Aung San Suu Kyi arrested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is unfortunate. I was so happy when they let her go. Just give dictators half an excuse to bust human rights activists and they'll do it. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

Up to 70 died in swoop on Suu Kyi, claim supporters
By Daniel Lovering, AP, in Bangkok
06 June 2003

A clash in Burma involving followers of the detained pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi appeared to have been planned by supporters of the military government, an American embassy official said yesterday. A UN envoy is expected to arrive today to demand her release.

Ms Suu Kyi was taken into "protective custody" last week by the authorities after the violence, which military authorities said left four people dead and 50 injured.

But the US embassy official in Burma said on condition of anonymity that far more people might have died than the military junta reported, corroborating claims by dissident groups abroad, which allege that government forces staged an ambush and that at least 70 people were killed in two days.

The American official said in a telephone interview that two members of the embassy visited the scene on Friday last week and found signs of "great violence," including bloody clothing, many home-made weapons and smashed headlights and mirrors.

The weapons were "clearly prepared before the event and we think this is evidence of premeditation. They were not just limbs torn off a tree," the official said.

Burma's junta said the fighting began when Ms Suu Kyi's motorcade drove through a crowd of thousands of government supporters protesting against her visit.

In neighbouring Thailand, exiled opposition groups claimed Ms Suu Kyi, a Nobel peace prize laureate, was hurt in the violence, perhaps suffering severe head injuries. But the junta insists that Ms Suu Kyi and colleagues detained with her are fine, although it is refusing to divulge where they are being held. The government has been under pressure to provide information on Ms Suu Kyi by today, when Razali Ismail, a UN special envoy, said he would visit.

Mr Razali, a Malaysian, said from Kuala Lumpur that he expected to meet Burma's military leader, General Than Shwe, to push for Ms Suu Kyi's freedom. "Suu Kyi must be released," he said.

Senior UN officials had asked him to proceed with the visit even though the junta had refused to give assurances that he would be allowed to meet her. A UN official in Rangoon said on condition of anonymity: "If Razali is not allowed to see her, that will only strengthen rumours of Suu Kyi being hurt."

In late 2000, Mr Razali brokered reconciliation talks between the government and Ms Suu Kyi, whose party, the National League for Democracy, won the 1990 general elections but was blocked from taking power by the military. The talks had provided hope that the political impasse could be cleared, but the dialogue reached a standstill last year.

On the eve of Mr Razali's visit, universities ordered to be shut on Sunday were partly reopened, allowing some postgraduate students to return to classes. Students have been at the forefront of pro-democracy activism in Burma.

Tight media controls and the remote location of the clash made it hard to confirm what happened in last week's violence. Phone lines to the area appear to have been cut.

The offices of Ms Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy have been closed across the country. Even some of Burma's Asian neighbours, which usually steer clear of criticising the regime, have expressed dismay at the political violence.

I received this newsletter from the NLD:

Dear friends of freedom in Burma,

Below please find the latest on the situation in Burma. It is much much worse than we originally thought. Now, more than ever, we need all of your support. Today Senator McConnell and Congressman Lantos introduced major legislation on Burma.

Please do everything in your power to help. Get your members of
Congress on board, send checks or make donations online, and call and tell your friends. It's time to do our part. Working together, we can.

Jeremy

============================
Excerpts from Democratic Voice of Burma, June 4, 2003

1. According to the sources closed to the military, Northwestern
military command informed to the department of prisons that 32 criminal prisoners, who were taken by the northwestern military command on May 25 for military operation, died during their assignment. DVB assumed that these criminal prisoners were used to attack Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her entourage on May 30, 2003 with the promise of cash rewards and freedom, by the military. DVB also assumed that they were killed by the
military to cover up the whole incident.

2. Thein Oo and Soe Win, both are officer in-charge of the NLD
headquarter, were arrested yesterday night, by the military.

3. NLD's Moe Goat township committee members were arrested yesterday.

4. U Saw Khin, MP elect from Myin Gyan township and who accompanied with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, was seriously injured during the attack. He is in Mon Ywar hospital, but not allowed to meet with anyone.

