Author unknown - letter to Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez letter to Bush

this is something i found to be quite interesting....if not thought provoking. this IS NOT MY creation, although i do agree with some of the points. controversial indeed, i urge u to read it and voice ur thoughts. once again dont get mad at me if u disagree with anything that is said in it as i did not write this (its translated from spanish if u want the spanish version let me know and ill post it for it is more eloquent). GGM is one of the greatest latinamerican authors....

Letter to George W. Bush on September 11,

How does it feel? How does it feel now that horror is erupting in your own yard and not in your neighbour?s living room? What is it like to feel the fear pressing down on your chest, the panic caused by the deafening noise, to see the flames burning out of control, the buildings collapsing, to experience the terrible smell penetrating to the depths of the lungs, and to see the eyes of the innocent walking around covered in blood and dust?

What does it feel like to spend a day in your own home not knowing what is going to happen next? How is it possible to emerge from the state of shock? On 6 August 1945 the survivors of Hiroshima were walking around in a state of shock. No part of the city was left standing after the bomb was dropped by the American artillery from the Enola Gay. In a few seconds 80,000 men, women and children had died. Another 250,000 were to die from radiation in the years to come. But that was a distant war and television did not even exist.

What does the horror feel like today when the terrible television pictures tell you that the events of that fateful September 11th did not take place in a distant land but in your own country? On another September 11th, 28 years earlier, a president by the name of Salvador Allende died resisting a coup d??tat planned by the leaders of your country. That was also a time of horror but it was taking place many, many miles away from your borders in a small and obscure South American republic. Those republics were in your own back yard but you were never very concerned when your marines set off with all guns blazing to impose your point of view.

Do you know that between 1824 and 1994 your country carried out 73 invasions in countries of Latin America? The victims were Puerto Rico, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Haiti, Colombia, Cuba, Honduras, the Dominican Republic, the Virgin Islands, El Salvador, Guatemala and Grenada.

The rulers of your country have been at war for almost a century. Since the beginning of the 20th century, there has been almost no war in which the people from your Pentagon have not been involved. Of course, the bombs always explode outside your territory, with the exception of Pearl Harbour when the Japanese bombed the Seventh Fleet in 1941. But the horror was still far away.

When the Twin Towers collapsed into dust, when you saw the TV pictures or heard the screams because you happened to be in Manhattan that morning, did you think for a second about how the peasants of Vietnam must have felt for so many years? In Manhattan, people fell from the heights of the skyscrapers like tragic puppets. In Vietnam, people screamed out in pain because napalm goes on burning the skin for a long time and their deaths were equally as dreadful as the deaths of those who leapt into the void in desperation.

Your air force did not leave a single factory standing or bridge undestroyed in Yugoslavia. In Iraq, 500,000 people died. Half a million souls were taken by Operation Desert Storm... How many people have bled to death in distant exotic places such as Vietnam, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Libya, Angola, Somalia, Congo, Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Yugoslavia, Sudan? The list goes on... In all those places, the bullets used were made in your country?s factories and were fired by your boys, by people paid by your State Department, and just so that you could carry on enjoying the American way of life.

For almost a century, your country has been at war with the entire world. Curiously, your leaders turn to the horsemen of the Apocalypse in the name of freedom and democracy. But you must know that for many peoples of the world (on this planet where every day 24,000 people die from hunger or curable diseases), the United States does not represent freedom but a distant terrible enemy who only sows war, hunger, fear and destruction. For you those military conflicts have taken place far away but for those who live there, a war in which buildings collapse under the bombing and people die a terrible death is a painful reality that is taking place right next to them. And 90% of the victims have been civilians, women, old people and children ? ?collateral damage?.

What is it like when horror knocks on your door, albeit for a single day? How does it make you feel when the victims in New York are secretaries, stock market traders or cleaners who pay their taxes on time and have never killed a fly?

What does fear feel like? How does it feel, Yank, knowing that on September 11th the long war finally reached your home?

Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez

I have only one thing to say......

The author of the letter should stick it where the SUN DON'T SHINE!

The fact that the author takes pleasure in the fact that 9/11 happened makes anything said in here invalid in my opinion.

Therefore, I am not wasting my valuable time addressing the SHITE in the letter point by point.

Have fun....here let me start the cheer:

It's the US's fault....:applaud:

It's a Hoax

After typing what I did.....I decided to find out who the author was and I went to a page about the NOBLE PRIZE winning author.

http://www.themodernword.com/gabo/

It seems the BrownEyed Boy was victim of a hoax.

[Q]New Gabo Hoax: Carta a Bush de Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez

Ah, the joys of the Internet! It seems that Garbo is the "victim" of yet another fake letter, this one slightly more nasty than La marioneta! Called in Spanish "Carta a Bush de Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez," or "Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez' Letter to Bush," the open letter is a post 9-11 diatribe about the United States. The letter was not written by Gabo, who repudiated it in the newspaper La Jornada, calling it a piece of bad writing ("mal escrito").
I must confess, I am rather puzzled that anyone could possibly think that Gabo could write such a letter, which goes well beyond good taste and reason to express anger at American imperialism. More distressing to me, however, is that many versions of the letter circulating the Internet have "borrowed" my introduction to this very site, Macondo, as an introduction to the letter! Eek, I say, Eeek. I have nothing to do with this letter either!
For those who are curious, here is a link to what's causing all the fuss:

http://chile.indymedia.org/news/2003/02/1289_comment.php[/Q]

Glad this hoax was discovered for what it was. GGM is a wonderful author (1000 years of Solitude, Like Water for Chocolate???, and Love in a time of Cholera among other modern classics, unless I'm mistaken) and as such, if he'd written a critique of US foreign policy to the prez, I'd have thought he'd do a much more poetic and nuanced job. :)

Thanks Dread! Nice catch!:wave:

sd

Most content on the internet is dubious when you think about it. Problem with things like this, someone wrote it and no doubt it truly reflects someone's view anyway - which is a shame.

yeah GGM is a great author of latin america. I did specify that someone translated it because in spanish it was a little better written...
i guess it is a hoax, someone sent it to me by email and i thought it was an interesting read be it a hoax or not should be besides the point. what do u think about what it says?

i think the author is somewhat right, however killing people isnt good at any level. 9/11 was horrible. two wrongs do not make a right.
i believe hes mainly saying "hey this has happened before"

BrownEyedBoy said:

i guess it is a hoax, someone sent it to me by email and i thought it was an interesting read be it a hoax or not should be besides the point. what do u think about what it says?

i think the author is somewhat right, however killing people isnt good at any level. 9/11 was horrible. two wrongs do not make a right.
i believe hes mainly saying "hey this has happened before"

Well, it being a hoax is not besides the point. It is MORE a piece of TOILET PAPER than I thought.

It has nothing to do with two wrongs do not make a right, because in MANY of the cases the author throws innacurate numbers and truths into the mix. Revisionist history if you will.

I honestly think the title of the THREAD should be changed because it is an insult to the Nobel Prize Winning Author to have his name associated with it.

[Q]What is it like when horror knocks on your door, albeit for a single day? How does it make you feel when the victims in New York are secretaries, stock market traders or cleaners who pay their taxes on time and have never killed a fly?

What does fear feel like? How does it feel, Yank, knowing that on September 11th the long war finally reached your home? [/Q]

I am not going to share with you how it feels. You clearly are taking too much pleasure in what you wrote. I can tell you I cried yesterday when I found out that a plaque was being donated for the PEACE garden being built at my school in memory of a girl that died on 9/11.

i agree with the changing of the name of the thread, i tried editing it but the site doesnt let me saying something about waiting 60 minutes before i edit or something...hopefully an admin. could straighten it out and change the name of the topic.

AGAIN, i did not write the letter. some1 sent it to me as a forwarded email.

i just posted it to see what u guys thought ok?
i just want to know what u think of what it says for i find it to be an interesting read.

Ok, the title has changed. Its ok BrownEyedBoy, often things appear on here where we haven't checked fully into the source or validity. I did that myself just the other day. Its possibly something we should attempt to do, but at the time perhaps researching is not something we even consider.
Anyways.

