Australian Election - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Hey blueeyedgirl - good to see another south aussie on here
Yeah, great results all around I think. My electorate (Makin) swung to Labor by a fair majority, which was satisfying!
Must say I too was pretty surprised by Costello's announcement - there is certainly going to be some major upheavel in the Liberal Party now, that's for sure.
I agree, it should be interesting to see how Nick Xenophon goes in canberra - i don't necessarily agree with all his opinions, but it's always good to see someone willing to stick their neck out for what they believe in.
What a good day to be an Aussie

Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:19 AM
You reap what you sow. Howard has gained his power entirely through divide & conquer policies and hate & fear campaigns. Eventually he was going to have too few friends left, it was bound to happen, and personally, I think it was always going to happen the minute Labor put forward even a remotely competent candidate. The previous two elections before this one could easily have gone Labor's way as well if only their candidates just had half a brain and/or just a sprinkling of charisma. It's no surprise that as soon as they put someone personable like Rudd forward, it was over for the Liberals. They never seemed to get that either.

As for leadership - you wouldn't want to be the opposition leader for the next year or so. They're going to be run through the shit like you wouldn't believe. An arrogant Labor with a mandate and 11 years of revenge to unleash, a party in disarray (did you know that the singular highest office the Liberal party holds now in this entire country is Mayor of Brisbane?) etc. The next one is the whipping boy, fall guy, will be gone in a year. The next opposition leader won't contest the next election. Costello would be looking at that vs a mega-job in the private sector and thinking "Fuck it" and fair enough. Costello isn't that bad - he's got all the charm of a hand grenade, but he's nowhere near as conservative as the rest of them. A Costello led party would have been waaaay left of a Howard led party and I think he would have also seen a fight on his hands if he were leader, but in opposition, so no 'real' power, and trying to pull this group in his direction. Anyway, personally, I'd like to see Abbott in there now. I hate that right-wing one man freak show with a passion - watching him get bashed around will be great. Then, I reckon it will be Turnbull contesting the next election.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Two things on Kevin Rudd:

1) Just because he's from Queensland, it doesn't mean his wife can get away with dressing like she's from Queensland.

2) The music they played when he was heading up to, and leaving, the stage was a real worry. If that's the best they can do...
Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
He seems a bit weak, his party is a fucking mess, his views on certain things (like gay marriage) are wrong, and he's not as "cool" and "progressive" as his party tried to make him out to be.
He's still for logging in Tassie, not getting rid of work choices (well some of it, but still keeping some really hardcore rules in place)

I just want some stuff to change. You want to bring the troops home, do it. You want to cool the relationship with America, please DO IT. Don't make these stupid promises and then back out of them like johnny did.

i still hate the fact our two parties are still so similar.
...wow, change the place and leader names and that pretty much sums up American politics right now! Nice to know our country isn't alone in having those problems.

Anywho, while I'm not overly well-versed in the candidates in Australian politics, I've talked to many a friend from that country who's vented about Howard and whatnot, so I'm glad that your country is getting some change in its leadership at last. Here's hoping for better days .

Also, Angela Harlem and Axver, ya know, you guys really should say what's on your minds more often. Don't hold back .

Angela
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
2) The music they played when he was heading up to, and leaving, the stage was a real worry. If that's the best they can do...
Yep, I thought that was the bum note of the night. for a minute I thought they were gonna drag out Eye of the Tiger as well....
Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Also can I mention how shocked I was to hear Matt Price has passed away. I had no idea he was ill. I loved reading his columns in the Australian, he had a wicked sense of humour. And a sad love of the Dockers. RIP.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #97
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Wow Clare Martin Chief Minister of the NT resigned today as well as Sal Stirling the deputy. She's labor too.... there are a lot of confused head scratching going on right now
is she bailing because she wants a cosy position in Canberra?
is she freaking out because she's going to get her arse kicked over the absolute SHIT job she's been doing with the indidgenous population.
Do she and Rudd hate each other and she knows shes gonna get the stick anyway?
veeeeeeeeeery interesting.

And i agree Earnie. I want Tony Abbott to become opposition leader because i can't wait till he's fucking taaken down in a barrage of shit that he has to take the fall for. Please take your right wing bullshit views, your family first freakos and your citizens countil fuckheads and piss off!!

which im not all hoooraaaaaaaah for Rudd - we'll see how he goes over the next few months, im looking forward to the liberals to go quietly away and lick their wounds.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Big Government Conservatives versus Big Government Conservatives - who won exactly?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #99
The Fly

Personally I think the satisfaction comes from the fact that John Howard got his arse kicked in the most spectacular fashion.

My parents, brothers and I aren't going to necessarily be better off...but it's almost better to be screwed over by the center faction than the right.

That's how I see it anyway.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #100
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Big Government Conservatives versus Big Government Conservatives - who won exactly?

the guy with more hair and the younger wife won. That's the only difference that I can see
Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #101
Jesus Online

Mark Vaile has gone, too! There's a God!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think it's most likely the Liberal leadership will go to Turnbull, with Nelson a shot with apparently strong back bench support, but, Chris Pyne has put his hand up for deputy. Please God PLEASE let them fuck up so badly that it's an Abbott/Pyne double act for the next year or so. Would be so, so funny.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Labor flirts with first broken promise...........

It's not going to happen," said one Labor frontbencher, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Another Labor source said: "I suppose you could put it in the non-core promise category. No one thinks it's a particularly good idea."
Non core promise
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #104
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
I think it's most likely the Liberal leadership will go to Turnbull, with Nelson a shot with apparently strong back bench support, but, Chris Pyne has put his hand up for deputy. Please God PLEASE let them fuck up so badly that it's an Abbott/Pyne double act for the next year or so. Would be so, so funny.
Abbott, funny? Yeah, I guess in a 'I want to shoot myself between the eyes' kind of way.

I want to know who's supprting Nelson. Even the Liberalites I've talked with can't stand him. I can agree with you on Turnbull, though. He'd make a great whipping boy while the party recovers from this, gets back its bad attitude, and blames ignorant Australia for making a great mistake all the while hovering like flies on shit for Rudd and Gillard to fuck it up so they can gloat.

... Actually, with all this said, are we really finally headed in the right direction? New Zealand just gets more attractive every day.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
New Zealand just gets more attractive every day.
I think everyone should flock there .

Angela