Attempt to Ban Homosexuals from living in a County

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate1: it's possible that your cousin is both gay and mentally ill, just like I had a couisin who was heterosexual and mentally ill. He was paranoid schizophrenic and killed himsself. Should I conclude that there is a link between heterosexuality and mental illness as you have done with homosexuality and mental illness?

It's also possible that your cousin is gay and also just an ass who should not be bothered with, just like I had a cousin who is straight and an ass and I don't bother with him.

Kate - just because the bible doesn't "support" it, doesn't mean that it's a mental illness or that it's not natural. The bible is not the law of the earth that everyone bases stuff on. The majority of the world isn't even christian. You yourself said you weren't religious, so why would base your opinions on what the bible says? It makes about as me saying that eating beef is unnatural because the hindu religion says it's wrong. Not to mention that just because the bible says it's wrong doesn't make it unnatural. Killing and stealing is wrong but there is nothing unnatural about it, it's human nature (btw i am not in any way comparing homosexuality to murder, it was just the best example i could think of, and I don't think there is anything wrong with homosexuality)
It's also obvious that you know a lot about psychology considering that modern psychology doesn't consider homosexuality to be a mental illness in any form.

well, one thing these people? believe is natural

self-preservation.

THE NATION
County Rescinds Vote to Ban Gay Residents
In the courtroom of the 1925 'Monkey Trial,' commissioners retreat amid ideological furor.

By Ellen Barry
Times Staff Writer

March 19, 2004

DAYTON, Tenn. ? In the same tense, humid courtroom where Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan battled over the teaching of evolution 79 years ago, eight county commissioners on Thursday quickly rescinded an antigay motion that drew national attention ? and some ridicule ? to Dayton once more.

The measure, which the commission had passed unanimously Tuesday night, would have banned gays and lesbians from living in Rhea County. The proposal would have allowed the county to prosecute gays and lesbians for "crimes against nature."

The motion had been sent to the county attorney, who was directed to write a resolution that could eventually become Tennessee state law. County Atty. Gary Fritts said that the commissioners had intended, simply, to ban same-sex marriage in Rhea County. But when the wording of the motion became public, Dayton became the center of an ideological firestorm.

The last 48 hours had brought a sense of deja vu to this Bible Belt city of front-porch swings and towering magnolias. In the courtroom, fundamentalist activists talked about sodomites; from a few feet away, college students in dog-collars and black T-shirts yelled back; a street preacher marched back and forth warning of the end of the world.

All day, county officials fielded phone calls from journalists from as far as Australia, refusing to comment with scrupulous good manners and looks of supreme exasperation.

After the vote, which lasted less than five minutes, a gavel came down and the commissioners hurried away from the courthouse, leaving a crowd of about 60 milling around in the warm spring evening.

Some celebrated. Several shouted, "Coward!"

One local man, who opposed the proposal, said the damage has been done: Rhea County, he said, is a "laughingstock."

"They kicked a hornet's nest," said Jerry Morgan, 58, a house painter. "They think they can say a few words and the hornets will go away. But the hornets are in the air."

The commission had met Tuesday to discuss budget appropriations and surplus property. J.C. Fugate told his fellow commissioners that he wanted to discuss the subject of gay marriage, and dictated a motion that read, "those kind of people cannot live in Rhea County, or abide in Rhea County; if caught, they should be tried for crimes against nature."

The effort was "blatantly unconstitutional," said Hedy Weinberg, executive director of the Tennessee American Civil Liberties Union. The U.S. Supreme Court struck down sodomy laws in 2003.

"I've seen a lot of things, but I've never heard of an effort by an elected body to try to prohibit a group of people from living in their community," Weinberg said.

Rhea County is one of Tennessee's most conservative. It has a population of 28,000 and is located in the southeast corner of the state, about 30 miles north of Chattanooga.

Local leaders have not been afraid to challenge state or federal law. Two years ago, a federal judge ordered teachers to stop teaching Bible classes in the public schools, a practice that dated back 51 years. A longtime local ordinance prohibited the sale of liquor within a mile of a church.

But what burned Dayton into the American imagination was the so-called "Monkey Trial," in which science teacher John Scopes was prosecuted for teaching evolution in the classroom. The trial in July 1925 pitted legendary lawyers Clarence Darrow (on the side of Scopes and evolution) against William Jennings Bryan (on the side of the state of Tennessee and creationism). The result was ideological theater that captured the attention of the world.

The heat and crowds were so oppressive that the judge moved the trial outdoors into the courtyard, where thousands watched the proceedings. In the end, the jury deliberated less than 10 minutes before finding Scopes guilty. It was a ruling a state court would overturn less than two years later ? but a case that that would go on to inspire books, plays and films.

Those familiar with the trial, though, look back on it largely as a media event. Weinberg recalled that the ACLU scoured the state for a teacher willing to challenge the law. Others said the trial promised publicity for a small, tucked-away section of Tennessee.

"Dayton's kind of got a reputation for trying to be in the news," said Danny Crabtree, 49, a furniture salesman. The Scopes trial "was more or less worked up in Robinson's drugstore."

People here still roll their eyes at that legacy. The Dayton Best Western features stained-glass monkey decorations, and its bar is called the "Golden Monkey." The worst, said Crabtree, is the nickname.

"You could get on the CB as far away as New York and you could say, 'I'm from Monkeytown,' and they'd know you were from Dayton," he said.

Several residents interviewed before Thursday's vote said the antigay proposal would cast a pall over Rhea County, discouraging industry from moving in. Others said they had deep, religiously based sympathy for Fugate's motion.

"This is the reason God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah," said Jean Sinclair, 75, who was chatting with friends in a drugstore. "Every nation that's started this ? Babylon, Middle Persia, Rome ? they all fell into this sinful way."

Karen Slikker, the owner of a downtown art store, said she did not support the commission's proposal. But she said she was distressed about the wave of gay marriages, reasoning that "God prohibited it because it is not good for us."

"For me, I believe there have to be certain limits on how they impose their lifestyle on us," she said.

"There's been a lot of talk about us imposing our lifestyle on them. It works both ways."

"There's been a lot of talk about us imposing our lifestyle on them. It works both ways."

:rolleyes:...er...yeah, 'cause we all know homosexuals have been trying to get everybody out there to convert to their lifestyle...it's not like heterosexuals have done that to anybody...

Sheesh.

Angela

Kate1 said:
Being gay is a mental illness in my eyes no effence like. If it was right how come the bible doe not state this, hey. or any other holey book infact.

You know what? I don't know how to even dignify this with a response. I guess, really, if you ignore 30 years of psychiatric and psychological evidence that proves how stupid this statement is, then I don't know what to tell you.

But, I guess, if you can't spell or punctuate sentences correctly, reading a goddamn book for once might be too much to ask.

You're wrong, and if you can't see that, then it is you who has the mental illness.

Melon

Kate is apparently 15 years old....according to her profile. I am wondering what life experiences have cause her to reach these conclusions.

Dread, good point.

I didn't even think to look at the girl's age. Sometimes you just assume and well you know what they say about people who assume. I know I wasn't exactly clear on the subject when I was that age and my peers were often even more unclear.

:lmao: nbc

I think we all viewed things a little differently when we were 15, but attitudes towards homosexuality were different when we were 15 (even though that was only 6 years ago for me). Hopefully she'll view things differently when she gets older and learns more about the world.

In other news, I think this site is really interesting:

http://www.gaymiddleeast.com/

Read through all the nations, but compare Israel to Palestine, for instance. It should explain why I have few sympathies left for Palestine.

Melon

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Kate,

Firstly you should learn to spell. It's so rare that I criticise people's spelling online, but if you're going to refer to a "holey" (you mean holy) book or a "phycoligist" (you mean psychologist) as a means to support your bigotry then you should at least be able to spell them. Further, if you do not wish to cause "effence" (you mean "offence" not "affence" as you spelled it in another post) then perhaps you should keep in mind that there are several people who post here who are gay and will be extremely offended by your baseless accusations.

Secondly, I would love to see your psychological sources which describe homosexuality as a mental illness, especially since it hasn't been included in definitions of mental illness since sometime in the early 1970s I believe.

Finally, do you think that "not bothering" with your cousin because they're gay is generally a nice way to treat people? I mean would you like it if people were to treat you that way?

Your are correct FizzingWhizzbees. I took several courses in psychology while I was in colleage in the late 70's. And homosexuality, was NOT to be considered as a mental illness. But, the ignorance and the fear, society has of it, well maybe that is another matter.

Again, I say. You can not turn a person "gay" anymore than you can turn a person "straight!" Finding someone to love, commit to and who feels the exactly same way about you, is what I feel, is truly beautiful. And whether your partner is a man or a woman. It really doesn't matter.

Kate, when I posted my above message, I didn't know that you were only fifteen years old. But, I really do respect you as a human being and I am not trying belittle you, in any way. I am in my forties and I have personally experenced, what the predudice can do.

Ten years ago, a friend of mine was beaten to death, as he left a gay bar. And back when I was in college, a best friend of mine, blew his brains out with a gun, because he could not handle being gay. I also, have lost several more friends to Aids, back in the early eighties. This is the reason I feel so strongly about this subject. I hope you understand. Take care.

Inis said:
Ten years ago, a friend of mine was beaten to death, as he left a gay bar. And back when I was in college, a best friend of mine, blew his brains out with a gun, because he could not handle being gay. I also, have lost several more friends to Aids, back in the early eighties. This is the reason I feel so strongly about this subject. I hope you understand. Take care.

Good god...:tsk:...

Sorry to hear of your losses. :hug: :(.

Inis said:
Kate, when I posted my above message, I didn't know that you were only fifteen years old. But, I really do respect you as a human being and I am not trying belittle you, in any way. I am in my forties and I have personally experenced, what the predudice can do.

My best friend who I considder my sister is gay. It would distroy my faith in humanity if anything happened to her because of her love for someone.
Hate should not be because of love.<--- does that make sense.

"Hate should not be because of love." Yes, this makes perfect sense.

And thank you so much, for the kind words and condolences.

You're welcome, Inis. :).

And agentmissa...that makes sense to me. It just frightens the hell out of me that people are willing to go so far as to hurt people, even kill them, just because of who they are and who they fall in love with. How can anybody possibly justify doing something that stupid over something that harmless? I don't get it.

Angela

Inis said:
:hug:

What the fuck is this? Ignorant bigot weekend? I'm tempted to ask if you have any form of coherent explanation for your comments, but after asking the question on numerous previous occassions, I'm starting to learn that bigotry doesn't normally have a rational explanation.

:sigh:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
What the fuck is this? Ignorant bigot weekend? I'm tempted to ask if you have any form of coherent explanation for your comments, but after asking the question on numerous previous occassions, I'm starting to learn that bigotry doesn't normally have a rational explanation.

:sigh:

I have been dealing with this issue inside my own home. I've agued the argue, tried to make some sense to it. Unfortunately I have concluded that people's minds can't accept what they don't understand. If all the sudden the world leaders said, homosexuality will be the only tolerated union because of over population wonder how the heterosexual couples would feel? Like their rights would be taken away?:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom