ask the Southerner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's right. That all sounds so great, and the pictures found by google are just delishious, I could go and get something to eat. :)

But I rather should go to bed.

I try to remember that I don't ask for grits with lox right away. :)
I like it with hot sherries. :drool:

Ormus said:

Quite frankly, it's this quality that has long made me suspect of any "happy" Southerner. It has never worked on me, and this "Northerner" can certainly be quite rude back in an equally snarky way.

After I left the South and moved to NYC, when I'd visit my hometown again people would always refer to me as, "Oh, you're so & so's youngest daughter, the Yankee" and then with a big friendly smile on their face say, "Is that how they dress up there now?" It was always such a blatant "fuck you and your Northern uppity self and your city clothes" but when I'd point it out later to my family, they absolutely denied it and always said "oh, they're just bein' frien'ly." Frien'ly my ass. And I really don't want to stereotype but I had this experience so many times over the years it's unbelievable. But this small rural town isn't necessarily representative of all of the South, or even of Virginia, but it's definitely a prevalent attitude throughout the South, in my experience. And I hate it.

Last edited:
I just pictured the movie 'Sweet Home Alabama' in myhead after reading that post. Seen the movie many times before, but saw the first 30 minutes of it again the other night. I was in S.Carolina for all of 3 days total back in '97. Couldn't believe tons of things were closed on a Sunday :|

^ :lol: the liquor stores here are closed on Sunday, 20 miles from downtown Atlanta. Anyway, Bisquits and gravy and grits are fucking amazing! :drool: :drool: and chicken and dumplings especially my mom's and fried green tomatoes too.

oh i had the scariest drive of my life this weekend. i took 460 from one end of VA to the other. Every billboard was telling me to turn to Jesus. northern va is a completely different state than southern va.

Is it true your gas is cheaper b/c you're so close to the oil rigs? When we went down to Fort Morgan, we were told the gas would be cheaper, since you can see all the oil rigs just standing on shore, but it was only about 10 cents per gallon cheaper.

joyfulgirl said:
After I left the South and moved to NYC, when I'd visit my hometown again people would always refer to me as, "Oh, you're so & so's youngest daughter, the Yankee" and then with a big friendly smile on their face say, "Is that how they dress up there now?" It was always such a blatant "fuck you and your Northern uppity self and your city clothes" but when I'd point it out later to my family, they absolutely denied it and always said "oh, they're just bein' frien'ly." Frien'ly my ass. And I really don't want to stereotype but I had this experience so many times over the years it's unbelievable. But this small rural town isn't necessarily representative of all of the South, or even of Virginia, but it's definitely a prevalent attitude throughout the South, in my experience. And I hate it.
My next oldest brother, who's lived in Philadelphia for years now, feels the same way about going back to MS to visit anyone--he says he always gets that kind of attitude from people and won't put up with it anymore. Now he's somewhat of a prickly and easily offended sort, so I have to admit I sometimes suspect he's overdrawing things a bit, but it absolutely does happen and I've heard lots of "ex"-Southerners complain about this. I think he maybe gets it worse than the rest of us because he'd moved away to go to college before our whole family moved, so he doesn't get the "pass" my mother, my younger siblings and I tend to on account of people feeling sorry for us because my father died and that's why we had to move, etc. ...or my oldest brother, who also moved away for college, but now he lives in North Carolina, so he's "okay". :rolleyes: I got a little of that from some people the first time I went back to visit friends (this was when we lived in NYC)--comments that hinted maybe I was 'putting on airs' and so forth, basically just teasing stuff, but occasionally with a bite. Apparently the Midwest doesn't have quite the same automatic-presumed-pretentiousness factor though, because I haven't gotten that kind of reaction much on trips back since moving out here. But it's not like my family had been in MS for generations, and realistically in some ways we were already sort of 'marginal' anyhow, so maybe that makes for less nasty grudges. Not sure.

I guess in some ways this goes hand-in-hand with the wariness towards "outsiders" I mentioned to Irvine earlier--if you "voluntarily" join them, well that's just outright betrayal, and my aren't you all full of yourself now, blah blah blah. But, even out here in small towns you get some of that--judgmental attitudes towards anyone associated with certain areas of the country (with NYC and California usually topping the list). When a colleague of mine and her husband moved out here and settled in a nearby small town, one of their earliest experiences was driving around the area trying to get their bearings (in their beat-up compact car with 'artsy' bumper stickers and CA license plate), and some stupid rednecks--we've got them here too, just not the kind with Southern accents and Rebel Flags--pulled up next to them in their pickup, yelled "Heeeeey Califoooorn-yuh!!!" and threw an open bucket of paint at their car. I've also had a couple friends originally from NYC who moved out here report that some of their friends and family ream on them for moving away from 'Civilization' into the pathetic wasteland that apparently is non-coastal America. And maybe you've never encountered this sort of thing, but especially in academia, if you've got a pronounced Southern accent, and particularly if you're a white man, you'll get the most ridiculous trigger reactions from people sometimes (or more likely, hear about them from others, as they won't say it to your face--'Yankee chivalry' as a friend of mine wryly put it).

