Australian Election - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 06:44 PM
I'm actually thinking that Bob Debus might actually beat Kerry Barlett now, in my electorate. Mostly on sentimentality, because he's a former state labor member and the community knows him.

But they could also go with something tried and tested. I think it'll be close, but Debus might scrape through.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Has anybody here actually checked the material produced by the Citizens Electoral Council? I see they're running candidates in a good number of places, and yet I don't know how more than 5 or 6 people could be delusional enough to buy their insane crap. I frankly find them hysterical.

There's some interesting minor parties and independent candidates out there, though. I quite like the positions of one of the Victorian Senate candidates, Tejay Sener, and gave him a high preference when I voted. But all in all, go Greens!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
I want to vote for Ben Cousins. At least he's pretty.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Oh how I love the Chaser guys!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/...nisiteelection

Chijoff chased by Chasers in APEC mode
Saturday Nov 24 13:00 AEDT
By ninemsn staff and wires

Insult was added to injury for embattled Liberal candidate Karen Chijoff today when she was ambushed by Chaser stuntman Chas Licciardello over the bogus leaflets scandal.

Ms Chijoff was in a car leaving a polling station in the marginal seat of Lindsay when Licciardello — wearing the Osama bin Laden costume made famous when the Chaser breached APEC security in September — made his entrance.

He forced some of the infamous bogus pamphlets produced by Chijoff's husband Greg and outgoing MP Jackie Kelly's partner Greg Clark onto a horrified Greens campaigner before setting upon the Liberal candidate.

"Have some leaflets, Karen," Licciardello said through the car's passenger window to Chijoff.

"You guys have done such a great job handing out these leaflets you should finish the job."

Chijoff voiced an inaudible objection, but this only gave Licciardello more rope.

"You don't know where they came from? I know what you mean, I had nothing to do with them either!" he said as Chijoff's car started to move down the street.

"Come back, Karen — no one has understood the Bali bombers for years!"

The controversy over the racist leaflets has led to the resignation from the Liberal party of Chijoff's husband as well as the expulsion of three other unnamed party members.

Gary Clark, husband of retiring Liberal Lindsay MP Jackie Kelly, was caught by ALP campaign workers letterboxing the bogus letters along with Greg Chijoff and others.

The flyer claimed to be from a fictitious Islamic group, the Islamic Australia Foundation, and said it welcomed Labor's forgiveness of the Bali bombers.

It also welcomed the Labor party's support for a controversial new mosque in the suburb of St Marys.

The incident occurred as the Labor candidate David Bradbury said the pamphlet scandal engulfing the western Sydney electorate has not assured him of victory.

"There is definitely a lot of people wanting to talk about the pamphlet issue, it is something that has had some penetration as far as the media is concerned," he said last night, after another day campaigning in the electorate.

"But in terms of what impact it will have, it's difficult to know.

"It's not as if people are coming up to me saying that they will change their vote as a consequence of that."

Lindsay is held by the government by a 2.9 per cent margin..
Old 11-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #20
The Fly

I'm finding it interesting that there's an article about our dinky wee election on bloomberg.com

I don't remember it being such big news before, or did I miss something?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

When is it over please? The counting of the Eastern States votes has usually begun (and broadcast) before I've voted over here in the federal electorate of Moore (this time I'm in Moore, I move house a fair bit according to the electoral commission). This year I voted early as its important that I make it to the local Indian restaurant in time.

When will we have an inclining as to whos won? Or do I just go to the concert, come home, go to bed, and wake up to a dickhead in power.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

When will we have an inclining as to whos won? Or do I just go to the concert, come home, go to bed, and wake up to a dickhead in power.
Apparently we should know by 11pm Eastern Can't wait for it to be over!

I voted Labor. Our sitting Liberal member (seat of Paterson) has been campaigning desperately, from what i've seen i'd be suprised if he keeps his seat.

The thought of Costello leading Australia (that's if no-one challenges him for the leadership and why should he be PM without facing the public?). I'm over Howard. Being 18, he's the only PM I can really remember and i've had enough of him.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Counting starts as soon as the polls close in each timezone, and going on past experience, these federal elections don't ever seem to be that close actually - speaking purely in numbers of seats in each column.

Antony Green on the ABC is nearly always voicing a pretty definite assessment by not much after 7pm sometimes. So, that's not the official result but it's a damn good guide.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Also, I do hope shitloads of people preference Fundies First DEAD LAST. We don't need those wackos winning another Senate seat and possibly even achieving the balance of power. Considering their one Senator is from Victoria, I'm kind of worried about what this state will do. For goodness' sakes, people, before voting above the line, check out the party's preference flows and make sure it doesn't go straight to idiots! I haven't checked all parties in all states, but I was surprised how bad the Democrats preference flow tickets were in VIC and QLD. When I showed them to a couple of friends wavering between Greens and Democrats in the "which minor but potentially seat-winning party shall I vote for?" stakes, they instantly discarded the Democrats and went Green. Even though I doubt that's happening much nationwide, the Democrats are still a dead political force anyway. Don Chipp's probably turning in his grave.

They made it easy for once here. After Chijoff's name on their ballot propaganda, they suggested the Christian Democrat candidate (Andrew Green, I think it was here) to be #2. That cut out 2 names: Chijoff - 7 and Fundie - #8.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 AM   #25
Jesus Online

*Paul Green, sorry, according to his frightening website. Good fucking god. I'm glad I'm not a Christian.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

^^ inkling not inclining.

Quote:

THE results of a major exit poll of voters in today's federal election has predicted Kevin Rudd will be the next prime minister of Australia and that John Howard will lose his seat of Bennelong.

The Sky News exit poll taken in 31 key seats predicts a two-party preferred result of 53 per cent to Labor to 47 per cen to the Coalition.

The poll predicts Mr Howard's seat of Bennelong will fall to Labor, with celebrity candidate Maxine McKew tipped to get 53 per cent of the two-party preferred vote.
channel nine

Dunno about Howard losing his seat. That would be unusual, yes?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #27
Jesus Online

No, it IS Andrew Green. I can't tell one fundie from another. Pity his section on the 'muslim flyer' isn't working.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #28
Jesus Online

I'd laugh to see Howard retain Benelong but lose the election. How'd that be for a demotion?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Paul Green is a Christian fundie. Hes the one that looks like a sterilised 007.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:28 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I was thinking Howard losing Benalong but Liberal winning the election would be amusing

But you are right, it works either way.