Apart from what look to be facts such as the 'invasions' of 73 countries in Latin America and such, all that might very well be true. I'm not sure, but its neither here nor there when looking at the purpose of this letter. It is the tone that I have a large problem with. I think pain and fear is universal, really mooting the thinking behind this. I think this letter fails to mention one key 'fact' and that is I doubt any of the examples this author listed were done with the attitude that would make all this valid. Everything America has done over the last century cannot be rolled into one neat history of "war, hunger, fear and destruction" mongering.
I also don't like the term "yank" being used as it was. Probably a small thing, but it grated when I read it and I'm not even American.

I think whoever wrote that letter and claimed it to be written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a fool. However I'm amused that the level of response to it was a sarcastic "it's the US' fault."

You feel horror and despair at what happened on September 11th 2001, as every decent person does. Some of us also experience the same emotions with regard to the slaughter in Vietnam, in Iraq, in Chile, in Haiti, in El Salvador and in other countries across the globe.

Whether a person is American, Vietnamese, Cambodian or Iraqi, their life is of equal value. If people mourn the loss of innocent people on September 11th and yet disregard the millions of people killed around the globe over the last half century, they are nothing more than hypocrites.

Next time you see on television pictures of September 11th, think also of the families in El Salvador who returned home to find their families murdered and their bodies grotesquely mutilated. Think of the people herded into football stadiums in Chile and their terror as soldiers opened fire killing indiscriminately. Think of children in Vietnam running from their home village obliterated by American bombs.

Don't disregard their experiences, their fear simply because they aren't American. September 11th was a horrific tragedy, events perpetrated by the United States in the countries listed above were equally horrific and equally tragic.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I think whoever wrote that letter and claimed it to be written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a fool. However I'm amused that the level of response to it was a sarcastic "it's the US' fault."

Don't disregard their experiences, their fear simply because they aren't American. September 11th was a horrific tragedy, events perpetrated by the United States in the countries listed above were equally horrific and equally tragic.

I think it is insulting that you equate my response to this with disregarding lives. I feel as if you have ignored other posts I have made on this board. There is no way you are addressing anyone elses response since I am the only person who used those words.

I am not going to get into a debate over every single country you listed, but I am also not going to sit back and say the US is SOLELY responsible for everything that happened in each and every case. The responsibility also lies with the leaders of other countries as well.

I am approaching one year on this board. It has been my home on the net for that time. I very rarely go to any board. I am SICK to death of the REVISIONIST history and the finger POINTING at the US as the root of all evil in this world. I have been coming here less and less because of it, not because I can't handle it, but because it is unbalanced, unfair, and very often innacurate and most of the people who defended the side I lean towards are gone.

Maybe Pat Buchanan WAS correct. Maybe it is time to be isolationist, keep our FOREIGN AID here and apply it to our own problems. Take our troops out of other countries and start working to make this country better. Reduce the deficit, fund schools, help the homeless and provide universal healthcare. All of these things we could do with the money sent to other nations. This is of course not my postion, but I am feeling that way today.

Dread,

I don't want to make this into a discussion of individual people or how they approach subjects, but rather a discussion of the politics expressed in the initial post. I do find it ridiculous that many conservative posters here, instead of discussion the subject, will resort to caricatures of their opponents position (ie. "it's all America's fault").

I don't by any means agree with everything the author said, but I do think he raises valid points about the suffering inflicted on innocent people by United States foreign policy, and he is correct in highlighting the fact that many people are willing to ignore the horrendous suffering of people across the world so long as they aren't American.

You seem to dismiss this as "revisionist history and finger pointing at the US" but what is your own interpretation of events? Was the US-backed coup which overthrew the democratically elected Allende justified in the name of anti-communism? Was the dropping of napalm bombs on Vietnam similarly justifiable?

I don't come to this forum that often anymore either, mostly because I have enough political discussions in "real life" that I prefer to go on the internet to relax and chat about less serious subjects. But this forum is always going to be "unbalanced" simply because it's not engineered to have X number of conservatives and X number of liberals and XX% of US citizens, etc. It's like real life: sometimes you'll be in a group where most people agree with you, sometimes you'll be in the minority. It's just the way it goes. I like that we have people like yourself and several others who give a more conservative point of view - it helps me to be more critical of what I believe because I see how others view the issues.

I'm really sorry if my post seemed to be attacking you and you felt insulted by it. I didn't intend that and I'm sorry that it came across like that. :(

While I do not agree with "blame the U.S. for everything evil" type arguments, I agree with Fizz that we've pulled some real screw-ups, especially in Vietnam and Latin America. Our whole Latin American policy has mostly sucked. I demonstrated against Reagan's Latin American policy, using murderers to hold up a right-wing dictatorship in El Salvador on the grounds that it was fighting Communism and funding other killers in Nicaragua to try to get rid of the Sandinista government. This was U.S. policy at its worst and thank God it was stopped by the first President Bush. He sensibly set up a fair, clean election in Nicaragua which was the way the Sandinista opposition got into power in a peaceful manner. There was no bloodshed on that election day in Nicaragua. There had never been any need for it and all that stuff was a :censored: fiasco.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

You seem to dismiss this as "revisionist history and finger pointing at the US" but what is your own interpretation of events? Was the US-backed coup which overthrew the democratically elected Allende justified in the name of anti-communism? Was the dropping of napalm bombs on Vietnam similarly justifiable?

Hiroshima and Nagasaki-Justified
Coup in Chili-Justified
Vietnam-Was a War, Not getting sucked into another Napalm debate, had too many in here.

[Q]I'm really sorry if my post seemed to be attacking you and you felt insulted by it. I didn't intend that and I'm sorry that it came across like that. :( [/Q]

I accept that, but too often I am finding something I typed lumped in to someone making it seem like I do not value another human beings life. It is one of the reasons many are leaving here and no longer post.

Last edited:
Why was it acceptable for the United States to orchestrate a coup against the democratically elected president of Chile? This led directly to the murder of thousands of innocent people in Chile under the regime of General Pinochet. The people of Chile, in an election, decided they wished to elect Salvador Allende as their president - what do you believe gave the United States the right to decide otherwise?

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Why was it acceptable for the United States to orchestrate a coup against the democratically elected president of Chile? This led directly to the murder of thousands of innocent people in Chile under the regime of General Pinochet. The people of Chile, in an election, decided they wished to elect Salvador Allende as their president - what do you believe gave the United States the right to decide otherwise?

Because Nixon did not like him.:sexywink:

Fizz...

I think that when you take away the historical context of the time, with the country worried about the spread of communism into the region, it is justified.

By my saying this, it is no way an endorsement of MR. Pinochet or his policies. But you can attempt to make that my position of you like.

See ya!

what about how the panama canal came to be?
panama belonged to colombia back then and the colombians didnt want to create the canal. US didnt like that. so they funded the panama rebels and panama got its independence, that is why the US had influence on the canal....if i remember correctly.
it just goes to show that the US has tremendous power and sometimes it has been used for their own benefit and no one else's.

And there was me thinking that it was conservatives who believed in moral absolutes and liberals who believed politics to be more nuanced. :wink:

Anyway. Historical context. Does the historical context make it acceptable for the US to overthrow a democratically elected government? I mean if, for instance, Iraq had feared it was about to be attacked by the US back in May, would it have been okay for them to send people over to Washington to obliterate the White House?

I don't think you do support Pinochet. I hope no decent person did. But you've just said you supported him being put into power. How does that work? The US was scared of communism so they sometimes had to support a fascist or ten? It was okay if they caused unbelievable suffering to innocent people because at least it wasn't Americans doing the suffering? As long as it wasn't Americans being herded into football stadiums and murdered in their thousands it was fine.

The USA professes to be a champion of democracy. How does that reputation square with overthrowing the democratically elected leader of another country?

I see no way to justify the "Chile coup"
It was against a democratic elected government.
The US paniced when they heared the word communism. They shot down several democracies which seemed to be too close to the communists. (Iraq too)

The mistakes they made created many Antiamericanism in the World, because the US seemed like hipocrats they talked about liberty, freedom and democracy, but supported dictators as soon as other democracies shifted from capitalism to communism.

So, no excuses - they abused their power as soon as they had the power

Klaus

I'm glad it was a hoax. Btw, GGM did not write 'Like Water for Chocolate', that was Laura Esquivel.

Though the letter was blatantly badly written, and though I do not wish to be sucked into another debate about the screw-ups of America, I do feel I should express my own opinion to events that have already been mentioned, revisionist or not.

Respectfully, Dreadsox, none of the three conflicts you mentioned are justified.

Ant.

I don't think an anal fear of the spread of communism is a reason to excuse the US interference in legitimate foreign governments.

We were wrong IMO regardless of the reasons, including in Iran and Iraq. We helped the British overthrow the Iraqi Gov't because they nationalized the oil in thier country as was Iran.

edited to add:

The governments we helped overthrough weren't even truly communist, more socialist, although they may have had diplomatic interactions wwith Russia. Then we can add those in Africa to our list of horrendous results of interference.

Last edited:
Allende was elected as a socialist in 1970. I think it was a mistake to overthrow his government. Like I've said I am not fond of U.S. Latin American policy, period. Some of the people who executed it no doubt meant well but I think they were sincerely wrong. I just don't agree.

Anthony said:

Respectfully, Dreadsox, none of the three conflicts you mentioned are justified.

Ant.

You need to write me better then!!!!

Sorry, but I agree that it was necessary to do what we could to fight the spread of communism. I again stress I do not agree with how it went down. Much as I agree we needed to act in Iraq, but not in the way this went down.

Japan had NOT surrendered unconditionally. Hiroshima was a MAJOR producer of weapons that were being used on US forces. I find it to be rediculous to eliminate that it was a military target. The Japanese would agree with that, as I posted in another thread, they have been working over there to make certain that their Imperialistic behavior was also responsible for the place they found themselves at that time.

Vietnam, napalm is bad nasty stuff. I can agree with you there. Was the Vietnam War justified...yes. Was it fought correctly no.

I am really regretting responding to this thread. I should have bowed out at the hoax post and left it in the gutter where it stood.

Lol, Dreadsox, I 'should' write you better. Hrm, I don't know... I think some interesting developments are in store for you, some very interesting twists and turns in the plot. I think I may indeed fix it so that Dreadsox will vote Democrat in the next election. My, that would be a twist the readers wouldn't expect.

Seriously, though, don't regret inserting those comments in, Dreadsox, they sparked debate, and civil at that. If you're too tired to debate, you could always admit defeat. :wink: You're a gentleman who I love to disagree with, because your debate is constructive and above all, respectful. So don't regret it, be proud of it!

However, I still disagree.

I'm sorry, (and in no way is this a purposeful and rash generalisation of American thought, but I have noticed that it is very popular in the USA in particular, not just the 'Western world') but I have always disagreed and failed to comprehend the completely irrational fear of communism, and it was this fear, more than anything else, that caused so many errors and so many deaths. Do I agree with communism? No, though I admit that my family has communist (as well as fascist) roots, a few of my family members are communists, and I do not condemn them any more than my Conservative family members (I would like to add that I do not equate the Conservatives with the fascists at all, I just happen to disagree more with Conservatives than Communists). I disagree with Communism, though I am a Socialist, but everytime we reach the whole anti-communism campaign it truly angers me how the Western world dealt with it, and I strongly disagree with how the American government in particular dealt with it. To this day, this overwhelming fear of communism still seems irrational to me. I hope one day I will be in a position to understand.

The coup in Chile was, I'm sorry to say, absolutely disgusting and it continues to be so, and there is no way to justify the removal of power from someone who was elected democratically and giving it to someone who caused so much damage and so much pain, simply because one upheld the same economic values as the USA did, and the other did not. Similiarly, I would like to address the continuing controversy of Cuba. Now, Castro is a dictator, there is no doubt about that, but so was his predecessor Batista, who of course was supported by the American government, the only difference being, of course, was that Batista's economic opinions were quite close to the USA's. Forgive me, but I do not see this mentality as a justification.

Japan did not surrender unconditionally, and it needed to be attacked. What I'm concerned here is proportionality. Two atomic bombs is not proportional with an aerial attack.

The Vietnam war, ultimately, had nothing to do with the USA.

Ant.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Lol, Dreadsox, I 'should' write you better. Hrm, I don't know... I think some interesting developments are in store for you, some very interesting twists and turns in the plot. I think I may indeed fix it so that Dreadsox will vote Democrat in the next election. My, that would be a twist the readers wouldn't expect.

The readers would not expect that in my youth I was a worker in an openly gay democratic congressman's office.....

But I was!!!!!!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom