Attitudes to alcohol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really is a problem.
Teenagers that had to receive treatment in hospital after drinking too much has increased sharply here in Germany.

A session here really is two bottles or more. Five drinks is nothing. Well, for me it is, because my body refuses to accept alcohol since I'm sixteen.

randhail said:

I feel like the number applied to binge is so small and vague that of course the study will say binge drinking is a huge problem. I'm by no means saying that it's not a problem, but I don't think it's as bad as this study indicates.

I tend to agree too - I remember doing a survey a few years back about alcohol consumption, and by definition, I binge drink every weekend by relaxing with a bottle of wine, drunk over a few hours. I really do fail to see how that is binge drinking.

When I was 16 and skulling a bottle of vodka or wipeout with my best friend - now THAT was binge drinking:wink:

I know its not a funny subject, and I do have close personal experience with people with alcohol problems, but I think that some of the definitions need to be amended, to not make perfectly normal people feel as though they are alcoholics!!

It's more about just feeling drunk, even if you feel okay your liver still has to process all that alcohol. If I remember correctly it takes over one hour to get rid one unit of alcohol. Drinking 5 beers is making your liver work harder. It just can't be good for the body.

Irvine511, the sunlight (when there is any!) seems to be an excuse to drink even more. :giggle:

Just found some interesting statistic. In Germany every tenth child starts drinking alcohol before age 13.

It's also said that about 20 grams of alcohol, so 0.25 liters of wine or 0.5 liters of beer, is no problem for your body.

And your liver processes about one gram of alcohol per hour.

I believe in sociological terms, binge drinking is drinking above and beyond your personal limit, drinking until you are truly drunk and have lost motor skills. It's the effects of it which also count to it being classed as such. Though, all this probably changes from region to region and in each country, too. An adult relaxing with a bottle of wine over 4 hours on a Friday evening is not what I'd classify as a binge drinker. An adult drinking enough to pass out within 4 hours each Friday night probably is.

Angela Harlem said:
I believe in sociological terms, binge drinking is drinking above and beyond your personal limit, drinking until you are truly drunk and have lost motor skills. It's the effects of it which also count to it being classed as such. Though, all this probably changes from region to region and in each country, too. An adult relaxing with a bottle of wine over 4 hours on a Friday evening is not what I'd classify as a binge drinker. An adult drinking enough to pass out within 4 hours each Friday night probably is.

I agree. Also, when I think of 'binge drinking' I think of people going out to purposely get drunk. The point is not sharing a bottle of wine over dinner and conversation, or throwing back a few beers at the sports bar, but to simply drink much as one's stomach can hold, already knowing you are going to get sick or pass out.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/BingeDrinking.html

That explains it pretty much.

Other researchers have explained that it is counter-productive to brand as pathological the consumption of only five drinks over the course of an evening of eating and socializing. It is clearly inappropriate to equate it with a binge.

A recent Swedish study, for example, defines a binge as the consumption of half a bottle of spirits or two bottles of wine on the same occasion. Similarly, a study in Italy found that consuming an average of eight drinks a day was considered normal drinking -- clearly not bingeing. In the United kingdom, bingeing is commonly defined as consuming 11 or more drinks on an occasion. But in the United States, some researchers have defined bingeing as consuming five or more drinks on an occasion (an "occasion" can refer to an entire day). And now some have even expanded the definition to include consuming four or more drinks on an occasion by a woman.

Reading the word here for the first time I immediately thought it was about drinking as much as possible.

You can't define it by saying x beer is binge drinking in my eyes, but by saying if you drink more than just a few glasses with the intention to really get drunk that's binge drinking.

When my uncle visited friends in Chernobyl (they participated in taking some children for about a month each year, and later organised trips to Chernobyl to bring stuff there they collected before) it was normal to drink vodka all the time. Before every meal someone would hold a short speech, during the meal you would every now and then drink a shot, and so on.
For them it's quite normal, although for others, even my uncle who is a really "good" drinker, it would rather be binge drinking.

This binge drinking really has become a problem among teenagers and they underestimate the risks involved.

But you also see how different binge drinking is seen among the different countries.

I don't think it's so wrong to drink to get trashed every once in awhile. It can be a problem if it's frequent, or in situations where it could lead to unintended consequences. But I don't see why it's so looked down upon to want to get "drink to get drunk" every so often. as if doing that makes you a trashy person with no class or something.

VertigoGal said:
I don't think it's so wrong to drink to get trashed every once in awhile. It can be a problem if it's frequent, or in situations where it could lead to unintended consequences. But I don't see why it's so looked down upon to want to get "drink to get drunk" every so often. as if doing that makes you a trashy person with no class or something.

I don't think it's "wrong" in the way that stealing is wrong and killing is wrong, but I don't understand why anyone would do it knowing that one of those times, it can kill you. It is totally possible to drink yourself to death in a single night of partying.

I don't think binge drinking is the same as just getting trashed every few weeks. Binge drinking is more of a pattern, like every Friday night you go out solely with the purpose of drinking until you pass out or are puke sick. It's not wrong in the sense that it doesn't really affect anyone but yourself, but I still think it's pretty stupid.

Maybe I'm bias since we have an alcoholic in the family, but when you see someone who no has no control over his drinking addiction, you wonder why anyone would think acting that way is cool and try to mimic the disease for fun.

I enjoy a few beers or glasses of wine every now and then, and getting a good buzz going can be fun in the right company, but I've never been able to relate to the pleasure of actually getting drunk, even though I'm one of those lucky people who can do so without ever getting a hangover. Felt the same way about getting stoned the few times I tried it; I just don't enjoy that sensation of not being in control of my mind. I don't feel any moral revulsion towards people who enjoy drinking to get drunk on occasion or anything like that; I just simply don't get it.

What has always bothered me about 'binge drinking,' particularly as I remember seeing it in college (and to some extent grad school), is the dissolution of that usual unspoken compact to look out for each other, to pull your friends back from doing something stupid to themselves, that too often happens once the heavy drinking sets in. Now, as a professor, I read about the same things happening via the campus security briefs in our school newspaper after every weekend. Sexual assaults at frat parties, guys putting their fists through a wall or some "friend's" head through a window--stuff like that. I recall an occasion when a female classmate of mine who'd just been assaulted while walking home at night (an attempted rape; she did get away, but not without some bruised ribs, sprained fingers, and grass and dirt all over her) fled to a nearby bar where several of her friends happened to be hanging out and none of them--none--were sober enough to register what she was tearfully trying to explain had happened to her and help her out; she had to call herself a taxi instead. Or the Saturday night my freshman year when I walked down the hall of my dorm to the one closet-sized bathroom which was open on our floor at that time (they were renovating) and found some girl in her heels and fancy minidress and all that passed out sprawled across the room with her head on the toilet, puke all over the place. I had no idea who she was, let alone which party she was from, so I called the RA who in turn called for medical help. Man, did I get a lot of crap for "ratting" on her and her friends, but I wasn't gleefully looking to get anyone in trouble or anything; it just really frightened me to think that someone in what must have been a blatantly obvious, highly intoxicated state could've tottered out the door all by herself like that, failed to come back, and no one had the presence of mind to go looking for her. It's that kind of thing that really does disturb me about the 'culture' of binge drinking, if I can call it that. I realize it's far from the rule, but if even one incident like any of the above happens, that's one too many by me.

I don't even know why I posted that, it came out wrong. Of course repeated binge drinking is bad, but the term "drinking to get drunk" is used a lot and I don't think it's there's anything wrong with that every so often. I have alcoholics in my family as well so I don't think it's cute or harmless or anything.

I dunno it just seems like teen drinking is stigmatized, as if any teenager that drinks and god forbid even wants to be drunk once in awhile is a flunking whore or something. you didn't say that :wink: I just think it's implied.

but I'm just being obnoxiously defensive because I'm...a teenager.

Last edited:
Why is it necessary to get piss drunk? I mean, don't get me wrong, I have been in various states of intoxication (I actually drank for 6 days straight during law O-week and it was extreme each day), so it's not a question of judgment.

But I just don't understand anymore what the attraction is. You can be pleasantly buzzed and have a far better evening/night than when you're stumbling around and vomiting for hours.

When you hit a certain age, it seems to me like the vast majority of people no longer drink excessively because they know how to have fun in other ways. Then you have those who apparently never get there and seem to assume that short of getting totally wasted, they just can't have a good time. I've always wondered why.

VertigoGal said:
I don't even know why I posted that, it came out wrong. Of course repeated binge drinking is bad, but the term "drinking to get drunk" is used a lot and I don't think it's there's anything wrong with that every so often. I have alcoholics in my family as well so I don't think it's cute or harmless or anything.

I dunno it just seems like teen drinking is stigmatized, as if any teenager that drinks and god forbid even wants to be drunk once in awhile is a flunking whore or something. you didn't say that :wink: I just think it's implied.

I see your POV, but since I've yet to meet a teenager that drinks to get drunk on a semi-regular basis who actually DOES know his/her limits, has been able to avoid getting in trouble with the law, and has never considered doing anything stupid while drunk or trying to drive, I still don't see the point. I can't even keep track of how many of my friends and my siblings friends have spent nights in jail, paid big fines, had their licenses revoked, etc because they were dumb enough to get drunk and start making a big scene until people got annoyed and cops showed up. Teen drinking may be stigmatized, but only for good reason. Until I see the day when my friends and relatives actually know their limits and stop getting into cars and driving drunk, I'll always think it's a stupid thing to do.

The problem with drinking is that when you are drunk, you lose control. It's a fact. We can talk all night about being careful and knowing one's limits, but when you are drunk, you don't and you can't know your limits or act rationally. If you are, then you're not really drunk and the whole discussion is irrelevant.

Looking at the majority of people in my high school, they definitely go out and binge drink or "drink to get drunk" nearly every weekend, sometimes more than one night a weekend. I've never understood the appeal of it. I do go to parties, but I only drink a few times a year and when I do, it's a few drinks over an extended period of time. I've never been wasted. I've been buzzed like once or maybe twice.

In my area, we've had 7 young, college guys drown in the Mississippi River. I have my own opinion on what is really happening, but the fact is that all of them were completely gone. One had a blood alcohol level of over .3, which is a point that you should be incapacitated. It's horrifying.

Vincent Vega said:
It really is a problem.
Teenagers that had to receive treatment in hospital after drinking too much has increased sharply here in Germany.

A session here really is two bottles or more. Five drinks is nothing. Well, for me it is, because my body refuses to accept alcohol since I'm sixteen.
Two bottles of what? Over the course of a night (8pm until 6am) I can consume a bottle of scotch with no ill effects but two bottles, that would be quite a feat.

I don't have a problem with drinking every now and then either.
What I meant was getting so drunk every weekend which is quite normal here.
My cousin and most of my schoolmates went out, and some still do, every Friday and Saturday, drinking until they can't do anything anymore.
My cousin even drove drunk, and one time he crashed having three passengers in the car.
Luckily it was a Audi, so it was a more secure and stable car and everybody survived. With his next car, a VW Golf, surely non of them would have survived.

When I speak of a problem I mean this behaviour, to get stupidly drunk every weekend.

The standard drink here is Cognac mixed with Cola, but the amount of Cognac gets more and more with each glass.
Then you play drinking games where you drink various shots of different liquors.
Very popular as well as Red Bull with Vodka, Bacardi Lemon with Sprite, and all that stuff. Beer only sometimes, it's not that popular with the youth anymore. The breweries reacted and now you have stuff like beer mixed with lemon, or energy stuff or whatever.

I can't say how much they exactly drink, but it's a lot, and it's more I ever could drink at one evening. They usually start at about eight, nine pm and it goes until three o' clock, sometimes longer.

And like I sat, very popular are those discos where you pay about €10 to €15, which is about $13 to $18 and then you can drink as much as possible.

I've seen it various times, and it's such a waste of money. And that weekend after weekend.

Liesje said:

Maybe I'm bias since we have an alcoholic in the family, but when you see someone who no has no control over his drinking addiction, you wonder why anyone would think acting that way is cool and try to mimic the disease for fun.

I can relate unfortunately and I agree. There's nothing fun or funny about it for me.

The teenager who drank 52 tequila finally died last night after four weeks in coma.

In Berlin ist die Zahl der mit einer Alkoholvergiftung eingelieferten Jugendlichen auf einem Höchststand: Wegen akuter Alkoholvergiftung wurden 2005 insgesamt 274 Kinder und Jugendliche im Alter zwischen zehn und 20 Jahren stationär in einem Krankenhaus behandelt. Bei den männlichen Jugendlichen war das im Vergleich zum Vorjahr eine Steigerung um 73 Prozent, bei den Mädchen ein Plus von 16 Prozent.
Der Spiegel

Translated: In Berlin the number of teenagers with alcohol intoxication is at a high: Due to acute alcohol intoxication 274 children age ten to twenty received in-patient treatment in hospitals in 2005. Compared with the year before it increased by 73 percent with male, and 16 percent with female.

Jeder Zehnte, der trinkt, sucht den Vollrausch und findet nicht selten die Besinnungslosigkeit; bei Jugendlichen sind es sogar doppelt so viele.

[In Europe] every tenth who drinks, drinks aims for a drunken stupor, often even faints.
With teenagers it's twice as many.

Last edited:
I don't believe in drinking to get drunk. I actually don't drink at all, but I won't make an issue of the occasional drink, or drinking in moderation (though "moderation" can be tricky thing, which is WHY I don't drink at all).

I don't think that people who drink to get drunk are evil people. But I do believe it's wrong (and not just for teenagers). And people who choose to do so, who might be quite bright and intelligent otherwise, are not making very wise choices.

And unfortunately, sometimes yourself ISN'T the only person you hurt.

maycocksean said:

That's my main beef w/ drinking. RARELY is it only the drinking individual who is affected by his or her actions.

yolland said:
I enjoy a few beers or glasses of wine every now and then, and getting a good buzz going can be fun in the right company, but I've never been able to relate to the pleasure of actually getting drunk, even though I'm one of those lucky people who can do so without ever getting a hangover. Felt the same way about getting stoned the few times I tried it; I just don't enjoy that sensation of not being in control of my mind. I don't feel any moral revulsion towards people who enjoy drinking to get drunk on occasion or anything like that; I just simply don't get it.

What has always bothered me about 'binge drinking,' particularly as I remember seeing it in college (and to some extent grad school), is the dissolution of that usual unspoken compact to look out for each other, to pull your friends back from doing something stupid to themselves, that too often happens once the heavy drinking sets in. Now, as a professor, I read about the same things happening via the campus security briefs in our school newspaper after every weekend. Sexual assaults at frat parties, guys putting their fists through a wall or some "friend's" head through a window--stuff like that. I recall an occasion when a female classmate of mine who'd just been assaulted while walking home at night (an attempted rape; she did get away, but not without some bruised ribs, sprained fingers, and grass and dirt all over her) fled to a nearby bar where several of her friends happened to be hanging out and none of them--none--were sober enough to register what she was tearfully trying to explain had happened to her and help her out; she had to call herself a taxi instead. Or the Saturday night my freshman year when I walked down the hall of my dorm to the one closet-sized bathroom which was open on our floor at that time (they were renovating) and found some girl in her heels and fancy minidress and all that passed out sprawled across the room with her head on the toilet, puke all over the place. I had no idea who she was, let alone which party she was from, so I called the RA who in turn called for medical help. Man, did I get a lot of crap for "ratting" on her and her friends, but I wasn't gleefully looking to get anyone in trouble or anything; it just really frightened me to think that someone in what must have been a blatantly obvious, highly intoxicated state could've tottered out the door all by herself like that, failed to come back, and no one had the presence of mind to go looking for her. It's that kind of thing that really does disturb me about the 'culture' of binge drinking, if I can call it that. I realize it's far from the rule, but if even one incident like any of the above happens, that's one too many by me.

:up: :up:

The only thing I really enjoy drinking is red wine. Like you say, it can be great in the right moment, with the right people. I like how it can accentuate a great song, or relax you a bit when watching an otherwise uptight hockey game between bitter rivals. :wink:

I come from a small town, and it was par for the course to drink regularly, and get ‘plastered.’ I never bought-in to the routine, and I undoubtedly paid a small price socially because of it. I wouldn’t change a thing, however.

The only thing I would change, if I had the power, is the level of expectation that’s placed on young people to drink. It’s a trap that’s often driven by advertising and peer pressure. It especially bugs me, for example, how sport is so intertwined with drinking on television, and at the venues. That’s just sending the wrong kind of message, and one that self-perpetuates for every new crop of kids that comes along.

If people are going to drink, they will, whatever, as long as they don't drive. I can't understand the villainization of cigarettes, though, while booze remains cool, and it does much worse to a person's stability, and is just as bad for your health. For that matter, why does pot remain illegal if booze is okay? I'm not for prohibition, just wondering why pot and cigs are so bad if booze is accepted. I am all for legalizing pot.

Just one who thinks that being able to control our own minds with chemicals is better than having other people saying that we can't.

But we have to remember that prohibition is good for politicans who can get more power, good for organised crime which is always able to fill the demand and is considered by most people to be good for "society".

maycocksean said:

Yes this is so true. :(

There is a huge binge drinking culture in Europe and i think the UK, my country is top of the league of binge drinkers. :slant: In alot of bars/clubs/pubs there are special promtions which mean that drinks are super cheap, like 3 for £5, £1.50 for some double shots and mixers. Alot of people get drunk alot quicker obviously and most bars would continue serving them. :|

I remember a one off incident when i was at school where a few kids sat on the school field one lunchtime and drank alot of vodka and i remember one of them ending up in hospital having his stomach pumped. We were about 15. :slant:

Last edited:
I've recently read an article about special tours for tourists here in Berlin where they go from club to disco and so on, everywhere where they offer the so called "flatrate drinking". In between they get some longdrinks, too.

It's pretty popular with Brits, Americans and Australians.

Now there is some approach to abolish these flatrate offers.
Three incidents in the last month here in Berlin, the 16-year old that died, a girl that jumped off an balcony and a 15-year old coming into hopsital with 4.1 promille, had some impact on the politicians.

Well, my sister, who just turned 15 on Wednesday, got an underage drinking ticket last night. She blew a .115 blood alcohol level. Honestly, I've seen it coming for a long time...but apparently, my parents haven't wanted to believe that she could be drinking.

And, how did the party get busted? Someone was driving away from the party.

Now, I don't drink often, it's maybe one drink every 3 months or so, but anytime I do, I stay at the person's house. I under no circumstances drive anywhere until well into the next day. I think that's the truly scary thing about teens, at least in America. People think that nothing bad will ever happen to them, then they end up dead in the ditch. :|

One point to note, alcohol consumption per capita in America has actually declined very significantly in recent decades.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Just one who thinks that being able to control our own minds with chemicals is better than having other people saying that we can't.

Under any circumstances?

Should you be allowed to drink and drive?

What is the difference between costing an individual directly (by killing them in a drunk driving accident) or costing society indirectly (by binging and then setting us back well into 6 figures for the cost of your life support for 42 days)?

Back
Top Bottom