Atheism revisited. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by swissair135
This thread is not about creationism smart guy.

Its about atheism, and the lack of physical evidence for god.

Still crying that America is a christian society?

(for the record: I am not a typical creationist christian.. I believe in evolution) .. but I believe in intelligent design..

like many threads on FYM, it has shifted focus and became a very involved, and very interesting discussion/dissertation on evolution. yes, the lack of physical evidence for God might have been a jumping off point, but it has evolved into something else altogether. or maybe you weren't reading the posts closely?

crying that America is a Christian society? gosh, please show me from what post you're able to make such an inference/judgement. or maybe you find it easier to label me, assume a set of beliefs, file me away into another category, and then view all that i might write through one particular, self-serving, self-reinforcing prism?

that's happened to me before. i won't worry about it.

and good luck with your intelligent design kerfuffle -- you sound really cutting edge not being a "typical christian creationist." zowie!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

For those of you who are atheists, what do you see as the point of life, or is there none since everything just "happened." Yes, I'm a Christian, but I seriously and respectfully want to hear what you think on this.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #48
The Fly

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Thank you irvine.... youve officially become the sour grape in this thread.

This was a respectful and positive intellectual conversation, but you managed to throw in your half-assed comments.

You should be proud.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Thank you irvine.... youve officially become the sour grape in this thread.

This was a respectful and positive intellectual conversation, but you managed to throw in your half-assed comments.

You should be proud.

hmmmmmmmmmm ... i seem to remember commenting on A_W, and leaving it at that. you were the one who picked up on the comment and used the condescending word "smart guy" and following with a set of half-assed comments.

i.e., "Still crying that America is a christian society?"

really, how was that respectful and positive, let alone intellectual?

oh well. you should read more closely. and once you start posting a little more, you'll understand that off-comments are consistently made, and should do little to derail a thread; and also that threads spin off in different directions, often not in the way you intended.

but you'll figure it out soon.

and drop the name calling. quickly.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #50
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i can hear the Creationists quiver with fear when A_W walks into the room ... you give facts, they respond with "but this is what i believe!" you give proof of evolution, they stammer ask for proof that intelligent design isn't entirely, 100% wrong. and if there is a 1% that cannot be unequivocally disproved, then they use that to reassert their beliefs.

nicely done.
Yeah Irvine.. your an innocent little boy/girl/both.

You start with your very sarcastic, yet very brash comment about how believers fear A_W.

In case you didnt know, your comments are SIMPLY THERE TO FLAME.

No christian on this thread, including me, have not shown, atheists (including one of my best friends in this thread) any disrespect. Yet, you seem to think that you can not show that same respect.

Do me a favor.... go do something with your time, and let this thread continue to be a good source of discussion and ideas.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:41 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yeah Irvine.. your an innocent little boy/girl/both.

You start with your very sarcastic, yet very brash comment about how believers fear A_W.

In case you didnt know, your comments are SIMPLY THERE TO FLAME.

No christian on this thread, including me, have not shown, atheists (including one of my best friends in this thread) any disrespect. Yet, you seem to think that you can not show that same respect.

Do me a favor.... go do something with your time, and let this thread continue to be a good source of discussion and ideas.

then stop responding to my posts

and you'll notice i said "creationists" not "christians" (again, that reading closely thing).

and, since you're not a creationist, why are you so offended?

unless you're looking to be offended?

mmmmmm ... i can feel the self-righteousness.

and i'm done now. carry on, all.

and again, i'll give my kudos to A_Wanderer. he's clearly mopping the floor in this thread. just offering a to someone who uses logic, reason, and science to construct and argument.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #53
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
For those of you who are atheists, what do you see as the point of life, or is there none since everything just "happened." Yes, I'm a Christian, but I seriously and respectfully want to hear what you think on this.
Would you also say that a "creator" is needed to, therefore, give life a "point" and/or meaning?

There are many who don't need a creator to find meaning in life. Life is self-defined and full of meaning for those who wish to instill meaning into it themselves, without having to rely so much on mythologies.

(Personally, i really really really hope there's no God. I would feel very special (and unique) if i was a result of randomness (cosmically speaking) rather than if someone designed me because they wanted to for their own purpose.)
Old 01-19-2005, 01:02 PM   #54
Refugee

swissair135 - cool it, please. I think you will find the moment you call anyone 'smart guy' and comments of sorts, you are targeting someone directly and personally, and your tone was far from respectful.

Cool it, please.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 01-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #55
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i can hear the Creationists quiver with fear when A_W walks into the room ... you give facts, they respond with "but this is what i believe!" you give proof of evolution, they stammer ask for proof that intelligent design isn't entirely, 100% wrong. and if there is a 1% that cannot be unequivocally disproved, then they use that to reassert their beliefs.

nicely done.
Why congratulate A_W, Irvine? You have added much more to this discussion than him. I say Congrats to YOU!! Creationists may quiver when A_W walks into the room, but they run away squealing like little piggies when you drop by.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Judah, thanks for responding. I understand that we can attach meaning to our lives without considering a creator. I'm talking about meaning that we don't have to attach — a genuine purpose. Something bigger than anything we can attach. (And, to clear things up, my faith isn't based on mythologies.)

You said that you really, really, really hope there is no God because you would feel special and unique if you were the result of radomness. I don't mean this to sound bad, but does that mean you're happy being considered an accident? I'm seriously just wandering. I'm not trying to start a big argument or anything. I just want to understand this point of view. As far as being designed for God's purpose, that's only part of it. As a Christian, I also believe he created me out of love. It's much like your parents having you as a baby. It was done more so out of love than for their own purpose. If God is God, he doesn't need any of us for his purpose, he created us out of love. Maybe that sounds trite to others here, but think about it. Does that make sense?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Hearts

Why congratulate A_W, Irvine? You have added much more to this discussion than him. I say Congrats to YOU!! Creationists may quiver when A_W walks into the room, but they run away squealing like little piggies when you drop by.

no, i fully admit i've added nothing of intellectual value to this thread. i just wanted to pat A_W on the back, as i've done before, because i think he's one smart cookie. i wanted to leave it at that, but i also will not shy away from defending myself when i am attacked personally (instead, attack my arguments! that's why were here!)

can't speak for Creationists "squealing like little piggies" -- don't know where that came from.

let's ignore me, and let's focus on Coemgen's questions. much more interesting.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #58
The Fly

Irvine,

Because most christians are creationists. Your comments were purely intended to flame and provoke other christian members on this board, who have everY right to believe what they will. You will find that the majority of the people in your country believe this story too.. I dont agree with it, but I dont disrespect them on a public message board either.

Again, there is no disrespect directed to anybody on this this thread until you dropped by.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Can you feel the love in tha room? Irvine, as a Chrstian, I don't take offense to anything you said. Let's ALL move on and put our two cents toward something more valuable.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #60
War Child

Irvine,
I agree, let's get back to the discussion. (The 'piggies' line was just a little more sarcasm I added to the fire.) My next post will be on topic, just like my first ones were.