ask the turkish guy! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
is "all i want is you" your favorite U2 song?

if not, what is?
oh i was just listening to that like crazy when i registered, so i couldnt really think of anything better. and my favorites always change depending on my mood.. right now, i am digging AB, so wild horses is in heavy rotation.

but one song i would NEVER give up in U2 catalogue is stay. it is quite personal to me and i think its such a special song.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 06:18 PM
What is your take on the current depiction of Turkish people on '24'?

I know there has been some very negative reactions from the Turkish American community, but I almost feel like leaders within the community feel obligated to stand up to a perceived stereo-type even if they don't believe it is present on '24' specifically.

In reality, without the weight of having to use a "political" response, what are your personal feelings about the way Turkish people are portrayed in media today?

Old 03-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #18
Refugee

firstly, i am a huge fan of 24, i never miss an episode. best action on Tv today. and i do think our 'prime minister' in S2 was just hilarious (oh that goatee )

i was a bit concerned when it started off saying 'oh we're getting some weird computer codes from turkey'.. i was thinking.. ok, when did we cross over to cyber terrorism all of a sudden? and we use latin alphabet so it is pretty hard to confuse it with arabic as well.

on the other hand i think the last thing turkey needs is bad publicity. so i was quite concerned.

as this last season progressed it is now quite obvious that it has nothing to do with turkey specifically, and the names of the characters are not turkish either, and they never really talked in turkish all throughout the season. and turkey is not really known for its homegrown internationally known terrorist talents either, except for that guy who shot pope at one time, so i think whats the point of actually including in the plot? it doesnt add any value or credibility to the story. i dunno why they decided to use something like this, but i see it as an unnecessary thing to do.

about the media, i resent the perception they give that turkey is just some other middle eastern country. cause we are pretty different and it is quite easy for foreign media to dismiss any of our actions based on whatever perception they have. most of the time, they dont try to understand the delicacies of such a unique country, cause its a lot easier just to write something negative about it. you cant really know or understand a country until you see it with your own eyes. the media, for the most part, sees it the way they want to see it. and you see us, through their eyes.

i think there is a big failure on our part, for not being able to explain ourselves as much as we should have, and we just dont have the lobbying power armenians or greeks have in the US, so we cant really do a lot politically. but i am very shocked at some of the things that are written on my country by people who have never been here and dont really know whats going on.

actually, that makes me think.. i dont know so much about how we are perceived by some of you guys, and id really be interested to know, what your perception of turkey is, as well.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:18 AM
What is your opinion of the situation over Cyprus?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #20
The Fly

"24" is an AMAZING show, the best on TV by far. I haven’t missed an episode yet. All 4 seasons have been edge of your seat amazing.

Regrettably, as a Canadian with Irish heritage, I expect that my perceptions were incorrectly based around what I see and hear in North American media.

In Canada, the Turkish community has a level of solidarity that perhaps isn't as strong in the US. Most cultural and ethnically diverse communities have a strong representation by all its members. Cultural groups lobby and are heard by most levels of government, and there is a general acceptance of all backgrounds within most communities. Acceptance is different than understanding though. That being said, media/stereo type based perception is still a large hurdle for some Canadians to see beyond. Prejudice is prejudice and like everywhere else, some people have a tough time accepting those things which they know nothing about.

I am glad that I happened upon this post, as it has given me a new perspective.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What is your opinion of the situation over Cyprus?
i think we were right to go in there in 1974, cause the turkish cypriots were being killed by the fanatics backed by the greek junta at the time. there was a lot of killing going on, on both sides of the island, and meanwhile the greeks were trying to overtake the island as a whole. we moved in and secured the north. it was the right decision to make at the time.

today, i believe these people should be brought back together. a new country in the form of a federation of equals should be setup and cyprus should be united. and last year, in may, actually the turkish side voted FOR the unification, while the greeks voted against it. if the greeks dont want to unify, they should probably stop harrassing the north about it. also, i think it is rather unfair that northern cyprus is still subject to embargos because of a decision that was made by the other party. now, this was a UN crafted plan, no one came up with a better one, and it was rejected. i think it will be a while before cypriots will have any other chance to unite their country.

so, id say, remove the embargos and let the people in the north breathe a bit. they did all they could.

so thats my opinion.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
and turkey is not really known for its homegrown internationally known terrorist talents either
Great bit of writing, that...interesting post.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Are there discos in Turkey ?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:45 AM   #24
Refugee

What is the difference between a turkish bath and a russian bath?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:52 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Well, it's morning in the States and I just found this thread! I can't say anything that AIW hasn't said. I'll comment on something Turkish I'm very fond of, the food! It's like many other Turkish things, it came out of the cooking that was done in the kitchens of the Ottoman Sultans. It's great, especially the pastries and the Feta cheese! Turkey is a crossroads, many people have come in and influenced them, their great poet, Mevlana, could write poetry in four languages. When the Sumerians were discovering agricultural stuff between the Tigris and Euphrates people were living in what is now Turkey, too. It's such a fascinating place and that's why I can't wait to go, and I was even willing to give up a U2 show if I had to pick between it and a trip to Turkey. I got lucky and didn't have to pick.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:19 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:18 AM
is that mahir 'i kiss you' guy still famous?

if you don't know what i'm talking about, then:

http://www.ikissyou.org/
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
Are there discos in Turkey ?
yep, there are discos. the coasts and especially istanbul has a rather vibrant nightlife.

as for the difference between russian and turkish baths.. i cant say, cause i dont really know enough about russian baths to actually make a comparison.

and for the mahir question, he was never as famous in turkey as he was internationally. so if he isnt BIG on the international scene anymore, which i dont think he is, he isnt so famous anymore
Old 03-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Why is your day of independence on the same day when our stock market crashed?

(not the same year)
Old 03-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Why is your day of independence on the same day when our stock market crashed?

(not the same year)
we were there first
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You've mentioned being a fan of "24."

Can you bring me to light about the rivalry I sense between fans of 24 and CSI?

It seems those who like 24 hate CSI and vice versa.