Not trying to say "Oh it's all just the same thing :happy: !", I know it isn't, the 'uppity, pretentious' thing is a distinctly Southern pejorative and I've certainly seen it in action. I'm maybe just a little more cynical (or should I say bitter, lol) than you are about just how much of an 'escape' anywhere else has to offer. Even though I could never go back, either. But yes it's painful when people you grew up with and are glad to see, seem to need to spit in your face first before deigning to visit with you. Kind of an inferiority complex and a superiority complex all wrapped up in one, as they tend to do.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

:shocked: It was $3.66 yesterday and it's not even the holiday weekend yet!

dayuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! that's unreal. and then, if i go to a kroger gas station, i get like an extra 10c/gallon discount.

do you have Sheetz? I don't recall seeing any in Indiana or Chicago...I'm wondering if Sheetz is a southern thang.

unico said:

dayuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! that's unreal. and then, if i go to a kroger gas station, i get like an extra 10c/gallon discount.

do you have Sheetz? I don't recall seeing any in Indiana or Chicago...I'm wondering if Sheetz is a southern thang.

I paid $3.51 over the weekend here. there's a BP near our apt that tends to be a few cents cheaper than the others. I haven't filled up since then, I'm afraid to look at the prices. some are already in the $3.60s. I've heard of Sheetz but don't think I've seen one around here.

Sheetz is basically a Mid-Atlantic/Upper South thing only, although I think I've seen them in Ohio.

Out here gas is running around $3.25.

yolland said:

Kind of an inferiority complex and a superiority complex all wrapped up in one, as they tend to do.

I've described it in exactly these terms many times! People in my hometown seem to like me better now that I live in the Southwest, which is just a foreign and unfamiliar place to them which somehow doesn't seem to threaten them as much as NYC because even though most of them have never been to NY, they know they're genetically encoded to hate them damn Yankees, especially the ones who are ex-Southerners. Interestingly, they also hate the richest family in town who are very sophisticated and love to go to the theatre in NYC every year. The nerve!

And you're right, every place is going to have its quirks and biases, but I do connect with the Southwest and the people here, and I find there is much more of a live-and-let-live attitude, perhaps in part because of all the transplanted New Yorkers living here but also because that's kind of the spirit of the West anyway.

We are currently paying $7.32 per gallon here in Germany. Holidays aren't the only reason. It is also the huge demand by the US and China that leads to high oil prices in Europe.

Germany and Bavaria is more like a fun thing, although there are people who take it pretty serious, but what you guys have with Southerners and Yankees really is bizarre. :ohmy:

Gas here today is $3.04. About 3-4 years ago or so it was $1.00, I can't believe it.

It's terrible to go to my mom's vacation house at the beach in South Carolina near Hilton Head 350 miles away and spend that much on gas, all the way there gas was around $3.00 a gallon.

There was a smilie :) gas station in S.C and I thought I saw a Loves :heart: gas station too.

I've never seen a Sheetz station around here. There's a Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Kroger, BP, Quicktrip, Racetrack, Chevron, Texaco, Shell stations and more around here.

unico said:
oh i had the scariest drive of my life this weekend. i took 460 from one end of VA to the other. Every billboard was telling me to turn to Jesus.

Yeah, there's a billboard close to where I live that says "PREPARE TO MEET GOD" It scares the crap put of me every time I see it because I think I'm gonna slam into a semi or something, haha.

I've been following this thread with interest but never thought to contribute since I grew up in Orlando, which is pretty much where Florida as '"southern" state ends.

Still, even as un-southern as central Florida may have been it was southern enough for me. . .I experienced the "rebel" flags, the school friends with racist parents, I guess a lot of the negative aspects of living in the south and as a result I confess I don't have much affection for the southern U.S. Despite the progress that's been made with desegregation and all that I never want to live in the South. I don't even like driving from Ohio (where my wife's folks live) to Florida because my wife and I get a lot of stares and dirty looks when we stop at gas stations and what not (She's white and I'm black).

I do like grits though. . .

When I was in college I'd do the 19 hour drive from southwest Michigan to Orlando a couple of times a year and I remember that the speed traps were the worst and the gas the cheapest in Georgia. You could find gas for 79 cents a gallon back in the early 90's. I don't know what the prices run along I-75 in Georgia today.

I think it's unquestionably true that black-white couples are more likely to encounter people, especially white people, who are wary through to openly hostile towards them in the South than anywhere else. Out of all the black and white Southerners I've known, from Mississippi and elsewhere, I can only think of one, a white friend from Itta Bena, who married, in his case, a black woman; they now live in DC, which has more black-white couples than any other metro area in the country. There are, in fact, more interracial married/cohabiting couples in the South than any other region except the Far West (I'm including HI and AK in 'Far West'), but as with the segregation thing, unfortunately that doesn't mean lower likelihood of encountering people who have a problem with it--and the Southern variety of racist is typically the least inhibited about showing it to your face.

I couldn't ever go back to Mississippi myself; there are some places in the South I'd consider, but I can completely understand people who found the race relations spectrum too much to abide, the in-your-face bigots and so on...I don't on the whole have positive associations with being a Jew there either, but that's much more of a mixed bag. That said, most of my hometown black friends still live there and seem to be as deeply attached to the place as anyone else, mostly because for all its fault lines and insularity and violent past, it still feels like home to them, I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom