Australia Recieves Specific Terror Threat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Courtesy of our left-leaning bleeding hearts as ninemsn.com.au:

Attack being planned in Australia: PM
Wednesday Nov 2 13:30 AEST

Australian intelligence authorities have received specific information about a terrorist threat in Australia, Prime Minister John Howard says.

Mr Howard refused to give details of the threat, saying the Australian public would never forgive him if he wrecked any police operation to stop it.

Australia's general terrorism threat level will remain unchanged, despite the information.

True story or convinient announcement given the government's wish to ram through anti-terror laws this week?

Personally, I think (and hope) this is the government playing a card to run through it's legistlation and not the real deal. Unlike America, Australia has been quiet conservitive in its use of the "terror alert" and announcements of this type - so I will almost gurantee that this will resonate pretty well with the public and we won't see much desent from Labor etc.

I think that it is either the nature of government or an unfortunate time for such an event. Maximise liberty to defeat terror, starting with more freedom to speak out against Islamists in VIC.

timothius said:

Personally, I think (and hope) this is the government playing a card to run through it's legistlation and not the real deal.

Why do you hope that? I mean, of course I hope it's not 'real' and that nothing happens, but I'd also sincerely hope the Australian Govt doesn't start this up similar to the US. I don't think Howard is above it, but as yet I don't think it's been done and honestly, it's a fucking repulsive thing to do.

Re: Re: Australia Recieves Specific Terror Threat

Earnie Shavers said:

Why do you hope that? I mean, of course I hope it's not 'real' and that nothing happens, but I'd also sincerely hope the Australian Govt doesn't start this up similar to the US. I don't think Howard is above it, but as yet I don't think it's been done and honestly, it's a fucking repulsive thing to do.

Sorry I should have clarified. I hope that there isn't a specific terror threat in Australia - and based on his announcement this is the only way this could happen. Like you I don't think Howard is above it, and my first thought was "Wow, they really are desperate to get this legislation through aren't they". I just think it is all a bit convinient...

This total control thing the Libs have at the moment worries me greatly. At first I thought they would handle it well, but driving to work this morning and listening to parliment you hear Abbot moving (and passing) gagging motions of Labor MP's at 9:02... you know things are heading in the shit.

If I don't believe the government at face value anymore (and I don't), they have only themselves to blame.

Time will tell. Or not, since we'll never get any straight answers. I'm a bad person!

It's too strong a coincidence. Heads of state won't sign off and then ta-dah - there’s a problem - laws need to be changed right NOW, today...If you stop the government from changing the laws you will be outed as the state leader who stood in the way of a safer Australia?

It's a shame we have had to come to the point where we question our government and situations like this.

Politics and the like throughout history just seem to ooze conspiracy, cover up's and lies :madspit:

No...he looks to uuuuuugly to be Daniel Vittori (if it is...he's let himself go! :p)

I also believe its quite a "coincidence" that this REALOMG!111!!!!SCARY!!!!11 terrorist threat has come up the day the government have pushed through this anti terrorism bill....i do believe i read somehwere one part of it is if they suspect somoene of terrorist activities they can lock you up for 14 days without actually charging you with anything....i hope that is noth the case...

right now (even though never been fan of howard...or STUPID LABOUR!) am getting scared about all sort of things going on...have you read about the new work relations shit....that shit is SCARY!!!!

*shakes head*
God damn governments....

Australian leader puts nation on terror alert

By Raymond Bonner The New York Times
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2005

SYDNEY On the eve of his planned introduction of legislation that gives the police and intelligence agencies broad powers to detain and monitor suspected terrorists, Prime Minister John Howard of Australia went on television Wednesday to warn of a potential terrorist attack.

"The government has received specific intelligence and police information this week which gives cause for serious concern about a potential terrorist threat," he said.

Howard gave no details, and the government did not raise the threat level. It now stands at "medium," the second-lowest of four levels. "Medium" means an attack "could occur."

Raising the sense of alarm, Howard called on the Australian Parliament to pass minor amendments to the existing counterterrorism laws, even before taking up the full antiterrorism bill. The House of Representatives approved the changes within a few hours, and the Senate is expected to pass them during a special session Thursday.

A senior Australian official said that there was no hard intelligence of an impending attack, and that Howard and his security advisors were acting out of excessive caution. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was talking about intelligence and was expressing views somewhat at odds with the government's official line.

The broader antiterrorism bill, which even some political backers have described as draconian, contains the most sweeping changes to the country's security apparatus since World War II, when the Japanese air force dropped more bombs on the Australian city of Darwin than it had on Pearl Harbor.

The proposed legislation would allow the police to put people into preventative detention for up to 14 days, during which time they would not be allowed to communicate with their families except to say that they were fine.

The bill would also make it a crime for the family member who was contacted, for example, a father, to tell anyone else about the conversation, even the mother. It would also require a suspect to wear an electronic tracking device for as long as a year.

I say
Howard is FULL of CRAP.

Antilarry said:
If I don't believe the government at face value anymore (and I don't), they have only themselves to blame.

Time will tell. Or not, since we'll never get any straight answers. I'm a bad person!

Tsk, tsk. As Johnny said himself, you must Trust Him. His past and record speaks for itself!

.......:tumbleweed:.........

Um. Yeah. I'm wondering how long it is going to take for one of his colleagues to call for immediate stress leave for him or to at least insist he has a psychological checkup. The man has gone insane. No one seems to have noticed in his own party. Or the ALP, for that matter.

Angela Harlem said:

Um. Yeah. I'm wondering how long it is going to take for one of his colleagues to call for immediate stress leave for him or to at least insist he has a psychological checkup. The man has gone insane. No one seems to have noticed in his own party. Or the ALP, for that matter.

I disagree.

I think Costello and co are waiting for the perfect oppourunity to take over, and he is not a man to do things by halves. When/if Costello does make the challange - it will be for real, he will have the numbers and he will win.

All he needs is either Abbot or Howard to make a monumental error. And going on the past 3 weeks or so I think that there could be one just around the corner.

2 hours, 39 minutes ago

Australian authorities foiled what they believed to be a large-scale terrorist attack, arresting 15 people during raids in the country's two biggest cities of Sydney and Melbourne, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported on Tuesday.

"I am satisfied that we have disrupted what I would regard as the final stages of a large-scale terrorist attack, or the launch of a large-scale terrorist attack here in Australia," New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney told ABC radio.

Howard must be smacking his lips right now. Not because of the lack or thwarted threat, but because now he can smugly wank on some more about this having nothing to do with his fucked up new laws.

And Ken Moroney is a dick. "It might have been the first stages of...or maybe the final? I cant quite tell. No one knows. But it was some stage! Yeah..."

A_Wanderer said:
I think that it is either the nature of government or an unfortunate time for such an event. Maximise liberty to defeat terror, starting with more freedom to speak out against Islamists in VIC.
So how old do you have to be to run for office in Australia? They could certainly use you in power.

I don't have much interest in the Australian political scene, if I did I would probably be involved with it through a uni club or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom