attack on schools may not be so legit - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:25 PM
attack on schools may not be so legit

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/08/schools.iraq/index.html

I'm sure you all may have heard about this potential attack on schools based on disks they found in Iraq, but check this quote out from CNN.com:

The Department of Homeland Security official said the material was associated with a person in Iraq, and it could not be established that this person had any ties to terrorism. He did have a connection to civic groups doing planning for schools in Iraq, the official said.

So they have parents scared about their kids' safety based on the fact that a guy who was planning schools in Iraq had a disk with information about schools in the U.S. Are you kidding me?

Old 10-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:25 PM
sharky-
i think you're bright. u however will never give this administration the benifit of the doubt.

they will be never be able to do any right.
if they warn us and a school is not hit theyre using 'scare tactics'.

if a school is actually hit they will be accused for not protecting that school well enough by your political party.

what gives?

diamond

Old 10-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
New Yorker

I would give them the benefit of the doubt if there was an actual threat. Read the story, there is not. Again, from CNN.com:

"The FBI is examining the materials, but a Department of Homeland Security official said the intelligence community determined there was no threat."

"'There is no threat associated with this,' another government official said."

"Officials said that they are taking the matter seriously though there has been no specific threat related to the recovered material."

"'There is no analysis by the intelligence community that the Iraqi information or Beslan information or any other information indicates there is any plot to attack a school in the United States,' said Brian Roehrkasse, a Department of Homeland Security spokesman."

The story mentions "no threat" or a variation of that FOUR times. So why did the Homeland Security Dept. come out with this "threat"?

Same with a few months ago. Tom Ridge came out and said the NYSE was a target and moved up to an Orange Alert Level. But any New Yorker can tell you we've been at an Orange Alert Level since they instituted that dumb color system. The NYSE didn't need to make changes to their security policy other than to be more thorough with pack back checks. If you didn't know the NYSE was a target since 9/11, you're dillusional. So how come Tom Ridge felt the need to scare us about keeping the SAME threat level on financial institutions that was already in place?

The problem I have is that this administration continues to cry wolf. What happens when there really is a threat and no one takes it seriously because we've done this so many times already?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:25 PM

Could it be that he's behind in the polls?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:25 PM
i read that story on cnn this morning.

it is comical how stories discussing, broadly put, lack of journalistic accountability or poor reliability of intelligence appear alongside stories like this one.

there are no sources named and seemingly nothing reliable to go by except 'official sources'. i do not mean to suggest that breaking news should not be covered and developed within the public sphere, but caveats and disclaimers should be considered in parallel with largely baseless claims.

i direct this post more broadly than the story of today. i find it disconcerting that 'a group believed to have links with al qaeda' and the thoughts of 'unnamed sources' have been, with little question, 'bought' by the media of late without the terms of reference having been defined.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
After the Chechen attack on the school, I would expect nothing less than an abundance of caution regarding school plans found in Iraq.

The individual involved may have a"connection to civic groups doing planning for schools in Iraq" - but I'd bet that there is plenty of assistance going to terror groups through fake fronts.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

It is scary to me how vulnerable schools are. Columbine proved that.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
New Yorker

But Columbine was in 1999. We should have made our schools safer since then especially between that, all the other school shooting and 9/11. I think we need to better protect schools especially after Beslan, but this particular story from the Homeland Security Dept. irked me to no end, especially considering the new trendy voting bloc now is the "Security Moms" who fear for their kids safety after 9/11.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Exactly what reforms would you put in place to protect schools?

And Columbine is on my mind, since a few towns away they just arrested a kid for planning an attack on his High School.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
New Yorker

Ya know, honestly, I don't know, Dread.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:25 PM
What I find interesting is that the information wasn't for any paticular location or school. This is often the case when planning and recieving drawings from other sources. This is public information and in all honesty really wouldn't aid that much in any kind of terrorist activity.

But that's how the story goes...something that scary makes headlines, but then the retraction gets buried in page 13 with fine print.

What will the people remember? If you don't think this kind of thing helps this administration then think again. If there was a true threat action would be taken and nothing would be leaked to the press.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Re: attack on schools may not be so legit

AP Poll: Kerry Holds Small Lead Over Bush..........U.S. Alerts Schools About Terror Threat...

How friggin' desperate are they?
They did before and they will do it again.

Take the lowest road---to the highest office.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Speaking of loads of crap.....
Old 10-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Speaking of loads of crap.....
Yep, that is exactly what the "warning" by the delightful Department of Homeland Security is, NBC. I'm so glad you've finally seen the light.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:25 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I bet you amuse yourself.....