Ask the volunteer in AFRICA - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Ask the volunteer in AFRICA

Like the title says. I think (although I am not positive) that I might be the only active poster who is living in Africa. And seeing as a lot of information and disinformation seems to pop up as regards this vast continent, I thought I would offer my humble services to answer any questions that I can. Keep in mind that I am living in only one part of a continent that covers thousands of miles, ethnic groups, languages etc. so my responses will be biased towards West Africa. However, I follow the news closely and consider myself pretty well informed as to what is happening on the continent.

Aw bissimilah!

Old 04-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:33 PM
What is a normal day for you?

Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What do you do and who are you representing? (if anyone.)
Old 04-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

What do you think, now that you've been there for so long, are the biggest misconceptions about Africa? And what do you think can be done to change them?

What are the differences between your expectations before you went there and the way things really are?
Old 04-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:33 PM
What do West Africans think of America?
I remember reading about Brad Pitt visiting Ethiopia and he said he met people who had never heard of the US. Is this true with some West Africans?

Where you live, how many ethnic groups, languages spoken, and religious groups are there? Do they get along well?
Old 04-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:33 AM
How do Western portrayals of Africa - particularly in the media - compare to reality? Is the state of the continent not as dire as it would appear, or is the opposite true and it is worse?

And on a different note: what is Internet access like there?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:33 PM
if memory serves me correctly, you're working with the PeaceCorps--has it been a positive experience for you?

if there was one thing you'd like the world to know about Africa, what would it be?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Does the media coverage of Africa portray Africans as too desperate/sad? what I mean is, do you find Africans, despite their obstacles, to be relatively normal people who like to joke around and have a good time? from what I see on the news, Africa is a place where everyone's always sad and desperate.

also, as a true hero (and you are), does Bono bug ya?
Old 04-19-2005, 05:57 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:33 AM
How is it different/same from your childhood home, sulawesi?

foray
Old 04-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Do your parents approve of the work you do? Do they approve of you?

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:33 PM
For how long do you plan to extend your stay

I took a look an the map-- can´t travel right now, but will get away from Europe as soon as I can.

So my map says that there is a train line from Dakar to Bamako (via Bafoulabé and Kita). Later, one could continue to Burkina Faso, there are two streets, one via Bougoun/ Sikasso, the other via Ségou (while we´re at it, should one also see places like San and Mopti?). Both streets then continue to Bobo-Dioulasso in Burkina Faso, and it seems there is a train line from there to Ouagadougou. From Ouagadougou, there seems to be a street to Tamale (Ghana) and Kumasi (probably interesting because Kumasi is an old capital) and then go to Accra (Ghana) per train. Another possibility seems to be Ouagadougou-BoboD-bouake-Abidjan per train, and then continue from Abidjan to Accra via Kumasi.. probably a route more interesting..

In your estimated opinion, is it possible to go through Africa´s large countries per bus and train, do backpackers use them, or would you rather try to find a plane Dakar-Bamako-Ouagadougou-Abidjan-Accra?

Now, from Accra one could continue to go to Togo (Lomé), probably also Nigeria (Lagos), but questionable because of political tension.

Then I would go to East Africa per plane (probably Accra to Addis Abeba), and see Ethiopia. And then see Kenya, esp. Nairobi and Mombasa, probably some national parks.

Are there any African plane lines with special cheap tarriffs in Africa? Or is the price of the African airlines the same?

Just playing with the thought now.. but you know how it is.. when something takes a certain shape

thanks Sula
big to your work

Best Regards!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:33 PM
sulawesigirl14, you may be one of the few posters here who is currently living in Africa, but there are others here who have lived in Africa and who currently have major ties to the Continent.

Plus, each area of Africa is different in perspective and lifestyle, so your experience is unique, but not necessarily comprehensive of the entire African experience.

Please let us know of your responses to the above questions.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Sula,

No questions here, I just wanted to say how much I respect your work. I met you once in Chicago; you're an awesome person!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Then I would go to East Africa per plane (probably Accra to Addis Abeba), and see Ethiopia. And then see Kenya, esp. Nairobi and Mombasa, probably some national parks.
Hiphop, don't forget Tanzania, one of the most peaceful countries in Africa! I was there for the month of January and it was superb! We hiked Kilimanjaro, swam in Lake Victoria, and took a four day safari on the northern park circuit. Here's a dumb webpage I made for a computer project, but if you want to see what parks are there and some pics I took.....

http://www.dutchbingo.net/school/IS153project/

Sorry, back to the point of the thread....
Old 04-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Wow thanks bootleg! Yeah I would probably include the Kilimanjaro.. it must be totally unique. Just took a look at the pictures of Ngorongoro. Serengeti National park is famous too.

So thanks for the suggestion.. I think if I´m really going to Kenya, it might be worth it.., it´s not that far from there.