5. U Tin Aung, MP elect from North-Western Mandalay and who accompanied with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, was assumed to be dead. His family conducted the funeral yesterday.

6. The regime continues to arrest members of the NLD nationwide. Many people are in hiding.

Suu Kyi 'injured in violent protests'

==============================================
==========================================
Excerpt from report by Democratic Voice of Burma,on June 2, 2003

Members of the National League for Democracy [NLD] inside the country and opposition groups abroad said today that the situation regarding the Friday night [30 May] attack on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her entourage was far more serious than the SPDC [State Peace and Development Council] officially acknowledged and that it is likely that hundreds of people died. A person who has carefully investigated the incident told DVB
[Democratic Voice of Burma] that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi herself suffered a head injury and that scores of people appear to have died. Following is what this source said:

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her entourage left Monywa for Budalin in a convoy of 10 cars at about noon last Friday [30 May]. The convoy included one car from Budalin, one car from Sagaing, six cars from Mandalay, and two from the NLD Headquarters in Rangoon and the entourage included over 100 NLD members. The monks from Monywa, who were unable to rent a car to join Daw Aung Suu Kyi, left in a car from Budalin. A number of people from Monywa joined the convoy on their motorcycles. The convoy reached Budalin about 1230 and during a three-hour stop in
Budalin, a signboard of Budalin NLD office was installed, a youth group was formed and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi delivered a speech. At about 1500 some NLM members and monks from Monywa who sent off Daw Aung San Suu Kyi returned to Monywa. On their way back to Monywa, they were blocked and brutally beaten up at Zeedaw and Alon Tagar villages by the authorities
and Kyant Phut [vernacular acronym for Union Solidarity and Development
Association] members, killing a monk and a student. A number of people
were also injured. When the corpse of the dead student was carried back to Monywa, members of security units blocked and beat up the people and snatched back the corpse.

When Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, who was still in Budalin, heard about the incident, she requested U Tun Myaing, secretary of Sagaing Division and U Aung San, chairman of Budalin NLD, to go to Monywa to inquire into the incident. However, the two have not returned and they remained missing as of today. When they did not return, six youth members from Monywa
decided not return to Monywa and proceeded to Tabayin with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's entourage. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and party left Budalin for Ye-u at about 1700. When they reached Saing Pyin village, 15 miles from Budalin, they came across a group of monks wearing red and white armbands. They had drawn up a line on the road to block Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's convoy of cars and motorcycles. They then proceeded to brutally
beat up the people inside the cars. Armed units stationed behind the monks opened fire and punctured the tires of the cars carrying U Tin U and the chairman of Sagaing Division NLD. The beating was so severe that many NLD members died. U Tin U's car veered into a ditch and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi received a serious head injury.

This incident was not planned by the Kyant Phut members, but was methodically plotted in advance by the authorities. Those wearing monks robes who beat up Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and NLD members were convicts from Mandalay Jail. Their heads were shaven in advance at No 1 High School in Monywa even before Daw Aung San Suu Kyi reached Monywa. The convicts were promised complete commutation of their jail sentence with
a cash award of Kyat 300,000 each after carrying out the plot. The persons who beat up Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her party acted in a frenzy as if they were on drugs. The authorities provided construction materials for Saing Pyin village
recently [as an act of favour].

That is the account given by a person who closely investigated the
violent act committed against Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and NLD members last
Friday. He went on to say that 68 bodies had been brought to the
Northwest Military Command Headquarters in Monywa and that the bodies
were cremated on Saturday. Meanwhile, Section 144 [of the Penal Code
banning unlawful assembly] has been imposed in Monywa from Sunday.
SPDC Secretary-2 Lt Gen Soe Win was in Monywa throughout the entire
incident and was reported to have flown back to Rangoon in a helicopter
on Sunday. DVB tried to contact Monywa to inquire about the incident and
the situation in Monywa, but the phone lines remain cut off. Over 200
NLD members were detained during the incident. The monk killed was the
Venerable U Panna Thiri of Okkan Tawya Monsastery of Monywa.

According to the Irrawaddy magazine based in Thailand, about 150 NLD
members accompanied Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and almost all of them are
still missing. Among them are Daw Win Mya Mya, a female NLD member and
Ko Myo Naing, an NLD youth member.

NLD offices throughout the country were sealed last Saturday and Sunday
and the NLD flags were pulled down. There have been no arrests and
office documents have not been confiscated.

According to military sources, security duties have been assigned to the
101st Division in Rangoon, the 11th Division in Pegu, and the 55th
Division in Mandalay. Meanwhile, battalions have been assigned to bring
back home military dependents staying at university dormitories and
private dormitories.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 2 Jun 03

==============================================

June 5 2003, Sydney Morning Herald

Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi sustained head and shoulder injuries last week in clashes between her supporters and a junta-backed group that are feared to have left dozens dead.
"She was hurt by shards of glass on her face and shoulder," a source close to the stalled national reconciliation dialogue told AFP yesterday, citing witnesses at the violent protests in northern Burma last Friday.
Ms Suu Kyi was being held at a military camp 40 kilometres north of the capital, Rangoon, he said. The source said the extent of her injuries, sustained when protesters smashed the windscreen of her car, were not known but he believed they were not life-threatening as "otherwise she wouldn't be held in the camp".

Burma's military junta has denied that Ms Suu Kyi was hurt and said that only four people died in the clashes, but the source said the toll was much higher.

"The toll given by the junta is totally below reality and is probably
much closer to the 70 to 80 dead figure which has been circulating," he said.

There were also grave fears for the safety of National League for
Democracy (NLD) vice-chairman Tin Oo, who had been travelling in Ms Suu Kyi's entourage during the political tour.

"We have very good reasons to be very worried. We have absolutely no news of Tin Oo. We don't know if he's dead or alive," the source said.

Other members of the pro-democracy campaigner's entourage detained after the clash are believed to be held at the notorious Insein jail on the outskirts of Rangoon.

The source said the junta, which has rolled out a wide-ranging crackdown
in the wake of the protests, was attempting to "play for time" by
claiming Ms Suu Kyi was safe and well. The entire NLD leadership, apart from Mr Oo, is under house arrest in
Rangoon in an attempt to prevent details of the protest from leaking out.

"This information came from direct eyewitnesses. If people don't want the truth to be known, any eyewitness is in danger," the source said.

The UN envoy to Burma, Razali Ismail, who is due to arrive in Rangoon on Friday on a mission to revive the reconciliation process, is attempting to determine the situation in the country and may not go ahead with his trip, he added.
"He will wait until the last minute before he takes his decision."

============================================
Walk On!! Aung San Suu Kyi

Last edited:
I requested Walk On to be played on 3 of my local radio station's and explained some of why I wanted it palyed, they were more than willing to air it. I don't know about the others, but the one I listen to, played it 3 times today at work and many other U2 songs with commentary about their causes/ the biggest hurdle was the pronounciation of her name Aung San Suu Kyi.
(Awe Sun Su Chee) No more problem.
Walk on my Sister. For all that you can't possibly leave behind..:heart:

Last edited:
Well, I just did a search at Amnesty Int'l and Amnesty USA and they appear to be alseep at the wheel on this. Anyone seen anything? Did I miss it?

Disappointed,
SD

No I haven't seen anything either. They had the AI USA guy on Worldlink yesterday & I got through but the show ended before they got to me. I was going to ask about her.

Tragdy

This is complete tragdy, no matter how much I hope for her safe return, the story seems to have been written. The US is not interfering as they should be. Sanctions? If a western world leader was taken capture, I don't think Sanction would be the method. There is no money is Burma, my friends are still there traveling. They say it is the poorest country next to Cambodia they have ever seen. That is why the US is just not interested. This is truely distressing. I only learned of her fight after Walk On came out. What an amazing women she is.

There is lot's of info in the media. I have seen a story almost everyday in the New York Times. Go to nytimes.com for the lastest

Last edited:
As of Friday I haven't received any newsletters from the Free Burma Coalition, becoming more concerned by the moment.
By the way, if you are interested in receiving newsletter's or help in any other way, go to their site and sign up:
http://www.freeburmacoalition.org

Thanks FrizzingWhizzbees for the link to AI. Good specific information there on How to write and word a letter to a (un-reconized) government or the officials - such as the ones in Myanmar or as we know it should be - Burma.

Is anyone else concerned why Amnesty or Free Burma is not sending emails?

I hate to say this, but the first thing that comes to my mind, is that her life is or was in jeopardy if no one is saying anything.

*sick to stomach*

This is good news, I hope.. I still haven't received any additional newsletters from Free Burma but I Found this article today in the Washington Post. I heard John McCain talking about it while getting ready for work this morning. Glad someone in government is trying to get the word out.

U.N. Diplomat Meets Detained Burmese Activist
Suu Kyi in 'Good Spirits' and Uninjured
advertisement

BANGKOK, June 10-Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader held incommunicado for 11 days after a violent clash between her supporters and government-backed activists, is uninjured, "in good spirits and very feisty," U.N. special envoy Razali Ismail said after a brief visit with her today.

Read the whole article here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37655-2003Jun10.html?nav=hptoc_w

The Lastest as of 6/11/03

Razali sees Aung San Suu Kyi yesterday. This according to LA Times today. Here's the article:

June 11, 2003 E-mail story Print

EDITORIAL
Freeze Myanmar Assets

The military thugs running Myanmar finally may have opened their eyes to the esteem in which Aung San Suu Kyi is held outside their nation. They already knew how much their oppressed citizens thought of the woman who should be leading the nation formerly known as Burma: The huge numbers greeting her on her journeys around her country provided graphic evidence of her popularity.

Harboring despots' fears of ouster by a charismatic pro-democracy leader, the army rulers arrested Suu Kyi, again, after a deadly attack on her motorcade May 30. However, they let United Nations representative Razali Ismail meet with the democracy activist Tuesday after stalling for days.

Delay is not new for Razali, who has sought for two years to push the nation's autocrats toward democracy. He deserves credit for insisting on a meeting with Suu Kyi; so does his boss, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who denounces the generals.

In 1947 a political rival assassinated Suu Kyi's father, an architect of the independence movement. Forty years later, his daughter began campaigning against the military regimes that ruled the country for much of its post-independence history. In 1990, she and her party won a parliamentary election but the military scrapped those results and kept her under house arrest. It also refused to let her leave to receive her 1991 Nobel Peace Prize or to be with her husband as he lay dying in England.

But a year ago, the junta let Suu Kyi travel again. Seeing her popularity undimmed, the government organized the May30 ambush of her motorcade and cited the violence as cause for her arrest. She was held incommunicado until Razali met her. Nearby nations like Thailand and Malaysia feebly protested the assault and arrest.

The U.S. Congress is considering tougher measures to freeze the assets of the Myanmar government held in the United States and to bar the country's leaders from traveling here.

Those steps are warranted unless Suu Kyi is released and allowed to travel freely. The United States and other countries earlier imposed economic sanctions on Myanmar that devastated its economy. Trade with Thailand and China, plus the export of narcotics, has kept it afloat.

The trading partners, other countries in the region and aid givers like Japan need to get tougher by imposing sanctions and aid suspensions to push the country toward democracy; that's the outcome Myanmar's citizens show they favor every time they get the chance.

Myanmar's Suu Kyi May Be Released This Month-Report

_____Democracy in Burma_____

I truly hope this is so. Two articles here. It's long but alot is happening in Suu Kyi's life::heart:

Reuters
Friday, June 13, 2003; 9:06 AM
TOKYO (Reuters) - Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who has been detained by the ruling military for the past two weeks, may be released later this month, an official in Myanmar's Foreign Ministry told Japanese media on Friday.

Thaung Tun, director general of the ministry's political department, was quoted by Kyodo news agency as saying that Suu Kyi could be released if the situation in Myanmar "returns to normal."
No further details were available from the interview, which was conducted in Phnom Penh ahead of a series of meetings of Asia-Pacific nations.
Myanmar's military government took Suu Kyi into what it called "protective" custody during a trip to the north on May 30 after a clash between her supporters and government forces.

Suu Kyi and about two dozen senior members of her National League for Democracy have been held at locations in or outside the Myanmar capital, sources told Reuters in Yangon. Some of the locations are undisclosed.
The government said on Tuesday they would release her as soon as possible, but gave no time frame. She has spent more than half of the last 14 years in detention at her Yangon home.

Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Thursday he would seek action from Asian countries on the issue during a trip to the region next week for an annual meeting of the Association of South East Asian Nations Regional Forum.

U.S. Sanctions Bill Would Ban Burmese Imports
Friday, June 13, 2003;

Outraged over the latest crackdown by Burma's military junta, Congress is poised to approve legislation that would impose some of the toughest economic sanctions ever on a country for human rights violations, including a ban on the importation of Burmese goods.

The Senate passed a sanctions bill by a 97 to 1 vote on Wednesday, amid indignation over a deadly May 30 attack on the motorcade of Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of Burma's pro-democracy forces, who was later detained. Yesterday, the House International Relations Committee approved a similar bill by voice vote, and Secretary of State Colin L. Powell endorsed the "goals and intent" of the bills in a signed Wall Street Journal commentary headlined "It's Time to Turn the Tables on Burma's Thugs."

Business groups are protesting that the sanctions violate international trade rules, will accomplish little in the absence of cooperation from other countries, and contravene the longstanding U.S. policy of using "engagement," including commerce, to change the behavior of dictatorial regimes. But "when the train is moving 400 miles per hour, not a whole lot of people want to stand on the tracks," said William A. Reinsch, president of the National Foreign Trade Council, a corporate-backed organization.

The proposed import ban, which would cut off shipments of textiles and other Burmese goods to the United States that totaled about $356 million last year, gives the legislation far more of an economic bite than most other human rights or pro-democracy bills that Congress has passed. The only comparable laws to be enacted in recent memory, according to Kimberly Ann Elliott, a expert on sanctions at the Institute for International Economics, are the embargo on Cuba, the sanctions that restricted commerce with South Africa's apartheid regime and similar bans on trade with Haiti in the early 1990s.

The success enjoyed by Burma's congressional critics, whose leaders include Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Calif.), marks a reversal of a trend away from the use of trade as a weapon for human rights and other foreign policy purposes. The predominance of the engagement approach was evident in the approval of "permanent normal trade relations" with China in 2000, and Powell derided sanctions as exercises in futility when the Bush administration took office.

So although commerce with poverty-stricken Burma is of scant economic significance to the United States, business representatives fear that a trade embargo on Rangoon will give human rights activists and other proponents of sanctions new momentum to press for trade restrictions on other countries. After all, if engagement has been judged a clear failure in Burma's case, that makes it harder to argue that the policy will work at loosening authoritarian control elsewhere.

"We were kind of on a roll," Reinsch said ruefully. "Someone asked me the other day for a list of sanctions that had been enacted since [the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks], and the answer is none. I thought that was a pretty good record. Then here we go." Besides the Burma legislation, "there are other bills kicking around," he noted, including one aimed at Syria, which failed to pass last year but now "has some steam behind it."

Burma is a member of the World Trade Organization, which entitles it to the same treatment for its exports as other WTO members. So if the proposed ban on Burmese imports is implemented, Rangoon would presumably file a complaint with the WTO, and it might win the right to impose a ban on imports of U.S. goods.

That is a matter of little practical consequence, since U.S. exports to Burma total only about $10 million a year -- less than one-one-thousandth of 1 percent of total exports -- and the legislation would ban those exports anyway. But the administration is concerned enough about appearing to flout WTO rules that Powell's article warned of the need to "take into account our WTO obligations." He endorsed other provisions of the bills, including a freeze on the junta's financial assets.

For now, concerns about WTO rules do not seem likely to halt the march toward sanctions, given the widespread sentiment that the oppression by the generals in Rangoon has reached intolerable levels.

Even longtime critics of sanctions, such as Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.), backed McConnell's bill. Asked to explain the apparent change of heart, Lugar's spokesman, Andrew Fisher, said that although the senator "has been opposed to unilateral sanctions . . . the world is well united against the regime in Burma," and may join an embargo if Washington leads.

But Burma's main trading partners, including China and Thailand, have voiced unwillingness to go the sanctions route, and if that continues to be the case, "U.S. sanctions, or even more broadly, Western sanctions, probably aren't going to have much of an impact," said Elliott. Still, she said, "I think somehow, the regime does need to be confronted over its behavior."

Last edited:
Envoy Sees Chance of Burma Talks

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- U.N. special envoy Razali Ismail said Friday that he believed further mediation coupled with international pressure could win release of detained Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and lead to a political settlement between the opponents and the government.

Razali, the first foreigner to see Suu Kyi after a brutal crackdown on her pro-democracy movement two weeks ago, said divisions within the government offered hope that the two sides could resume talks.

"My job is to use this [division] to try to pry open the door as widely as I can," he said in his first extensive interview since leaving Rangoon, the Burmese capital, on Tuesday. "We have to begin to talk to the people who are pragmatists to see what can be done quickly."
For the full article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57330-2003Jun13.html

slightly off topic, but....

Has anyone here visited Myanmar? Any thoughts on how the form of government is affecting the people? What is the country like?

This I found while looking for articles about Suu Kyi. Still haven't received any newsletters and this is the longest it's ever been between newsletters. I wonder if they are being threatened in some way or if some of the people injured in the attack actually handled the newsletters. I have always gotten at least one a week sometimes 2 or 3. Just weird....
This reporter went there and his article is interesting:

I Went To Burma. Bad Move
A Place Where Tourism Carries Political Baggage
By Steve Hendrix
Sunday, June 15, 2003;

Burma has been high on my must-see list for decades. It's one of those cloaked-in-mystery countries, still wearing the veils of jungle secrecy so celebrated by Kipling and Orwell. Few Westerners go to Burma, which alone makes it irresistible. Add Burma's reputation for unspoiled natural beauty and deep cultural traditions, and its siren call reaches clear around the world.

It was only recently that it seemed appropriate to be a tourist in Burma. This is a government credibly accused of trafficking in narcotics, imprisoning dissidents and forcing citizens onto road gangs and children into the army. In 1990, Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy won national elections in a landslide. The military regime ignored the vote, crushed the party and sent Suu Kyi into the purgatory of house arrest for most of the decade.

The entire article is here;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57400-2003Jun13.html

And:
Nine Asian Nations Call for Suu Kyi's Release
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2934-2003Jun16.html

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Aung San Suu Kyi... We'll See you when you get home....
Walk On. And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong

Walk on, walk on
What you got they can't steal it
No they can't even feel it
Walk on, walk on...
Stay safe tonight

My God....Please!!!!

Red Cross to Meet Myanmar Detainees

The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 18, 2003; 11:23 PM

YANGON, Myanmar - Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi spent her 58th birthday Thursday locked up in an undisclosed place by a military government that defied demands by foreign government to free her.

Even Myanmar's partners in the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations have told the generals of the junta to free Suu Kyi quickly, a remarkable departure from the group's policy of not commenting on each other's internal affairs.

"The brutal rulers of Burma need to understand that the only acceptable way forward is to release Aung San Suu Kyi and her supporters and to resume dialogue with her and with her party," Secretary of State Colin Powell told a news conference Wednesday in Cambodia.

Nobel Peace laureate Suu Kyi has been held incommunicado since May 30, following violent clashes in northern Myanmar where she was on a tour. The government says the violence started when her motorcade tried to plow through a group of pro-junta demonstrators.

Myanmar authorities on Wednesday refused a Red Cross request to see Suu Kyi, but the group said Wednesday it will be allowed to see other people held in connection to political violence in northern Myanmar last month.

Members of her National League for Democracy have also been detained since the May 30 violence.

World leaders ranging from U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan to President Bush have issued strong appeals for Suu Kyi's immediate release and the restoration of political freedom for her party.

So far the only independent observer known to have seen Suu Kyi since her detention is Razali Ismail, the U.N. secretary general's special envoy to Myanmar, on June 10.

"The International Committee of the Red Cross is given access to all persons detained in connection with the event on May 30 with one exception," Michel Ducreaux, the regional representative of the ICRC in Myanmar, said after meeting Wednesday with Home Minister Col. Tin Hlaing.

"You know who that one exception is," Ducreaux said in a clear reference to Suu Kyi, whom he'd been asked about for several days.

Ducreaux didn't mention Suu Kyi by name, but instead made a point of saying he could meet Tin Oo, the 76-year-old vice chairman of Suu Kyi's party, and others.

World leaders ranging from U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan to President Bush have issued strong appeals for Suu Kyi's immediate release and the restoration of political freedom for her party, many of whose offices have been closed by the authorities since the incident.

The government described the May 30 violence as a clash between members of Suu Kyi's party and government supporters. It said four people died and about 50 were hospitalized. But opposition accounts portrayed the incident as a brutal, government-organized ambush of Suu Kyi's entourage in which as many as 70 people may have died.

On Tuesday, a government spokesman said 46 of those detained after the incident had been released, but did not give the number of those who were "called in for questioning." The ICRC has confirmed the release of 22 people.

Some National League for Democracy members, including would-be Members of Parliament, have been sent home, NLD officials said on condition of anonymity.

Myanmar's ruling military junta, which came to power in 1988, refused to step down after Suu Kyi's party won a 1990 general election. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991 and has spent most of the time since then under house arrest or strict surveillance.

? 2003 The Associated Press

Last edited:
There still isn't anything coming from the Free Burma Coalition. I wonder if Suu Kyi's life was threatened if theycontinued to send out emails. This was in the Washington Post today:

Suu Kyi's Conditions Said 'Deplorable'

The Associated Press
Monday, June 23, 2003; 4:22 PM

UNITED NATIONS - U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan on Monday decried the "truly deplorable" conditions under which Myanmar's military government is holding pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and again urged her immediate release.

Annan was concerned that Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, was reportedly being held in Insein Jail outside the Myanmar capital, Yangon, according to a statement from his spokesman's office.

He also said his special envoy had informed him she was detained under a law protecting the state against subversive elements.

Annan "considers the conditions under which she is being held - incommunicado and without charge - to be truly deplorable," the statement said.

Suu Kyi, the leader of the National League for Democracy has been detained since a clash between her supporters and government backers on May 30 in northern Myanmar.

Political prisoners in Myanmar, also known as Burma, are often not released even when they have completed their sentences.

Suu Kyi's detention has stirred international outrage, and the United States, the European Union and Britain have initiated sanctions to press for her release. The U.S. sanctions would bar most trade, dealing a harsh blow to Myanmar's export earnings.

On Monday, Japanese Senior Vice Foreign Minister Tetsuro Yano met with the No. 3 leader in Myanmar's military government, Gen. Khin Nyunt, to urge Suu Kyi's release. He was expected to deliver a message from Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi calling for her freedom.

In his statement, Annan urged "the government of Myanmar again to heed the repeated calls of the United Nations and the international community ... to immediately release (Suu Kyi) and other members" of her party.

He also called on the government to acknowledge the people of Myanmar are "overwhelmingly in favor of change and to join hands with all parties," to bring about national reconciliation in Myanmar as soon as possible.

Myanmar's military government maintains Suu Kyi is being detained for her own protection, and that the clash occurred when her supporters tried to drive through a crowd of people protesting her party's behavior. It said four people died and dozens were injured.

Back
Top Bottom