Ask the Taoist Christian who believes in string-theory - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 03:07 AM
My husband is a Taoist and I find that much of the Taoist philosophy (doctrine) directly applies to me. Until recently I followed no organized religious congregations. Last year I joined a Unitarian church and I have forever changed. The services are moving and everyone there is tolerant and welcoming of others' religious philosophies.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:07 AM
taoism just makes sense....it isn't something that is radical...let me find some moving passages....thanks for sharing RosieHS

Old 03-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:07 AM
I liked how you linked Jesus' "like a child" teachings with Lao Tzu's. My question is - do your Christian beliefs ever contradict with your Taoist beliefs? If so, what are some examples?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #19
Refugee

"Who can (make) the muddy water (clear)? Let it be still, and it will gradually become clear. Who can secure the condition of rest? Let movement go on, and the condition of rest will gradually arise."

how true!

no, i have yet to contradictions...i have found complications that one must work out on their own
Old 03-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #20
Refugee

"Thus it is that a great state, by condescending to small states, gains them for itself; and that small states, by abasing themselves to a great state, win it over to them. In the one case the abasement leads to gaining adherents, in the other case to procuring favour."

Jesus said: "So you want first place? Then take the last place."
Old 03-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 03:07 AM

True words are not fancy.
Fancy words are not true.
The good do not debate.
Debaters are not good.
The one who really knows is not broadly learned,
The extensively learned do not really know.
The sage does not hord,
She gives people her surplus.
Giving her surplus to others she is enriched.

The way of Heaven is to help and not harm.

-Tao Te Ching
-Lao Tzu
-translation by Charles Muller circa 1991
Old 03-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #22
Refugee

isn't it amazing how the tao just slowly creeps along and hits you? those words are so true, so beautiful, and so inspirational
Old 03-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RosieHS
My husband is a Taoist and I find that much of the Taoist philosophy (doctrine) directly applies to me. Until recently I followed no organized religious congregations. Last year I joined a Unitarian church and I have forever changed. The services are moving and everyone there is tolerant and welcoming of others' religious philosophies.
Sorry to go a bit off topic bepoet, but i'll get back to you {yopu might even enjoy part odf my thoughts here}....Rosie tell me a little bit more about how you're finding the Unitatrian churh. I'm very slowly considering the thought of going to one.

I'm an ex-Catholic/Christian in that I haven't beleived in a long time that Christ is "the Son of God" as they teach it. And i gave up The Church for other reasons as well in my late teens.
To me it's become more like Jesus developed a 'pipeline' [the metaphore is useful as you'll see for my explaination] to [some of the names other than <stereotypically picture of God>]- The Source/ The Power/ Ground Of All Being/ Infinite Loving Creation/ etc that had less obsticles in it that many of us still have. Thus his miracles derive from the Source, but as Zen Buddhism would say are not the main point, but the Love & Compassion that he manifested are. The other stuff is a periphial.

He is a son of God {or the term The Godhead} just the way all men are and all women are daughters of God {The Godhead}.

And having been exposed as a child to other religions through stories & Art/Crafts of Native Americans/ Africans and the Japaneese I absorbed a big dose of Aninmism by sheer osmosis, sinse this was often present in the stories amd some art. There was nothing to counter it, so to speak. Plus I had a great proffesor in College who taugh both Social Change through Non-violence & World Religion in our school. I took both of those classes.

ANd I'm also have always been intersted in the Sciences.

So I describe myself now as a Quantum-Animist-New Ager
do ya think Rosie there just might be a little space for me at my local UU Church?

And bepoet...

Oh...? Hawkins' dosen't beleive in String Theory?
I just read [don't remember where] an article that more physistists are being to really question ST these days.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:30 AM   #24
Refugee

hawkins from what i understand believes in quantum physics...it seems that the tide is with M-theory (string theory)
Old 03-27-2005, 03:31 AM   #25
Refugee

then again, i'm not a physicist (nor am i sure i just spelt that word correctly)
Old 03-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Hyperspace is a really easy and fun read; I couldn't put it down.

blueeyedpoet:

Regarding string theory, define "string" please. I still haven't grasped this bit. Is it a 'string' of vibration/waves, or what.

foray
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 AM   #27
Refugee

sounds like you understand....they are so tiny....atomne string :: earth:a single tree in central park
Old 03-28-2005, 01:52 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Hyperspace is a really easy and fun read; I couldn't put it down.

blueeyedpoet:

Regarding string theory, define "string" please. I still haven't grasped this bit. Is it a 'string' of vibration/waves, or what.

foray
We are made up of atoms, atoms in turn are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. Protons and Neutrons are made up of quarks. When considering the most basic parts of the universe we can consider them to be single point particles ~ or we can consider them to be one dimensional, String theory is a way of describing these things in terms of them being strings ~ and it can do quite well in predicting and modelling behaviour of certain particles but the formulations are still perturbative and there is no definitive experiment to prove or disprove Strings as the model because we are dealing with impossibly small to measure scales. Certainly investigation has yielded some very complex and useful mathematical tools but right now it lacks the experiments and observations that support theories like General Relativity or Quantum Mechanics ~ even though string theory s considered to quite possibly be how to reconcile the often contradictary nature of those two seemingly valid theories and their scales.

A string is a one dimensional object that vibrates, they can be considered open (i.e. a straight line that would be like | ) or closed (closed line becomes a loop O ), these strings vibrate ~ they can only vibrate in specific ways and that ties in with harmonic oscillation ~ and it is these vibrations and the way that the string behaves that determines it's properties and what type of thing it is.

a handy reference site: http://superstringtheory.com/
Old 03-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 AM   #30
Refugee

that face is not supposed to be there...i forgot that sometimes certain marks make faces....i'm just doing an analogy..thanks for the better elaboration aw.....i'm so tired right now...just got back from SD show.....the spirit/tao/god/jah was in the house tonight!