'm saying. And if U2 wants to hit a joint every now and then, which I'm more than sure they do, that's fine by me. At least they're not doing coke or herioin.

Sicy, I think you already turned this into a debate about pot.

Morphine also serves for medicinal purposes. And yet, it is a dangerous drug.

Originally posted by U2girl:

Call me old-fashioned, but i would be highly dissapointed if U2 members did it.

i think you will find yourselves disappointed in a fair number of people in your life. successful individuals have been known to smoke up...it's really not that big of a deal.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by U2@NYC:
Sicy, I think you already turned this into a debate about pot.

I just added my two cents.. you guys started it.

tongue.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
U2girl > I'd like to see any stats you might know about concerning how many deaths are reported each year from smoking marijuana alone. Of course it's not for everyone, but I don't understand why people get so freaked out about it.

Also, my best friend is dying of cancer. The meds they put him on were killing him faster. Now he's off the meds and using marijuana for pain and is doing much better.

But hey, I have no attachment to convincing anybody of anything. To each his own.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 10-31-2001).]

There are no statistics about marijuana related deaths to be found and you know it. But does that necessarily mean no one ACTUALLY died?

Also, i was talking about drugs in general, not just marijuana.
Why people get freaked? Because it's addictive, and it does horrible things to your mind/brain, and to your internal organs, and it CAN kill you-both your body and your psyche. (again, this is general about drugs)

I have heard marijuana can ease pain for ill people (like in your friend's case). I guess that can be a "pro" reason for it.
And, wine in moderate measures (a glass or two a day) IS good for your health-particularly red wine - for prevention of coronary diseases.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 10-31-2001).]

Originally posted by Deathbear's Fly Girl:
I dont want to get in a big debate about pot or else I'll have to move this thread.. but people that have never tried it or whatever are like.. '' ohh pot is drugs, bad.. its scary, its going to make me act all crazy.. etc.. '' Not true with pot. True with harder drugs definately.

*sigh.. in fact I dont even consider pot a drug. It's an herb, it grows from the ground, has not been proven to be addicting, and cant kill you, unlike alcohol. And it does serve medicinal purposes.

To each his own basically, is what I'm saying. And if U2 wants to hit a joint every now and then, which I'm more than sure they do, that's fine by me. At least they're not doing coke or herioin.

I don't believe what you said in the first paragraph. One of the reasons drugs scare me IS the fact you don't control yourself. And i don't ever want to find out what would happen to my personality or my psyche if i ever tried. Absolutely no intention and no desire.

Like i said in my upper post, i admit marijuana can be used for easing the pain in some medical cases. I don't believe it is not addicting.

Another reason to be against drugs is the addiction tends to increase crime-stealing etc... because people addicted to drugs spend all their money on it.

As for your last paragraph: "U2 hits a joint"? My ass they do. Come on, they are on tour, plus 3 of them have families. Do you really think they'd do it?
However, they probably drink alcohol. And nothing excessive, excluding Adam's problems a few years ago.

"At least they're not doing coke or heroin". No comment to that one.

I don't believe what you said in the first paragraph. One of the reasons drugs scare me IS the fact you don't control yourself. And i don't ever want to find out what would happen to my personality or my psyche if i ever tried. Absolutely no intention and no desire.

Like i said in my upper post, i admit marijuana can be used for easing the pain in some medical cases. I don't believe it is not addicting.

Another reason to be against drugs is the addiction tends to increase crime-stealing etc... because people addicted to drugs spend all their money on it.

As for your last paragraph: "U2 hits a joint"? My ass they do. Come on, they are on tour, plus 3 of them have families. Do you really think they'd do it?
However, they probably drink alcohol. And nothing excessive, excluding Adam's problems a few years ago.

"At least they're not doing coke or heroin". No comment to that one.

u2girl, maybe this is a debate you should stay out of because you've actually never smoked pot. And that's a good thing. But trust me. Pot is not addicting. That's been proven many times over.

Another thing, how do you know pot directly leads to crime? The only times I have done anything stupid or getting in trouble is when I'm drunk. I can guarantee you that there are many more alcohol related crimes than pot related crimes.

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

It's rather telling that the folks here who feel that pot is dangerous and somehow worse than alcohol have admitted never trying it.
Look, I'm not a big fan of marijuana but anyone who really thinks that it is as dangerous and destructive as alcohol is insane. (Unless they subscribe to the "gateway drug" theory that is.)
Marijuana isn't even addictive in the medical sense as alcohol and morphine base drugs are. I do believe strongly though that it is psychologically addictive but you aren't going to find many ex potheads going through horrible withdrawal symptoms.
How about this: I've actually smoked pot in the past. I drink alcohol on a semi-regular basis and I even tried cocaine once. There is NO comparison. Marijauna won't do much for your personality but alcohol and cocaine are a thousand time more destructive.

