Australia and racism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Like indra said--or laughed

Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

FOX news is the ONLY unbiased news channel on the air.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:39 PM
please
this person has difficulties

can not even say C N N
Old 12-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 08:39 PM
I wish I could renounce my Australian citizenship. I'm ashamed to be Australian. If I didn't 'need' it for my HECS, I'd take out my citizenship, shit on it, burn it then piss on the ashes. Any country with a political leader who doesn't know how to say Sorry, address the issues of racism and suck George Bush's balls should be shot.

Having a bad day.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungU2aus
I wish I could renounce my Australian citizenship. I'm ashamed to be Australian. If I didn't 'need' it for my HECS, I'd take out my citizenship, shit on it, burn it then piss on the ashes. Any country with a political leader who doesn't know how to say Sorry, address the issues of racism and suck George Bush's balls should be shot.

Having a bad day.
What they said.

Australians as a whole aren't as racist as what these riots suggest, but they are a lot more racist than what they think.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
How do you shoot a country?

With logic like that it's like walking through a compulsory collectivism rally.

I cannot speak for others but I went to a school that had a lot of Chinese (1st generation and exchange students), Greeks (2nd + 3rd Generation) and a few Turks, Iranians, Indians and Pakistanis. Pretty much all middle class with the same general backgrounds and it worked just fine. In addition the whole syllabus was entrenched with the so-called "black armband" view of Australian history, eh it gave me a piss easy positions to be in the contrarian position in debates.

Decrying Australian Racism is always coming from the same damn sources who have been bitching for years - only now they have an example that is less than 60 years old.

Racism between mates = alright because its all in good fun.
Racism against strangers = not alright

Its my rule and im sticking too it
Old 12-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
For once I am going to sort of agree with AW. Well, not agree exactly, but can I just say here and now that while we have our problems by the plenty, Sydney is one small part of this country. Sydney is Australia in the same way that New York is America... ie. not really that much.

The term Australia is an insult to us Melburnians, as it means we are classified under the same banner as Sydneysiders, which is a nasty thought because we are nothing like each other...
Old 12-19-2005, 06:35 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I'll say, elitist snobs is what Melbournians are, and they say things like bathers instead of swimmers, what the hell?

And the weather is totally schitzo and you have to drive two hours to get to a decent beach.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I'll say, elitist snobs is what Melbournians are, and they say things like bathers instead of swimmers, what the hell?

And the weather is totally schitzo and you have to drive two hours to get to a decent beach.
If you don't like it, leave. No one is forcing you to be here. Go to Sydney with all their b-grade sporting events and ridiculously expensive shops.

And the beach is only a mere 5 minute walk for many people, and what gorgeous natural beaches they are.

The elitist snobs, my friend, only reside in the inner-eastern suburbs, close to all the Pr(ar)vate schools...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Racism between mates = alright because its all in good fun.
Racism against strangers = not alright
They aren't mutually exclusive and they flow into one another. Part of the reason why this blew up was because this was an issue that many people in the area (city, state and country) had been racist "in good fun" about between mates for years, but when push comes to shove years of harmless fun turned into somthing they were acutally willing to stand up for (in a rather inebriated state I might add).

I'm of the belief if you practice racisim (or sexisim or homophobia for that matter) "in good fun" for long enough, before you know it, it will translate to an actual belief. And that is where I see the problem sitting at the momement for a lot of Australians...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh please, when were driving round to a mates place the one complaining about the "bloody asian drivers" is the Chinese bloke, and we can joke around a bit over it as well because there is no ill intent,. Same goes for my Greek, Croat and Indian mates - we can all give eachother shit but it's in jest between friends, there is no ill-intent - that is functional multiculturalism. Thats different than a group of white guys and a group of Lebanese or Viet blokes hanging out getting ready for trouble, the underlying attitudes are entirely different.

Is greeting a mate with an enthused "You [euphimism for ethnic group] Bastard" really that bad? Or making fun of the hardcore wog attitudes? It's all fine between mates, it is not a monoethnic group attacking others so I don't see the issue.

And sexism and homophobia, comeon - attitudes are attitudes, I think that there is a certain threshold for these things that is altered when a group of men get together, it's not a good thing, but it's definitely a social phenomena.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And the beach is only a mere 5 minute walk for many people, and what gorgeous natural beaches they are.
Anything in that bay is

Now open water, big waves and long sandy shores - thats a beach.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Oh please, when were driving round to a mates place the one complaining about the "bloody asian drivers" is the Chinese bloke, and we can joke around a bit over it as well because there is no ill intent,. Same goes for my Greek, Croat and Indian mates - we can all give eachother shit but it's in jest between friends, there is no ill-intent - that is functional multiculturalism. Thats different than a group of white guys and a group of Lebanese or Viet blokes hanging out getting ready for trouble, the underlying attitudes are entirely different.
I misinterpreted what you meant by between mates. I thought you meant making actual racist comments privately between friends rather than merely joking around with stereotypes directed at an mate.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Go to Sydney with all their b-grade sporting events and ridiculously expensive shops.
Beaches? Melbourne??? Okay, okay, so you have a car race we've never wanted, and discount shops. That's excellent.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/0...alia.bestcity/

Let's all just be thankful we don't live in Brisbane.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Sexism and homophobia though, that definitely raises a decent point, there is a different thresholds in different company.