Avoiding Kids: How Men Cope With Being Cast as Predators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
These days, if Rian Romoli accidentally bumps into a child, he quickly raises his hands above his shoulders. "I don't want to give even the slightest indication that any inadvertent touching occurred," says Mr. Romoli, an economist in La Cañada Flintridge, Calif.

Ted Wallis, a doctor in Austin, Texas, recently came upon a lost child in tears in a mall. His first instinct was to help, but he feared people might consider him a predator. He walked away. "Being male," he explains, "I am guilty until proven innocent."

In San Diego, retiree Ralph Castro says he won't allow himself to be alone with a child -- even in an elevator.

Last month, I wrote about how our culture teaches children to fear men. Hundreds of men responded, many lamenting that they've now become fearful of children. They said they avert their eyes when kids are around, or think twice before holding even their own children's hands in public.

Frank McEnulty, a builder in Long Beach, Calif., was once a Boy Scout scoutmaster. "Today, I wouldn't do that job for anything," he says. "All it takes is for one kid to get ticked off at you for something and tell his parents you were acting weird on the campout."

It's true that men are far more likely than women to be sexual predators. But our society, while declining to profile by race or nationality when it comes to crime and terrorism, has become nonchalant about profiling men. Child advocates are advising parents never to hire male babysitters. Airlines are placing unaccompanied minors with female passengers.

Child-welfare groups say these precautions minimize risks. But men's rights activists argue that our societal focus on "bad guys" has led to an overconfidence in women. (Children who die of physical abuse are more often victims of female perpetrators, usually mothers, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.)

Though groups that cater to the young are working harder to identify predators, they also ask that risks be kept in perspective. Big Brothers Big Sisters of America does criminal background checks on each of its 250,000 volunteers, and has social workers assess them. Since 1990, the group says, it has had fewer than 10 abuse allegations per year. More than 98% of the alleged abusers were male.

"If we wanted to make sure we never had a problem, one approach would be to just become Big Sisters -- to say we won't serve boys," says Mack Koonce, the group's chief operating officer. But, of course, that would deny hundreds of thousands of boys contact with male mentors.

The Boy Scouts of America now has elaborate rules to prevent both abuse and false accusations. There are 1.2 million Scout leaders, and the organization kicks out about 175 of them a year over abuse allegations or for violating policies.

These policies can be intricate. For instance, four adult leaders are needed for each outing. If a sick child must go home, two adults drive him and two stay with the others, so no adult is ever alone with a Scout. "It's protection for the adults, as well as the children," says a Scouts spokesman.

The result of all this hyper-carefulness, however, is that men often feel like untouchables. In Cochranville, Pa., Ray Simpson, a bus driver, says that he used to have 30 kids stop at his house on Halloween. But after his divorce, with people knowing he was a man living alone, he had zero visitors. "I felt like crying at the end of the evening," he says.

At Houston Intercontinental Airport, businessman Mitch Reifel was having a meal with his 5-year-old daughter when a policeman showed up to question him. A passerby had reported his interactions with the child seemed "suspicious."

In Skokie, Ill., Steve Frederick says the director of his son's day-care center called him in to reprimand him for "inappropriately touching the children." "I was shocked," he says. "Whatever did she mean?" She was referring to him reading stories with his son and other kids on his lap. A parent had panicked when her child mentioned sitting on a man's lap.

"Good parenting and good education demand that we let children take risks," says Mr. Frederick, a career coach. "We install playground equipment, putting them at risk of falls and broken bones. Why? We want them to challenge themselves and develop muscles and confidence.

"Likewise, while we don't want sexual predators to harm our kids, we do want our kids to develop healthy relationships with adults, both men and women. Instilling a fear of men is a profound disservice to everyone."

Article Category: General Youth Rights
Name of Original Publication: Wall Street Journal
URL for Original Article: http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB118903209653018615-lMyQjAxMDE3ODA5NjAwMzYyWj.html
Publication Date of Original Article: 6 September 2007

Excellent, excellent post. I was meaning to start a thread about this but I didn't have an article so we'd have had just me.

I'm not sure what the solution is, or if there's actually a problem. While it would piss me off beyond belief to have someone question me about my "behavior" with my daughter I'll deal with it, if it means the observer will finger the next guy that he/she thinks is acting oddly, who might actually be trying to abduct/molest a child.

Also we live in a world of fearmongering. In today's America every Muslim is a potential terrorist, every man is a potential child molester, and a black man might not be able to get a cab. Sad but true.

Very sad that this is the case these days.

The overhype of the To Catch A Predator series can't have helped much, either.

One can never be too cautious in this day and age, sure, but when it gets to the point where a father cannot even spend time with his children by himself without passerbys getting suspicious is sort of crazy, if you ask me. :slant:

And, for the record, I believe that women should be held up to the microscope just as much as men have. Susan Smith/Mary Kay Laterno (sp), etc., anyone?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
And, for the record, I believe that women should be held up to the microscope just as much as men have. Susan Smith/Mary Kay Laterno (sp), etc., anyone?

Susan Smith may not be a good example. She was raped repeatedly by her step-father, a personal friend of Pat Robertson.

This is really sad. I think Phil has to deal with it a lot, being an education major going into special education. He just loves little kids! He used to teach gymnastics as well, so big man + 3 year old girls in leotards can really turn heads, unfortunately. :sigh:

I find it absolutely ridiculous that a man might think twice about holding his own child's hand in public. That's not an unfortunate precaution based on the times, that's out and out paranoia.

I dunno, I'd gladly let a guy watch my kid instead of someone like, say, Andrea Yates. When I was a baby, it was just me and my dad during the day when my mom was at work, so I can only imagine what some of these groups would've said about that had they been around then :rolleyes:.

Wow. I agree with the others, that's really disturbing and sad. Talk about paranoia-those child advocates are going about it the wrong way big time. I'd say the best solution to this is to teach kids that there are good adults out there and there are bad adults out there. Let them know the difference between the two (and don't just assume one gender's worse than the other, 'cause that's just stupid and illogical), and let them know that if anything weird happens, they should find a trusted person to talk to about it. That's what I was always taught.

And as for adults, okay, a kid sitting on someone's lap is not automatically in danger. It might not hurt adults to get a refresher course on the difference between good adults and bad adults, too.

Angela

Zootlesque said:
Over reactionary and sad!
:yes: :(

There's common sense and then there's this kind of knee-jerk hysteria. Let's just lock everyone up in a bunker and hide from teh big bad world!!1 Sad.

kafrun said:
Let's just lock everyone up in a bunker and hide from teh big bad world!!1 Sad.

That comment made me think of a discussion on Bill Maher's show last week-it dealt with other topics, but this can apply, too-we're a country who's living in fear now. Everywhere we turn there's always some story about something new we've gotta be scared of-some disease, predators, other countries, the environment, etc. Of course we should be on alert for real dangers, but my god, we've gotten so friggin' paranoid about every little thing. And at the rate we're going, it wouldn't surprise me if someday we did wind up in the scenario you described.

By freaking out over every little thing imaginable, we're not able to properly deal with the real threats. This is a problem we've really gotta start addressing.

Angela

CTU2fan said:
Excellent, excellent post. I was meaning to start a thread about this but I didn't have an article so we'd have had just me.

I'm not sure what the solution is, or if there's actually a problem. While it would piss me off beyond belief to have someone question me about my "behavior" with my daughter I'll deal with it, if it means the observer will finger the next guy that he/she thinks is acting oddly, who might actually be trying to abduct/molest a child.
I do think that in the case of a man who's uncomfortable holding his own child's hand in public, the paranoia is likely more on his end than anyone else's. But it's undeniable that for men who work as teachers, coaches, camp counselors etc., times have changed and employers now strictly impose rules that didn't exist 25 years ago--always leave the door open when talking with a student, always have at least two adults present on field trips or scouting excursions, and so forth. For the most part, I have no problems with such rules, and think they represent a good compromise--from a parent's and administrator's POV they add an important safety buffer against a dishonorable adult's taking advantage of total privacy; from a kid's POV they're simply The Way Things Work, and they don't typically reflect much on it, or perceive such precautions as last-ditch protection from something imminently menacing.

That said, in more informal situations I have personally experienced or heard secondhand of some (IMO) overreactions/discrepancies that bothered me quite a bit. Examples:
--At the park or playground, mothers freaking out and running over to yank away their children when a father who's e.g. spinning his own kids on the carousel asks their (eagerly watching) kids if they'd like to get on too, while having no such problem with another woman doing so.
--Parents refusing to allow their kids to spend the afternoon playing at the home of friends (i.e. other kids) where a stay-at-home dad is the sole adult present, whereas they have no such hesitation with stay-at-home moms.
--Parents who don't bat an eye when a female neighbor they know, walking by, stops to chat with their kids for a few minutes, but make a point of coming outside and adopting an "I'm-watching-you" stance anytime a male neighbor whom they know is walking by and stops to do the same.
--Female babysitters' parents calling the mothers of kids their daughters babysat for to complain that their husbands, rather than the mothers, had driven their daughters home and that was a priori "inappropriate."
--And along the lines of one story mentioned in the article, parents complaining about fathers (but not mothers) who'd volunteered at their kids' nursery school or day camp having held their children's hands (along with other kids' hands) or allowed them to sit in their laps (along with other kids) in ordinary situations, i.e. with the regular teachers or camp counselors being present.

What kinds of experiences have you had that led you to think about this, or were you more responding to news stories and things like that?

Last edited:
In the line of personal experience, a guy I used to work with at my first job (during high school) was later accused of molesting a child. Of course, I don't know all of the details, but from a mutual friend who was there, it sounded more like a misunderstanding between the girl's parents and the guy. He was very outgoing, very affectionate. Actually, he was my favorite supervisor to work for at my job. Anyways, like I said, I can't know for sure his guilt or innocence, but I do know that the accusation and the subsequent gossip and publicity pretty much ruined his life.

That's extremely sad, especially considering the lack of male influence and/or fatherly influence in many kids' lives. I don't mean that in any derogatory way towards single mothers or lesbian couple parents, because kids can be fine and much more than fine without it. But it is important to have any other positive influence, and the fact that men are excluded from that for this reason is so wrong-and people will regret it.

this thread makes me so sad.

looking back, i've had tons of physical contact with kids aged 3-8, but gosh, being a preschool teacher and a swim instructor, it's kind of hard to teach the kids to do a backfloat when you don't put a hand in the middle of their back and say, "okay, head back, arms out, look at the sky, chest up, deep breath, and now .... float!" or when a 3 year old wants to sit in your lap and read a story, or when a 4 year old simply grabs you in a big hug because he needs some kind of reassurance.

i guess it's better to instruct from the deck of the pool or to rebuff a child, perhaps we could institute a new rule in the pre-school, "it's fine to hug Miss Young, but we don't touch Mr. Irvine, that's against the rules."

and after seeing "Gone Baby Gone" this weekend -- which is rather well done, and massively depressing -- i'd just as well not bother with kids anymore. if people are going to be watching me like a hawk because i'm not only a male, but a gay male, and the straights need as they do another party to blame for their failures, then is my mere presence doing more harm than good?

i suppose i should just remove myself from the situation.

Irvine511 said:
perhaps we could institute a new rule in the pre-school, "it's fine to hug Miss Young, but we don't touch Mr. Irvine, that's against the rules."

Actually, Irvine, it works both ways. Having assisted in the children's area of the library where I work for several years I can tell you that these "rules" apply to women as well. I've read to many classes where small children will hug me around the waist as I'm leaving and I am never comfortable with it (and I am a straight woman as well as a parent.) Also, In my experience working with children, I would never feel that it was appropriate to have a child sit on my lap.

I'm sure that these issues are a hundred times worse for men, but these days when it comes to children, no one can be too careful. It's sad, but it's true.

I know that it's completely completely unfair to act as if every single man is going to molest a child. I was invited to sleep over at a friend's house when I was in grade school, and my mom wouldn't let me, because for whatever reason she was uncertain about the character of this friend's father. He ended up molesting one of my other friends who slept over at some later point and it has had a huge effect on her life. But at the same time I have another friend who was terribly abused by her mother. I can understand to an extent the cautions that people have, say letting a child go over to a house where there is just the father home, so I don't know. But while it is true that most sexual predators are men, but that does not mean that ALL men are sexual predators.

AttnKleinkind said:
I was invited to sleep over at a friend's house when I was in grade school, and my mom wouldn't let me, because for whatever reason she was uncertain about the character of this friend's father. He ended up molesting one of my other friends who slept over at some later point and it has had a huge effect on her life.

This is the problem. The assumption that all men are predators can over-rule gut instincts. And gut instincts will be more accurate than paranoia.

I hate that assumption. Most men are not predators. I mean, women get told all the time that men are predators, and little children incapable of controlling themselves. That belief system is damaging to men and boys because it gets ingrained into boys, too. They're treated like animals incapable of thought, therefore they act like it, thus completing the vicious cycle.

That, or boys and men are taught that in order to be 'enlightened' they must act just like women. Which twitches me. Trying to go on a date with these new agey guys just makes me want to shoot myself directly in the temporal lobe. Seriously.:p

bonosgirl84 said:
Also, In my experience working with children, I would never feel that it was appropriate to have a child sit on my lap.

Santa's FUCKED. :uhoh:

How's he going to know what to bring little Jimmy or little Lisa? :sad:

I recently moved into a neighborhood that has more children in it than any previous neighborhood I've ever lived in. It's a dirt road off a main street and it's a sweet little community. When I walk my Chihuahua up and down the dirt road, kids come running to visit him. So I know all of the kids in my new neighborhood but none of their parents. One day I was walking the dog to pick up the mail when a little girl I'd never seen before came running out of her yard to see my dog. She was about 9 and we were chatting about her dog and mine when suddenly her mother yelled from the porch in an angry voice for her to get in the house. It was a huge wake up call for me. I realized I have to be verrry careful. I don't spend much time with kids so I'm kind of naive sometimes. So now I just let the kids pet the dog for a minute and then I move on quickly. They follow me sometimes all the way to my door. I never thought I'd be uncomfortable with sweet neighborhood kids but apparently parents are suspicious of anyone these days--mostly men but there are crazy women out there who kidnap children, too.

i wonder what the effect all of this is on children.

it's a complex thing. in the past, molestation, rape, abuse -- all of these things were wildly underreported, and so it's a good thing that we're much more aware of it now, and that there's a more open attitude towards discussing these things and doing something about it and equipping children with knowledge so that they are less likely to be taken advantage of by an adult.

but most adults are harmless. most men are harmless. most adults want children to grow up safe and happy and healthy, and most like to participate in activites that help children do such things, whether it's scouting or swimming lessons. there's got to be something a bit wrong bringing up a child in a world where they are not not to be aware, but to be suspicious, and that strangers are to be feared. it's the threading of fear into the fabric of life that i think can do much damage to a child -- the world is going to get big and dark and scary as an adult, why start so young? and i also wonder, if a child is taught that they can only trust their parents, then what does a child do when their parents might be the abusers, either physically or emotionally?

it strikes me as all so sad.

joyfulgirl said:
She was about 9 and we were chatting about her dog and mine when suddenly her mother yelled from the porch in an angry voice for her to get in the house.

There could be other reasons for her mother yelling at her. She could have been disobeying any one of several things her mother had already told her a number of times. It could be that the mother was attempting to tech her daughter not to bug adults.

It may not have been you.

joyfulgirl said:
I don't spend much time with kids so I'm kind of naive sometimes

Same here-I understand why people are afraid but it hurts your feelings too. It's not just the parents, you see it in the kids too. Wild kids and certain types of kids make me nervous, but other kids I am fine with and when I try to be friendly with them it can actually get to the point where I feel uncomfortable and like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. Sometimes when a kid is just so open and natural you can tell how the parents teach them-and I doubt they're so open that they would go off with a stranger, at least I hope not. I'm not blaming parents at all for being cautious and afraid, but there does have to be a balance-the question is how to properly go about that I guess in the way that is best for parents and kids. It can get to the point where you avoid all interaction with kids for those reasons.

martha said:

There could be other reasons for her mother yelling at her. She could have been disobeying any one of several things her mother had already told her a number of times. It could be that the mother was attempting to tech her daughter not to bug adults.

It may not have been you.

I thought of that, too. But it was still a wake-up call that I should be very conscious about my interractions with the neighborhood kids. There's also a race issue; it's a mixed neighborhood and I'm in the minority (I guess I'm part of the gentrification, sadly). Though it's rarely an issue, you never know what it is that's going to trigger some ancient tension.

Back
Top Bottom