MAP

You know U2 travels with a lot of people, roadies, people who set up the stage and what not. Who's to say that the pot belonged to any member of U2? It was probably a bunch of road crew lighting up.

And as for Bono touching his nose all the time because he's on cocaine, uhhh I touch my nose all the time and I don't do speed. I never have. It's just a nervous habit of mine. I also scratch my head and behind my ears. Nervous habit.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

1. I had 2 beers tonight.
2. I touch my nose often this time of year due to allergies (not "snot," just that itchy feeling that allergies bring about).

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by mikal:
u2girl, maybe this is a debate you should stay out of because you've actually never smoked pot. And that's a good thing. But trust me. Pot is not addicting. That's been proven many times over.

Another thing, how do you know pot directly leads to crime? The only times I have done anything stupid or getting in trouble is when I'm drunk. I can guarantee you that there are many more alcohol related crimes than pot related crimes.

Here we go again: don't talk about it because you didn't try it.
So what? Why should that prevent me from having an opinion?

I didn't say marijuana directly leads into crime. It is done indirectly-when a drug addict (or a person who uses drugs excessively) runs out of his own money, he/she will eventually start to steal money or start robbing people.

I didn't say marijuana was worse than alcohol. All i'm saying is both is dangerous in excessive use.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Deathbear's Fly Girl:
You can thank you know who for that.

rolleyes.gif
blah blah blah

Nice try. I wasn't the only one with the anti drugs point of view in this post, so cool it.
Also, i think all of us with anti drugs point of view contributed to this thread being moved, as well as people with different opinions. You can't single anyone out. And if you have a problem with that, talk to the mod who moved it (Salome, i believe).

yeah, okay.

You said "Both can kill you". Wrong! If pot was so deadly, there WOULD be overwhelming statistics on this subject.

For example, I've never tried heroin. Even though everyone says it's bad, I don't know for sure. Therefore, it wouldn't be my place to act like an expert.

I was saying both "drugs and alcohol can kill you", which is true. I never said marijuana per se kills people-maybe not kill your body, but can kill you mentally and spiritually IN EXCESSIVE USE.

I don't understand your heroin example: of course it's bad. We know that because it's effects on people are well known. We don't need to try it ourselves to know that for a fact. Common sense: learn from other people's mistakes, so you won't repeat them. Who says you need to try everything for yourself? Take people's word for it.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

I was saying both "drugs and alcohol can kill you", which is true. I never said marijuana per se kills people-maybe not kill your body, but can kill you mentally and spiritually IN EXCESSIVE USE.

I don't understand your heroin example: of course it's bad. We know that because it's effects on people are well known. We don't need to try it ourselves to know that for a fact. Common sense: learn from other people's mistakes, so you won't repeat them. Who says you need to try everything for yourself? Take people's word for it.

How do you know marijuana kills you mentally and spiritually? I know quite a few people that smoke pot 3 times a day, every day, and they're fine. So your point is invalid.

My point in my heroin statement was not about whether or not heroin is bad. It was about acting like you know more than you really do about a subject. Try reading my post again.

------------------

How do you know marijuana kills you mentally and spiritually? I know quite a few people that smoke pot 3 times a day, every day, and they're fine. So your point is invalid.

My point in my heroin statement was not about whether or not heroin is bad. It was about acting like you know more than you really do about a subject. Try reading my post again.

I highly doubt that smoking marijuana over and over again WON'T do at least SOME damage to your brain and mind.
(if not killing a person mentally and spiritually-i said this CAN happen. not necessarily. if a person is so obsessed with a drug that he gets into various delirious stages when he is lacking the drug, i'd say he's dead mentally, wouldn't you? or if a person that gets to the point where he neglects everything else but the drug, he's dead spiritually. same thing if a person gets to the point where he actually is preferring being high to being clean and tries to be high as much as possible during the day.)

You lost me in your second paragraph. I don't get your logic: first you say "i don't know for sure if heroin is bad. i've never tried it" and then "it wasn't about heroin being good or bad".

Huh?!?

I can't act like i know more than i do on a subject. That didn't make any sense. Again, i never said i was an expert on drugs. And i never said i know everything there is to know about them.

I highly doubt that smoking marijuana over and over again WON'T do at least SOME damage to your brain and mind.
(if not killing a person mentally and spiritually-i said this CAN happen. not necessarily. if a person is so obsessed with a drug that he gets into various delirious stages when he is lacking the drug, i'd say he's dead mentally, wouldn't you? or if a person that gets to the point where he neglects everything else but the drug, he's dead spiritually. same thing if a person gets to the point where he actually is preferring being high to being clean and tries to be high as much as possible during the day.)

Once again, there's no way for you to know this because you've never had the experience.

------------------

You lost me in your second paragraph. I don't get your logic: first you say "i don't know for sure if heroin is bad. i've never tried it" and then "it wasn't about heroin being good or bad".

Huh?!?

yes, you are lost. For the second time, I wasn't talking about whether heroin is good or bad, I was making an example of why you should stay out of this debate. It's not that hard to understand. Why don't you try reading that post ONE MORE TIME because you obviously missed the point.

------------------

Once again, there's no way for you to know this because you've never had the experience.

Oh come on. The stuff i wrote in the brackets is proven and i found it in many articles in serious newspapers, not to mention TV shows.
Again, why would i need experience to know this?

Oh come on. The stuff i wrote in the brackets is proven and i found it in many articles in serious newspapers, not to mention TV shows.
Again, why would i need experience to know this?

Which newspaper? The Onion?

Before I ever tried marijuana, I thought it was the worst thing in the world because that's what adults told me. Now that I have EXPERIENCE, I realized that I was naive and that pot is no worse than alcohol.

I'm not promoting that you try it(though maybe it would help you chill out a little), but I just want to show you how a little EXPERIENCE with something can enlighten you and make you more educated on the subject.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mikal (edited 11-01-2001).]

yes, you are lost. For the second time, I wasn't talking about whether heroin is good or bad, I was making an example of why you should stay out of this debate. It's not that hard to understand. Why don't you try reading that post ONE MORE TIME because you obviously missed the point.

I added the last paragraph just below the words you quoted in that post, which responded to your "acting more like i know" argument. But you didn't bother to read it.

True, some people know more about drugs than others. But this is a worldwide problem and it needs to be discussed, without people "staying out of it".
rolleyes.gif

Which newspaper? The Onion?

And you talk about "not knowing the facts".

No it wasn't "The onion". It was the leading newspaper (not a tabloid) in my country which described what drugs to do you (internal organs damage etc.. it was a doctor describing, so you can take his word for it). Same newspaper had an interview with an addict about how drugs take over a person's life completely.
And i saw more than 1 TV show about it (how drugs take over your life etc...), with actual ex-drug addicts in therapy talking about it.
As for medical symptoms of what drug does to your body, several articles in magazines and books can be found.

Credible enough for you?

I added the last paragraph just below the words you quoted in that post, which responded to your "acting more like i know" argument. But you didn't bother to read it.

Just because I didn't quote it doesn't mean I didn't read it. Give me a break!

In response to the paragraph "that I didn't read", the fact that you entered this debate puts your knowledge of the subject on the line. And as I've said too many times already, the fact that you don't have experience lessens your knowledge on the subject unless you read books on pot all the time, which I highly doubt. Get it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by mikal (edited 11-01-2001).]

And you talk about "not knowing the facts".

No it wasn't "The onion". It was the leading newspaper (not a tabloid) in my country which described what drugs to do you (internal organs damage etc.. it was a doctor describing, so you can take his word for it). Same newspaper had an interview with an addict about how drugs take over a person's life completely).
And i saw more than 1 TV show about it (how drugs take over your life etc...), with actual ex-drug addicts in therapy talking about it.

Credible enough for you?

Not really.

This article was about drug addicts, and remember, marijuana is not addictive! So much for your BIG source. HAHA!

------------------

I'm not promoting that you try it(though maybe it would help you chill out a little),

I sympathize with you, mikal.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Before I ever tried marijuana, I thought it was the worst thing in the world because that's what adults told me. Now that I have EXPERIENCE, I realized that I was naive and that pot is no worse than alcohol.

I'm not promoting that you try it(though maybe it would help you chill out a little), but I just want to show you how a little EXPERIENCE with something can enlighten you and make you more educated on the subject.

Just because you didn't have any big problems with it, doesn't mean there aren't people who do. And i'm talking about those people.

For the last time, to have knowledge on a subject a person DOES not necessarily need practical experience. Example: drugs. There are plenty of credible informations to be found about them, in books/TV/magazines.

Not really.

This article was about drug addicts, and remember, marijuana is not addictive! So much for your BIG source. HAHA!

Whatever. This thread was also about what drugs (not just marijuana, drugs in general!) to do people, and i saw plenty of that-from the sources above.

I'm not even gonna comment on "it would help you chill". Don't even go there.

By the way, thanks for the patronising tone throughout your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom