atheists are...weird...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before I start my little rant, I'd like to point out a very important difference among atheists. Besically, there's two (2) kinds of atheist. There's weak atheism, which is the non-belief in the existance of a higher power, and there's strong atheism, which is the belief in the nonexistance of a higher power.

The mentality behind weak atheism makes a lot of sense to me (although i wouldn't describe myself as one), and the argument behind it makes a lot of sense.

Strong atheism, on the other hand, is quite possibly the most ridiculous system of beliefs that I've encountered. The basis for strong atheism is this: There is no evidence for God, therefore God doesn't exist. We all know that that's an invalid argument, but they cling to this argument and spout nonsense like, "Faith is for the weak." and "God is just pretend." They have the mannerisms of psycho fundamentalist jesus freaks. They complain when a person presents his or her belief in God as fact, but they go out of their way to offend theists and attacking their beliefs, and they defend themselves with the "knowledge" that they're right and anyone who believes in God is wrong.

I hate those people, and I really want to beat them all with a hail of bullets.

Not George Lucas said:
"Faith is for the weak."

i have found that faith is for the strongest of people.

that was a good post though...i don't see the mentality behind that, although i will TOLERATE them. i should hope fundamentalists on either side learn tolerance...cos this is just annoying.

So the atheists on, say, this forum are weird?

:confused:

I'm an atheist, and i don't think i'm a weirdo or a freak because of it. I know both atheists and religious people, and all of them were good people (IMO there should only be one divide between humans: either they're good persons or not). I have never EVER had religious beliefs enforced upon nor have i EVER persuaded anyone else into atheism.
I also have seen people with black clothes and nail polish and even though they looked a bit "excentric" i would never call them Satan worshippers.

IMO people should believe what they want and seek happiness in their own way.

Not George Lucas said:
Strong atheism, on the other hand, is quite possibly the most ridiculous system of beliefs that I've encountered. The basis for strong atheism is this: There is no evidence for God, therefore God doesn't exist. We all know that that's an invalid argument, but they cling to this argument and spout nonsense like, "Faith is for the weak." and "God is just pretend."

Why is that an invalid arguement? There is no hard evidence of God's existence, that fact alone is Intrinsic to having 'faith' or 'belief'. I believe that Man created God to explain the world around him, therefore God IS pretend. That arguement is not invalid if you don't believe in God.

They have the mannerisms of psycho fundamentalist jesus freaks. They complain when a person presents his or her belief in God as fact, but they go out of their way to offend theists and attacking their beliefs, and they defend themselves with the "knowledge" that they're right and anyone who believes in God is wrong.

The existence of God is NOT a fact, so yes, I will take offense to those that present it as such. As the arguement stands, both sides can't be right, therefore they each are going to believe that the other is wrong. It's the only way it can be.

I hate those people, and I really want to beat them all with a hail of bullets. [/B]

A fine example of that so called tolerance of those different than you that religion teaches. You should be ashamed of yourself for making a comment like that. I don't believe in God, yet I believe we are all entitled to what we wish to believe.

U2girl said:
So the atheists on, say, this forum are weird?

nope.

that was my title choice clearly, but my first statement was "well, not ALL of them...". i tried to describe the woman as best i could...her fanatical ways and her fundamental mannerisms were just a bit off color. i apologize if i worded it more poorly than i thought, i did not, by any means, mean to pass judgement on or categorize you.

there's big differences between being a non-believer, atheist, satanic, and anti-christ. It's what you believe. Believe is what you want to believe, while fact is what you believe you see. So as a -matter- of- factly speaking, doesn't believe in the same God doesn't make you an atheist, and doesn't believe in christ the son of God also doesn't make you an atheist, and don't believe in organized religion also doesn't make you atheist. Satanism was started to plea against the first human, Adam, and then when the offspring of that first human resents christianity, that's when the church of satan revived. It's just a matter of belief, to endorse religion or to exercise freedom of belief in a secular state. All are equal before God, even those who doesn't belong to the same faith in believing God. All human are equal before God even those who doesn't believe in, or even more who goes against, God. Engels and Marx are atheist, even so they didn't call theirself atheist, they just plainly doesn't care and doesn't even think that there is a God or there isn't any. Anthony Lavey grew up in an orthodox catholics family, he grew up hating everything christianity have. Gandhi was a very religious and spritual human, he practices spiritual lights that can't be claimed solely by any religion in the world. And atheist isn't weird, certain human are weird. Does anyone of you dare to say that Jerry Falwell is not weird?

get along, that's the key

FallenAngel

Zooropa said:

Why is that an invalid arguement? There is no hard evidence of God's existence, that fact alone is Intrinsic to having 'faith' or 'belief'. I believe that Man created God to explain the world around him, therefore God IS pretend. That arguement is not invalid if you don't believe in God.

The argument is invalid. It's arguing from ignorance, which is a logical fallacy. (Arguing from ignorance is basically saying that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.) While you may believe that God is pretend, it can hardly be construed as fact. It is your belief, which is just as valid as everyone else's. Whether or not you believe in God (or any other issue, for that matter) has no bearing on the validity of any argument.

The existence of God is NOT a fact, so yes, I will take offense to those that present it as such.

As such, the nonexistance of God is also not a fact, and I take offense to those who construe it as such.

A fine example of that so called tolerance of those different than you that religion teaches. You should be ashamed of yourself for making a comment like that. I don't believe in God, yet I believe we are all entitled to what we wish to believe.

Ashamed? Why? You assume that I follow a religion. The fact is I do not. I follow logic and experience, and I hate self-righteous strong atheists.

so you hate any self-righteous atheists even before you meet them? So if someone came up to you and said they were a self-righteus atheist you would atomatically hate them?

Not George Lucas said:
Unless they do something to change my mind about them, yes.

I'm full of hate.

icon42.gif

yarof

I dont know if aethists are weird. I have a friend that is aethist and we have talk about why he doesnt believe in God and what makes me believe in God and its very interesting to hear where he is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom