Australian Federal Budget - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2004, 02:27 AM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:38 PM
It will be a cold day in hell before I vote Democrat
And as soon as the Greens become strong in something outside tree hugging, I will vote them, no worries. I actually did in the last election.

...Kidding about the tree hugging

Old 05-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Actually I was thinking of the previous elections. I have voted Democrat but Im not too sure now after all the Cheryl saga., etc.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:38 AM
As a member of the working poor, there is nothing in Howard's budget for me. Not that I expected it. I do pay tax, quite a bit in fact, but I guess people like me just don't count.

Anyway none of that matters to me. I'll do as I did in 1998 and 2001 and vote against the lying sack of shit, for a whole variety of reasons.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The idea that the Liberal party has some kind of monopoly on 'economic management' is a complete furphy.

And I can't say it enough, the Government does not 'run the economy'. Contrary to popular belief, peace and prosperity won't come crumbling down should Howard leave office. The government influences things around the edges, but it does NOT provide the great economy.

You know what provides the economy? Millions of individuals going about their business.

There was a time when Hawkie and Keating were the economic golden boys. That time passed and this one will as well.

Also I do agree with where Ozaurora is coming from. The economy is not an end, it is one part of the social fabric. If we end up serving it, we are lost.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:21 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And one last thing that should never, ever be forgotten - it wasn't 'great economic management' that granted John Howard his last election win.

It was 911, and the Tampa. Simple as that. Circle the wagons and damn the consequences.

Howard is worse than Bob Hawke these days. He seems to have no particular agenda other than his reactionary belief system. Like Hawkie, he just wants to be Prime Minister. Just because.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:28 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:38 PM
At least we'll never see Johnny gracing the cover of Woman's Day dressed in a white fluffy bathrobe.
You believe that 77% of us really supported Tampa? Statistics like that always bother me though.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

No Angie, I don't really believe that 77% of us supported Tampa (or anything else).

I don't believe polls.

Fact is, in a two-party system, all Howard needs is the tiniest swing (2 or 3 per cent) his way for the Coalition to retain office. And on that basis, yes I blame the Tampa 'crisis'. And 911.

People forget how close the last two elections were. 1998 and 2001 were both knife-edge affairs, in terms of the percentage of the vote cast.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Aye Kieran.

I think the main thing the country needs right now is a change in government, if only because it will mean a change in attitude from the smarmy consumerism of the present leadership.

Latham's budget response didn't quite go as far as it should've and could've, but whenever he says "prosperity with a purpose" I nod.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Latham is nearly as bad as the Liberal Party in his ideology, however the great thing about electing a party is you get other people too. There are some people on the Labor front bench that strike me as having the right priorities.