ask the Southerner - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:16 AM
ask the Southerner

Would you like to ask someone from the U.S. South a question? Would you like to know what it's like to live here? What's it like to be a liberal in a conservative environment? Fire away!
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:16 AM
I can also help out answering these questions, if you don't mind Verte...though you're more deep south. I'm up here in the capital of the Confederacy The heart of stars and bars country

I have a question for you though...do you know if any of your relatives fought for the Confederacy?
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
snowbunny00774's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: londonontario
Posts: 12,298
Local Time: 12:16 AM
do you guys drink mint juleps?
__________________
snowbunny00774 is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I can also help out answering these questions, if you don't mind Verte...though you're more deep south. I'm up here in the capital of the Confederacy The heart of stars and bars country

I have a question for you though...do you know if any of your relatives fought for the Confederacy?
Yes. One of my great-grandfathers was a Captain in the Confederate Army. He had the loyalty of everyone in the family until my mother grew up and started questioning the whole thing. None of my siblings or myself were impressed with the guy. We think the Confederacy was one big treasonous adventure.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:16 PM
Is it true that some southerners view the movie "Deliverance" as a love story?

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76


Yes. One of my great-grandfathers was a Captain in the Confederate Army. He had the loyalty of everyone in the family until my mother grew up and started questioning the whole thing. None of my siblings or myself were impressed with the guy. We think the Confederacy was one big treasonous adventure.
Interesting...one of my great-grandfathers was also a captain in the Confederate army. I had a lot of relatives who fought for the south.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Is it true that some southerners view the movie "Deliverance" as a love story?

dbs



No...but one time I did go in a canoe on a river much like the one in Deliverance in Kentucky...thankfully there was no pig squealing involved

I did know people with moonshine though
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I did know people with moonshine though
You knew my Dad?!



__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
meegannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Constituents used to send moonshine to one of the Kentucky Congressmen (not the one I worked for...though we got bourbon balls).
__________________
meegannie is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:16 AM
mmmm bourbon balls...one thing I miss about Kentucky
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Is it true that some southerners view the movie "Deliverance" as a love story?

dbs
Yeah, they're pretty romantic about the whole thing. My grandmother was. She was Scarlett O'Hara come back to life. Oh, and my brother, his wife and my niece took a canoe ride on the river once. It was a disaster. They were out until 2 in the morning getting out of there. Whew!
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat


Interesting...one of my great-grandfathers was also a captain in the Confederate army. I had a lot of relatives who fought for the south.
So did I.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 03:16 PM
Is fried food really popular in the South, as the media would have us all believe?
Do utes with confederate flags really exist, and do rednecks actually hoon around with guns while riding in them?

If you're thinking my questions are horrible stereotypes, they are. I'm really keen to know what is true (or has elements of truth at least) and what is just bogus.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
do you guys drink mint juleps?
I don't. There used to be some lady on the next street who sat on her porch, drinking mint juleps. The things sound horrid. I hate hard liquor.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Is fried food really popular in the South, as the media would have us all believe?
Do utes with confederate flags really exist, and do rednecks actually hoon around with guns while riding in them?

If you're thinking my questions are horrible stereotypes, they are. I'm really keen to know what is true (or has elements of truth at least) and what is just bogus.
Fried food is very popular here. I love it! Especially fried chicken and fried fish. Also the fried green tomatoes Fannie Flag wrote about. The Whistlestop cafe is about three blocks from the studio I do my artwork at. And yes, I see guys driving around in trucks plastered with confederate flags holding guns. It's scary, I always hope they don't want to shoot me! Man, you don't mess with those guys! I'd hate to be the cops! While you are getting at stereotypes, I've seen these things, so they're not a figment of your imagination. It's not bogus, but it's not really that common. Most Southerners just drive around in cars with no Confederate flags on them, and no guns, minding their own business.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com