Assisted Suicide - For Children??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Assisted Suicide - For Children???

Belgium considers euthanasia for children

We're already cool with killing kids before they are born. Now, why not after??

How could we possibly say that a child could consent to this?

Old 09-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Re: Assisted Suicide - For Children???

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We're already cool with killing kids before they are born.

"Kids" and "killing" are both completely disputable in that statement. I don't see what this type of inflammatory statement contributes to the discussion of euthanasia at hand.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I would suggest it is equally inflamatory to suggest that it is something else.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Not to the medical and scientific community at large, which does not use those terms. I still don't see how it's related to euthanasia, an entirely separate issue, except to put out the image of slaughtered babies. The only thing missing is something about cloning and murder for stem cells to go full circle.

I work in the 3rd ranked pediatric facility in the world, and you see children who will die today or tomorrow, in great agony and sometimes you wonder why your dog and cat and the laboratory rat in the basement can all die quietly, without pain, while that child suffers. Do I support euthanasia for adults? Yes. For children? I am not sure if I would make a cut off age, but certainly somebody who is 18 is no better equipped at makikng that decision than someone who is 17 years and 10 months old or 17 and a half or whatever. Legally, I've not thought about it much and therefore don't really know exactly where I stand.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I work in the 3rd ranked pediatric facility in the world, and you see children who will die today or tomorrow, in great agony and sometimes you wonder why your dog and cat and the laboratory rat in the basement can all die quietly, without pain, while that child suffers. Do I support euthanasia for adults? Yes. For children? I am not sure if I would make a cut off age, but certainly somebody who is 18 is no better equipped at makikng that decision than someone who is 17 years and 10 months old or 17 and a half or whatever. Legally, I've not thought about it much and therefore don't really know exactly where I stand.
I support this statement fully
Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
If you truly believe this, then we can assume you are equally against the death penalty, manslaughter (as equalling murder in the first degree), killing in self defence and killing by complete accident?

Tell me how your argument isn't flawed. The legal system you are a part of, makes many many allowances. The law is filled with grey. There is no black and white when it comes to ending a life. Arguments for and against any of these issues are seperated by circumstance. Why is pain and suffering and terminal illness so much less acceptable than other circumstances?

We're all equal crusader.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:39 PM

Quote:
Senators Jeannine Leduc and Paul Wille said in the bill that terminally ill children and teenagers had as much right to choose when they wanted to die as anyone else.
I agree with this. The problem is at what age is a kid mature enough to fully understand his/her situation and the consequences of its decision. I think as long as the parents and doctors are involved, it is a positive step.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure where a society is heading when you can have the message "your life may not be worth living".

Can you imagine a child fearing illness because their parents may decide to have them killed?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:37 AM   #9
Jesus Online

you think this topic is summed up in 2 sentences? that it is so black and white? curious.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:43 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not sure where a society is heading when you may be inflicted with a terminal illness which will invariably leave you in great pain for a prolonged period of time...prior to the inevitable.

Can you imagine a child suffering through an illness which slowly delivers them to death and those around the child unable to do anything?

is the answer killing them? i'm not sure. but providing the euthanasia option, with appropriate oversight and provisions, seems much less harsh to me than not.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #11
Jesus Online

I want to ask something which I've wondered about for such a long time now. Everyone is aware of it, yet no one seems to speak of it and that is how every day in hospitals all around the world, life support machines are turned off and patients are left to leave this life quickly. No one bats an eye. No one pickets or complains. There is no media frenzy. These doctors play God and we mourn quietly.

Why?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:39 PM

What exactly is your question, if it's morally right to practise euthanasia?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think she is asking why this act (allowing those who are traumatically and suddenly injured or diseased to be removed from life supporting mechanisms, resulting in death) is not abhorrently protested?

Inherent in the question is the suggestion that these instances are somehow akin to euthanising individuals.

It is an interesting question. I think there is a distinction between the two as, at least in my mind, termination of life support usually follows a sudden onset of illness. In other words the individual is very rapidly taken from one state of consciousness to another much less functional one. Euthanasia, on the other hand, has come to mean the termination of life for those suffering from a longer term illness.

Not sure if that is described sensibly, but I can see a distinction. I guess the termination of life support involves individuals whose state was changed so suddenly and totally that others must decide their fate.

Also, this process can often be a life giving one as organ donorship can occur provided conditions are right and the individual has previously permitted such a procedure. This aspect might improve this method of willful termination of life in the minds of many.

that is all dependant on me having understood the question...
Old 09-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #14
Jesus Online

Yep, that's about it Kobe. Also whether those who are opposed to euthenasia also are against the switching off of life support machines, when this occurs so very often. And without a say from the patient.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:28 AM   #15
Refugee

I think there is a big distinction between life support & euthenasia.

Life support is an added tool to keep someone alive. Without it, they are where they would be naturally in the progression of their illness.

Euthenasia is manipulating a person's natural state.