Aussies, drugs, S.E Asia - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2005, 01:45 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Aussies, drugs, S.E Asia

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E401,00.html

I'm remaining hopeful the judges don't override the prosecutions request for life and give her the death penalty, but I think this is more because I am pretty convinced she is innocent. This case has bothered me right from the start, and quite frankly makes me sick. The last paragraph in this article makes me wonder if the agreement was made after Barlow and Chambers who, if I remember rightly, were confirmed guilty?

And does anyone have a clue as to why the Federal police didn't arrest the Bali 9 at the airport before they left? I've had trouble catching any decent news stories in this lately so I hope someone can fill me in. I'm trying to google news about it now, but am not having much luck.

My point is, I guess, where does guilt start and end. From what I have seen, it cannot be proven likewise for Schapelle, that she was aware of the pot being in her bag any more than she can prove she had no idea. Their judicial system seems to be based on the 'prove your innocence' side, but when that is impossible due to the nature of how this occurred, how can she then be deemed guilty? It doesn't prove she must have known, just because she cannot prove it. And the 9, they were at least mules, but traffickers? Many people can end up in a situation they wouldn't normally be in when under threat, or family is threatened. It doesn't make someone a criminal does it? It makes them coerced into criminal activity, and then weighted by the fact that these fellows are facing a firing squad, it just doesn't seem enough to me.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:02 AM
I'm sick to death with how messed up the nation of Indonesia is.

Schapelle's life is on the line cause of their crap bloodthirsty heartless legal system, all for the seemingly innocent offence of possessing pot. Was she even plannin to deal it?

Such a harmless and sexy girl is gonna be murdered for doing nothing.

People should just boycott the hellhole that is Indonesia, even though the shambolic condition of the country is just typical of a nation that puts religion ahead of any effort to achieve social harmony and political reform.

The country needs to take a long hard look at themselves, and until they do that and take some radical action, I'm not gonna have anything to do with the place.

I'm ashamed that they are one of Australia's closest neighbours.

What a messed up country....

Old 05-01-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
Jesus Online

Thank you
Old 05-01-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:02 PM
this doesn't make news on my side of the world, but i wish it did because it's interesting ... what's your sense -- do you think the Indonesian government would come down harder on an Australian or westerner?

i also can't believe anyone puts pot and heroin in the same category.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

A lot of countries do, pretty much zero tollerance ~ there are benefits to such a system and I cannot find any sympathy for the likes of the 'Bali 9'.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this doesn't make news on my side of the world, but i wish it did because it's interesting ... what's your sense -- do you think the Indonesian government would come down harder on an Australian or westerner?

i also can't believe anyone puts pot and heroin in the same category.
If a trafficking law can result in a death sentence, do you think that these 2 cases are the same? Given the behaviour of the feds here, I dont see any reason why the Bali 9 canot face charges here for attempting to export drugs. Call me biased, but at least their trial would be fair.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
i agree with schappelle corby being innocent, there just seems to be so much evidence in her NOT doing it, then them proving she HAS done it you know?

but for the Bali 9 (well for the 4 that were arrested with the herorin strapped to the bodies) they deserve the punishment for being guilty. I am against the death penalty, but luckily i dont live in Indonesia and have to deal with it.

Case in point, they went to indonesia to do something illigial, who cares if they didn't know it was drugs or not, you have to be pretty stupid not to get suspicious if a friend says 'if you go to bali with me we can make 15,000 dollars each! but i dont know how...)
and the fact that their families were threatened, well they shouldnt have gone in the first place and if they are sentanced to die, they should die.

But for the 5 that were not found at the airport, they shouldn't be sentanced to death, because they wern't technically trafficing drugs.

I just hate how they are trying to lump schapelle corby in with the bali 9. Its stupid as they are soooo not related!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:02 PM
I lived in Indonesia for 13 of the best years of my life, so please lay off calling it a "hell-hole". It is a country with its faults and problems like any other but also with amazing beauty and wonderful people many of whom are my close friends.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I'm sick to death with how messed up the nation of Indonesia is.

Schapelle's life is on the line cause of their crap bloodthirsty heartless legal system, all for the seemingly innocent offence of possessing pot. Was she even plannin to deal it?

Such a harmless and sexy girl is gonna be murdered for doing nothing.

People should just boycott the hellhole that is Indonesia, even though the shambolic condition of the country is just typical of a nation that puts religion ahead of any effort to achieve social harmony and political reform.
True. Corruption is also high on the list of priorities. Been there many times, it is indeed a hellhole.

However, I can't remember about Indonesia, but I still go to Philippines a lot, it's pretty clear on the incoming paperwork, "The penalty for drug traffickin is death" - Or words to that effect. I believe Indonesia was similar.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Yes, it's posted everywhere in airports there (the death sentence threat). Indonesia is a great place, it's laws are pretty backward though, and I think it is a case of 'prove your innocence' as opposed to 'prove their guilt'/

On Corby - I really do think she's completely innocent. I sincerely hope she gets off, but I doubt it. I don't see how she can get out of it either, except with severe intevention from the govt here, and I can't see that happening.

On the 'Bali 9' - I agree that, no matter what threats or whatever they claim got them there, they still made a decision, one where they clearly knew the risks involved, and therefore will and should face the consequences.

Having said that, I'm firmly against the death penalty, and hope that if it is handed down that the Australian Govt does everything possible to reverse it, and if Johnny doesn't have the balls to do that, I hope the Australian people rally to make him.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

He should rasise the issue but he has no right to demand anything, it is that pretentious behaviour where Australian leaders force the hand of the Indonesians that can create problems.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:02 PM
I don't think it would be about 'demanding' anything. Just a deal in some degree, or a pleading for an understanding. Howard is pretty keen on the new Indo President, and vice versa, and there is now a genuine good chance that the relationship can get a whole lot better (or at least stable). A big part of that is the respective populations opinions of each others nations. I guess you could say that if Indonesia takes 9 young Australians out the back and shoots them, their 'approval rating' dives. I think the Australian public is (correctly) disgusted by the actions of these guys, but if they get the death penalty, that will turn quickly and it will turn against Howard, and Indonesia as a whole.
At any one point in time I imagine there are a million 'deals' on the table between Australia and Indonesia, and both leaders are keen to scratch each others backs at every opportunity. I'm sure just a little, private squeeze in the right area could get them into jail for life, but keep them alive. No demands, and never has to be even sensed by the public. And I mean, it's Indonesia. When it comes to the law, a deal can always be made.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Australians are Westerners.

I think Indonesians do come down harder on Australians because we do have a bit of a not entirely friendly relationship with Indonesia.

Also Bali is also full of Australians. If a Westerner was to get done in Bali, the odds are very much that it would be an Australian.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #14
Vocal parasite

Though, really, would you WANT to be in an Indonesian jail for life?

I think I'd take the death sentence.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Amrosi seems to be having a bloody swinging time as seen on the ACA interview with him and the dumbfuck who runs that shithole jail

Sula, I doubt anyone means any ill sentiment toward the people of Indoneasia, but more the corruption and so on of the higher powers.

Dazzlingamy, I'm not sure how much of the Indo legal system you understand, but even all of the 9 aren't all traffickers and certainly don't deserve a firing squad for such. Your blase attitude is admirable.