Aussies, drugs, S.E Asia - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:15 PM
I think it wasn't colour but nationality. She got a far lesser sentence because of the diplomatic dance between Australia and Indonesia. The charges there are simple -
Trafficking - Death
Carrying - Life
Possession - Up to 20.

That amount of the stuff, coming into the country, if she were a local that would be trafficking and good night. The prosecution were going for Carrying & Life. She got the harshest possession penalty, but this wasn't getting caught having a quiet locally bought joint on her hotel balcony, it was 4kg's being brought into the country. She's incredibly lucky that there are sensitivities between the two countries, and she had a leanient judge. These things certainly didn't work against her.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
I think it wasn't colour but nationality. She got a far lesser sentence because of the diplomatic dance between Australia and Indonesia. The charges there are simple -
Trafficking - Death
Carrying - Life
Possession - Up to 20.
Ok, fair enough. It's still not right though.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
3) The silly cow deserves what she has coming, if guilty (which she is).
Yeah, you're right. Hang the bitch, she has it coming. Hey, she made a mistake, but mistakes should be punished by death, right?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #49
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Where is the goddamn proof that she was the one intending to smuggle this pot in? THAT is my gripe. If the Indo judge believed beyond doubt that it was her, she'd be waiting for the firing squad just like the 9 are.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #50
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Yeah, you're right. Hang the bitch, she has it coming. Hey, she made a mistake, but mistakes should be punished by death, right?
No, she should go to jail for 20 years like the sentence dictates.

Why would I wish the death sentence on someone who has already been put in jail for 20 years?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
The general attitude given towards Indonesia demonstrates that we are the white racist imperialistic people that the Abu Bakr Bashir's in Indonesia paint us out to be, demanding that we be immune from their laws and punishment, that we should be outside their reach.

The most disgusting feature, people talking and often ringing up aid agencies and asking about pulling money from Tsunami relief does a lot of damage.

She was given a fair trial, her defence team was unable to demonstrate that the drugs were planet and speculated without giving evidence. She was sentenced in accordance to Indonesian law and now has right of appeal.

Just end this ridiculous media inspired "Dianification" of the situation, it does more harm than good.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #52
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The general attitude given towards Indonesia demonstrates that we are the white racist imperialistic people that the Abu Bakr Bashir's in Indonesia paint us out to be, demanding that we be immune from their laws and punishment, that we should be outside their reach.

The most disgusting feature, people talking and often ringing up aid agencies and asking about pulling money from Tsunami relief does a lot of damage.

She was given a fair trial, her defence team was unable to demonstrate that the drugs were planet and speculated without giving evidence. She was sentenced in accordance to Indonesian law and now has right of appeal.

Just end this ridiculous media inspired "Dianification" of the situation, it does more harm than good.
Well done!

Eloquently put and sums up why all these pro-corby nuts are hysterical.

The girl could well be innocent, but at the end of the day she's guilty.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #53
Jesus Online

There's many disgusting things about it all, yes. This talk of boycotting for a start. This bullshit about aid being returned. A 20 year sentence when all their laws required was proof of ownership of the vessel which carried the drug (her bodyboard bag) but noit the drug itself. 4.5 days per victim for Abu Bakir Bashir. The claims that it is racist sentiment which has angered Australia so much. The actual racist sentiments which are now simmering by some over here.

Yes, the list of disgusting things is terribly long. Infact, the whole thing is absolutely disgusting.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #54
Refugee

But justice has been served.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #55
Jesus Online

How, exactly?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Where is the goddamn proof that she was the one intending to smuggle this pot in? THAT is my gripe. If the Indo judge believed beyond doubt that it was her, she'd be waiting for the firing squad just like the 9 are.
And how would that be different to 99% of drug busts around the globe. "Officer, it's not mine, I swear!"

In most cases there is no conclusive evidence that it is in fact theirs and that they did in fact 'put it there', but no-one thinks twice when they are charged with possession. The difference with the other 9 is a) it was a far, far, far larger amount b) it was heroin c) There is no doubt that it was trafficking, which is different to carrying or possession. And as it is I expect they'll in the end get life, not the shooting squad, because like Corby they'll have the benefit of a huge media storm and diplomatic sensitivites behind them. An Indonesian in Corby's place would be shot, and an Indonesian in the 'Bali 9' case would be shot too, just quicker.

Despite the 'A Current Affair/Daily Telegraph' mass hysteria over this, the exact same scenario would have played out in virtually any country she tried to take 4kgs of pot into. The difference is severity. As a foreigner going into the US she would have been charged with anything ranging from possession to minor trafficking, just as in Indonesia. The difference is that that amount and that drug carry a different clarification in the US, and she'd probably just be hit with a big fine and deported back to Australia, never to return. If she were an American citizen heading back into the US, she'd do the full trial, get slapped again with anything from possession to trafficking, and get anything from a fine and community service to a suspended sentence, and if she had a dodgy record that could go up to small jail time. But either way, there's no escaping the charge.

The conclusion that she was in possession is not at all an unusual or unique one, despite there being no evidence that she herself put it in that bag and was knowingly carrying it. The ONLY difference is the harsh Indonesian laws.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I never said whites were a "superior race".

As Beli pointed out, it probably has more to do with a history between Australia and Indonesia and if so, it is equally unacceptable if Ms Chapelle was discriminated against on the basis of her nationality as if she was discriminated against on the basis of her skin colour.

If a black person was discriminated against in a white country, for example, that would be equally unacceptable but frankly I will not keep my mouth shut for the sake of political correctness if I see something similar happening in an Asian or African country.

However, I think it is naive to think that there is no such thing as discrimination against whites in some countries - events in Zimbabwe in recent years being a case in point.

It might not be "PC" to point it out, but I've never been much of a PC advocate.
financeguy,

I wasn't even referring to Ms Chapelle being so-called discriminated against because she is white. As Tyler, I mean Earnie, explained and with which you concurred, she was in fact given a lighter sentence than usual.

The fact is that several Indonesians, Malaysians, Thais etc are hung due to drug trafficking offenses, but no one's batting an eyelid in these instances. In light of this, your comment "if this is how they welcome white people..." sounds incredibly racist for - I hope - obvious reasons. And besides, what sort of "welcome" did the Australians give to the Afghan refugees? Shall I now say that I will never visit Australia again, on these grounds?

foray
Old 06-02-2005, 12:46 AM   #58
Jesus Online

foray you'd be perfectly entitled to be angered at our treatment of any refugee. Refusing to visit on those grounds would end up being as ridiculous as all the Australians now saying this is what they will do with Bali. However, we're not above reproach. As an aside, it is nothing short of fucking appalling how we treat refugees here. It is in that vein, that I dont really think Indonesian law is above reproach either. Tyler, you summed it up well in the end (after merely stating what almost everyone is already aware of, no offence, but I'm not really too stupid and am aware of all that already) with "The conclusion that she was in possession is not at all an unusual or unique one, despite there being no evidence that she herself put it in that bag and was knowingly carrying it. The ONLY difference is the harsh Indonesian laws."
Old 06-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:15 AM
I was only offended by that one glaring statement of financeguy's, Ang, not your own anger with Indonesia's handling of the matter. In that regard, I completely empathise with you. Of course it is preposterous that the Bali bomber was granted 2 1/2 years in comparison with Schapelle's case. I am with you on that totally.

foray
Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Actually the Bali Bombers were mostly sentenced to death (with appeals on the basis of retroactive anti-terror laws). The alleged leader of JI was given a very short term. I see no double standard, it was about arguing specific cases, Bashir obviously had a better laywers and knew how to work the system.