Ask the upcoming college freshman.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

My piece of advice: be open to change. I went in having known for my entire time in high school exactly what I was going to study and what I wanted to do...or so I thought. I've changed majors five times! I'm happy w/ things now, but I've seen people really beat themselves up b/c they don't want to give up on what they thought they were going to do even though it doesn't work out and a better option comes along.

Best advice on this thread, IMO.

To me, the point of a college isn't to learn a particular skill (at least not at the undergraduate level), but to learn to participate in critical thinking.

I went in after high school with 100% certainty about what I wanted to do. Then I fell in love with everything I tried, and found that choosing just one road and refusing to deviate even an inch would not provide me with the best education possible. After a few years of work, I'm now ready to shift my career - incorporating the old with the new. It's scary, but always leave it an option.

OK, questions:

Do you plan on continuing with a graduate or professional degree after you complete your undergrad?

How do they enforce a dry campus?

Do you plan on continuing with a graduate or professional degree after you complete your undergrad?

How do they enforce a dry campus?

To answer your first question, at this point the foggiest part of my future that I see is what to do immediately after college. I have no idea what I will do. However I'm sure i'll figure that out soon enough.

For your second question, I don't know. I guess I'll find out.

college was not stressful, in fact it was the opposite. i was not in hurry to go around shaking hands with everybody trying to make ton of friends on the first day, i went along with my classes and adjusting to living in the dorms. and before i knew it i met really cool people whom i formed close friendships with.
i went to a pot smoking school in a small town [like literally!!, it's full of hippies, w/o corporate things which meant no wal marts, mcdonalds, starbucks, jamba juice, burger kings etc....being a vegetarian it was no big deal for me] so being someone who does not tolerate drugs [besides coffee, and alcohol] i was a bit nervous about having to be around that stuff.
luckily most of my friends didnt smoke either which was quite rare but it worked very well for me.
probably the weirdest thing for me was having grown up in mexico and san diego where there is obviosuly a strong latino community and in san diego, like most big cities it is quite diverse.
so going up to northern california where it seemd like the population was 98% white was very very strange for me. for the first time i was truly a minority and when i would go to town there was a couple times were townpeople would stare me down and in stores would follow me like i was gonna steal something:angry:... that was defintiely uncomfortable especially cause the last time i stole soemthing was a candybar when i was 7 :reject:...anyway, that was the "difficult" part of college for me....the classes were way easier for me than high school

and yeah be careful with guys..there are a lot of awesome guys who can be great friends but you will encounter those who will be nice to you just to get you to go to bed with them...and unfortunatel a couple girls from my dorms would fall into it and then have the classic drama the following week:down:

hehehe...yeah since i was little i always wanted to work with animals so i was going to major in zoology ever since i could remember....and before the first semester was over i realized that though i love animals it wasnt i really wanted to do so i changed my major to art...which has been my hobby since i can remember. people have always told me im very creative and i never believed it but when i was in college i realized how important creativity and freedom to express myself was to me and i knew i wanted to major in art.

Techie2000 said:
What if your roommate happens to be a hardcore Republican?

haha that should be the last of her conerns. the biggest deal is that the person be rather tidy and respectful of u2democrats possessions! everything else freshman year of college is seconday! :wink:

Are you going to write for you college newspaper? It could probably use some excellent political coverage. You can prove that young people do care about politics and social issues. And you've proved on this site that you can write a cohesive sentence.

Sieze all the opportunities offered! I once gave up the chance to intern at the mayo clinic over the summer:tsk:

I don't know that I would have enjoyed it being that I'd already disliked my major (just wasn't willing to change i.e getting behind and cost etc)

It still would have been a great learninig experience but I wanted to go home see friends and get to a U2 concert

This is a cautionary tale told by a slacker with a mostly useless degree:|

I'm sure you'll stay focused and do quite well!

are you looking forward to meeting college guys?

i remember when i got to university it was the first time that guys actually treated me like a girl, offering to hold the door open for me, giving up their seat for me, stuff like that. before then, i had never realized that the guys at my high school were such boors.

maybe my question should be: are you glad to be rid of high school boys?

by the way, college is not ALL about the boys!

:shifty:

Golightly Grrl said:
Are you going to write for you college newspaper? It could probably use some excellent political coverage. You can prove that young people do care about politics and social issues. And you've proved on this site that you can write a cohesive sentence.

I probably will, but not freshman year. I want to focus on getting adjusted first.

lmjhitman said:
are you looking forward to meeting college guys?

i remember when i got to university it was the first time that guys actually treated me like a girl, offering to hold the door open for me, giving up their seat for me, stuff like that. before then, i had never realized that the guys at my high school were such boors.

maybe my question should be: are you glad to be rid of high school boys?

by the way, college is not ALL about the boys!

:shifty:

Actually, i just got back from orientation, I made SO many new friends, and they were all guys! It was wonderful, I'm so glad to have met people of the male species who respect and like me. :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom