Australia May Ban Smoking in Cars... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Australia May Ban Smoking in Cars...

But no worries mates...as long as you do not stay in
your closed garage with your car running for five or ten minutes.

*all of this big gov stuff will someday crush all freedom*

I'm not a happy camper.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Re: Australia May Ban Smoking in Cars...

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

*all of this big gov stuff will someday crush all freedom*

I'm not a happy camper.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:15 AM
It's NSW and the government should just FOAD.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Just ban smoking outright and get it over and done with.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-01-2006, 03:10 AM   #5
Refugee

As a non-smoker I welcome these changes if they were to come in! There really is nothing worse than driving along and seeing parents filling up their kids lungs with this stuff (i have even noticed that some don't even have the windows down!)
Old 03-01-2006, 05:04 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
As a non-smoker I welcome these changes if they were to come in! There really is nothing worse than driving along and seeing parents filling up their kids lungs with this stuff (i have even noticed that some don't even have the windows down!)
Not everybody has kids and people should have the right to decide what to put into their bodies.

Don't ban cigarettes, legalise hard drugs

I am not joking, regulated supplies will reduce transmissible diseases from needle sharing and ensure standard dosages.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Don't ban cigarettes, legalise hard drugs

I am not joking, regulated supplies will reduce transmissible diseases from needle sharing and ensure standard dosages.
Yeh I'm pretty sure no matter what happens, that the bad will always far outweigh the good of this proposal.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm in favour of laying off smoking as an all-purpose social evil, as while it is undoubtedly bad for you, some of us like to do it anyway. I guess I suspect that if general cigarette smoke in the air is that harmful for you that it must be eliminated totally, so are traffic exhaust fumes.

Yeah, I smoke. No problem with not smoking in restaurants and whatnot, that's common courtesy I suppose. Beyond that I become very cynical very quickly.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 PM
I'm not Australian but this law strikes me as being very repressive. You won't be allowed to smoke in your own car??!! Damn.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm not Australian but this law strikes me as being very repressive. You won't be allowed to smoke in your own car??!! Damn.
I agree - I think what you do in your car, house, etc. should be your own business. I can see, however, banning it in public areas - which is what most states are moving toward here
Old 03-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
I certainly agree that kids should not have to be exposed to this.

The fact remains, however, that if somebody chooses to smoke in their own vehicle, it is absolutely none of your business. Or mine. Or anyone else's, other than the individual concerned.

That's nothing more than basic common sense, to me.

I have no problem with smoking in enclosed public spaces being banned, but anything other than that strikes me as ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles

I agree - I think what you do in your car, house, etc. should be your own business.
What if I want to rape or murder someone in the privacy of my own car or house? It's my own business?

In other words, at what point does it become illegal to do something in private as well as in public? If you're going to say at the point where it infringes upon someone else (i.e. rape or murder), then it'd be wise to consider that smoking could affect other people who live in the house (personally, a smoky environment gives me asthma).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:15 PM
That’s an extremely poor analogy.

Most people that I know who happen to smoke including myself are decidedly courteous when it comes to the health of others, in fact they refrain from smoking in their friends company if they so request.

In my opinion this ban would be amazingly repressive and smoking is not in anyway comparable to rape or any other odious crime.

So judging by your logic Axver should we not ban cars altogether to account for your asthma?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78

I certainly agree that kids should not have to be exposed to this.

The fact remains, however, that if somebody chooses to smoke in their own vehicle, it is absolutely none of your business. Or mine. Or anyone else's, other than the individual concerned.

That's nothing more than basic common sense, to me.

I have no problem with smoking in enclosed public spaces being banned, but anything other than that strikes me as ridiculous.
Thats the problem, some people DO lack common sense!
For the record, i personally don't think the law will be passed. However,it should be continued as a federal initiative to show the effects of smoking around kids, the Australian govt did run a campaign not so long ago! the problem is parents did not take any notice, because of that very attitude "no-one tells me what i can,can't do in my own house,car,kids,whatever!"
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Do you have a national health care system in Australia? It's time to either ban smoking or start denying any goverment money for health care of people who smoke.

I know we don't have a national health care system here in the U.S., but it still annoys me to think that my tax dollars are going to cover someone's medical bills(people who don't have insurance)--when the causes of those bills are 100 percent preventable.