Australian Election - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #61
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Howard's publicly conceding defeat right now and it sounds like he's about to cry!

We won't miss you, Johnny.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Earlier tonight Joe Hockey was on Seven and he was falling apart too... we are so cruel

Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #63
Vocal parasite

Evidently, we U2 fans are a bunch of lefties. Nobody's shown up to defend our ex-Prime Minister. I suppose all the Liberal fans are on the verge of tears like their leader and can't handle the gloating of the rest of us.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

All the Libs have gone into hiding

Downer and Turnbull are refusing to talk to the media, mainly because of the leadership speculation

Looks like Rudd is coming out soon...
Old 11-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #65
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Acrobat Angel
Downer and Turnbull are refusing to talk to the media, mainly because of the leadership speculation

Good victory speech by Kevin. I've always enjoyed listening to him. I remember this time last year, my flatmate and I were desperately hoping Rudd would achieve the Labour leadership. We were thrilled when he did, and he hasn't disappointed since. In an ideal world, I'd take Bob Brown and the Greens in a heartbeat, but Rudd and Labour should be such an improvement on Howard & Co.'s misguided and pathetic path.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #66
Jesus Online

Well, it's been a year of firsts for me: first backing of the Melbourne Cup winner, and the first time my vote went to the party that won - though this time it was through the Greens and their preferences. I thought Bob Brown's speech earlier was great. I think the era of the Greens is upon us and it's about damn time. Both the Greens and Labor have party cohesion that we haven't seen for a very long time.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Definately Rudd has something about him. The victory speech was very good too. His campaign was always largely positive whereas Howard was stuck defending himself and bad-mouthing Labor... Let's just hope he lives up to our expectations!

wow, what a day

I'm going to sleep well tonight
Old 11-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #68
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I thought Bob Brown's speech earlier was great. I think the era of the Greens is upon us and it's about damn time.
Damn straight. Looks like the Greens may soon even enter the House of Reps. Check out the central Melbourne seat, with the Greens candidate outpolling the Liberal candidate to come second! They've also polled strongly in a number of other seats. I quite like my local Greens candidate, David Collis in Wills, and he did quite well despite Kelvin Thomson's dominance of this electorate. I hope he stands again.

I'm a bit disappointed to see that early polling that gave Richard Di Natale of the Greens a Victorian Senate seat has now changed as counting has progressed. I hope that once it's finished, Di Natale ends up as the Senator. Looks like they've got good chances at a seat from a couple of other states though, so I'm happy about that, and the 0.6% increase in the nationwide vote despite Labour's stunning success.

Also, it looks like Howard has likely lost Bennelong. If he does somehow scrape through on the postal votes, it will be by the narrowest of margins.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Mr Howard was very clever (in a diabolical way) to lay on what 'great shape the country is in' that he bequeaths to the new government. Bit of legacy-building, no? Bit of 'Labor always equals recessions', no?

That one needs nipping in the bud quick fast, as I would have thought that half the point of this whole year was that, while there may be plenty of 'prosperity' sloshing around, the country really is not in such great shape.

Agreed on the Greens, at least I would like to see them develop as a really proper significant third party so that nobody can say it's only a two-party state anymore. The day may come where Labor can only govern in a Green coalition, not unlike, well... the Coalition has historically done with the Nationals.

But I think that day is decades off. Just as the corpse of the Nationals seems to keep on twitching, the rise of the Greens is a very long term project. For right now, I value them mainly as a brake on major party Senate control.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:15 AM
I hope John Howard is going to be okay. I mean this sincerely. He's a bloke who's had the paparazzi following him on his morning jogs for years. He's been "famous" for so long to be dumped in such a huge way has the possibility to be unsettling.

Also the fact that he's sexist and has been tipped out by a woman probably won't help his mental health issues either.

I wish him well.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Evidently, we U2 fans are a bunch of lefties. Nobody's shown up to defend our ex-Prime Minister. I suppose all the Liberal fans are on the verge of tears like their leader and can't handle the gloating of the rest of us.
Sure they are, pity that Labor could only win by running Howard.

I am off to a heavily fortified compound with a cache of guns and drugs.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
I hope John Howard is going to be okay.
I think AU may be okay, now.

at least you got a fightin' chance.

Raise a glass.

and throw poor Howard on the dung heap.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is a glorious day, 11 years of immense frustration over. Australia is back on track.

Now we just gotta hope for a successful Gillard challenge to Rudd's leadership of the party, and we could have the perfect leader.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:15 PM

good on you, australia.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Costello isn't standing for leadership