Australian Election - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #106
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
... Actually, with all this said, are we really finally headed in the right direction? New Zealand just gets more attractive every day.
To be perfectly honest, I'm worried about New Zealand. Helen Clark and Labour only just won the last election and as long as National doesn't implode and can field a half-decent candidate, I expect them to win the next election. I'm genuinely concerned about what might happen if the Nationals win - specifically, that they may come good on what they've said they'd like to do and apologise to the US over the mid-1980s ANZUS spat in order to restore New Zealand's alliance with the US. We have nothing to apologise for. The US should be grovelling at our feet, begging forgiveness for being such a juvenile and immature bully. And frankly, the last two decades have shown vividly that we don't need the US. New Zealand doesn't need the US and it doesn't need the UK either like it once did. We've been leaders in engaging Asia and it's working a charm.

Back to Australia, I'd love to see Abbott lead the Liberals. He's so gaffe-prone and so completely incompetent that it would tarnish the Liberals and ruin their election chances for years to come. It would be a gift to the Greens especially; they're already outpolling the Liberals in a few parts of the country.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 AM   #107
Refugee

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

To be perfectly honest, I'm worried about New Zealand. Helen Clark and Labour only just won the last election and as long as National doesn't implode and can field a half-decent candidate, I expect them to win the next election. I'm genuinely concerned about what might happen if the Nationals win - specifically, that they may come good on what they've said they'd like to do and apologise to the US over the mid-1980s ANZUS spat in order to restore New Zealand's alliance with the US. We have nothing to apologise for. The US should be grovelling at our feet, begging forgiveness for being such a juvenile and immature bully. And frankly, the last two decades have shown vividly that we don't need the US. New Zealand doesn't need the US and it doesn't need the UK either like it once did. We've been leaders in engaging Asia and it's working a charm.

Back to Australia, I'd love to see Abbott lead the Liberals. He's so gaffe-prone and so completely incompetent that it would tarnish the Liberals and ruin their election chances for years to come. It would be a gift to the Greens especially; they're already outpolling the Liberals in a few parts of the country.
To be honest that's one of the reasons i voted Labor....I really liked the way how the Prime-Minister Elect had stood against Bush. I really hate brown-nosers!

Downer, Nelson, Bishop and Hockey are being whispered to also lead the liberal party....Thank Lord Abbott has woken up and pulled out ......I mean with a statement like "I believe i have REASONABLE people skills" in response to being asked why he should be the leader of the now opposition........He stuffed it before he even started

Old 11-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
The US should be grovelling at our feet, begging forgiveness for being such a juvenile and immature bully.
Ha, good luck getting that to happen anytime soon .

Angela
Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This is a little trivial of me (don't worry, I follow the big issues too), but that line from Abbott about people skills, reminded me of the guy in 'Office Space':

'I deal with the customers, don't you get it?! I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS! WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?'
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Brendan Nelson is the new Libs leader

(seriously, we should all be putting bets on....)
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #111
War Child

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Brendan bet Malcolm Turnbull? Shit. Malcolm should just buy the leadership. He is rich enough.

Brendan Nelson - leader of the opposition. This smacks of the Libs in Vic after Jeff Kennett. Hello minimum three term labour government!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #112
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Brendan Nelson is the new Libs leader
Holy shit, I didn't see that coming. And Julie Bishop is indeed the deputy. The Liberals jump on the "have a woman as deputy" bandwagon. Of course, one suspects that Gillard is deputy PM because she actually deserves the position, while Bishop is just there because the Libs were desperate and didn't want another New South Welshman.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-29-2007, 06:33 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Julie Bishop is there because of the relatively strong showing in WA. One reason among many, anyhow.

I guess Brendan Nelson is there because they need a whipping boy right now. The line doing the rounds is that Tony Abbott stands for too much and Brendan Nelson stands for nothing.

And Malcom Turnbull, well who knows what he stands for. Superficially 'liberal', maybe not so much in reality, a little like the former Treasurer. He's probably awaiting his moment.

Blah. who gives a shit. They can fight it out for a decade and I hope they do because for all the talk of 'they're all the same', I do NOT want a capital C Liberal government in power next time we have a depression. Which if it happens will almost certainly originate in the wider world. Just like that other recession we had to have. We are not an island.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #114
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
All i wanna say is 'who the eff is julie bishop??'

imploooooooooooooode!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Julie Bishop is from WA. Not all pollies have to come from Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 AM

This is cool.

Someone appointed to be Environment Minister that actually cares about the environment.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #117
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Brendan Nelson used to be a trade unionist.

Julie Bishop - hmmm, not too sure about her.

Being the shallow person that I am, looking at Kevin Rudd makes me think "smarmey Mummy's boy who has just had a mark wiped off his face with spit on a hanky" (you know what I mean ) BUT I am impressed with his decision to pick the labor ministers himself and the his statements yesterday about each one. I just hope that Julia Gillard is not going to fall in a heap with the workload he has given her, it is a huge portfolio. It feels like there is going to be some massive changes in Australia with the environment and education big winners. I just hope they follow through with what they said they were going to do. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:10 PM
You mothers!!!!

Maybe Julia's been dumped with the huge workload so she wont' have any time to mount any leadership coups. Gee, I'd make a great conspiracy theorist.....
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #119
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
I guess Brendan Nelson is there because they need a whipping boy right now. The line doing the rounds is that Tony Abbott stands for too much and Brendan Nelson stands for nothing.
What I can't fathom is why they chose Nelson given he was previously Defence Minister. He's got more than enough baggage to weigh him down there.

And he's enough of a dipshit that he's offered at least a measure of support to the teaching of intelligent design. I suppose the Fundies First crowd are happy.

Quote:
Blah. who gives a shit. They can fight it out for a decade and I hope they do because for all the talk of 'they're all the same', I do NOT want a capital C Liberal government in power next time we have a depression. Which if it happens will almost certainly originate in the wider world. Just like that other recession we had to have. We are not an island.
No, no, get it right. If there's a recession under Labour, it's all their fault and has nothing to do with the wider world, and we urgently need the Liberals to save us all from the trade unionists who want to destroy the economy. If there's a recession under the Liberals, it's all due to the wider world, and if Labour were in charge, we'd be poorer than Swaziland within a day. All hail the mighty Liberals! Now let's just pass laws to allow wealthy CEOs and Malcolm Turnbull to rape Australia in the name of economic rationalism and then enjoy some champagne.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #120
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Maybe Julia's been dumped with the huge workload so she wont' have any time to mount any leadership coups. Gee, I'd make a great conspiracy theorist.....
From the news reports I've heard, as deputy leader, she got to pick the portfolios she wanted, so she's willingly taking on the huge workload.

Gig pictures | Blog