ask the Southerner - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #91
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 PM

Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
(I will acknowledge that, for example, the "Southern charm" stereotype sometimes allows you to get away with being quite rude to someone's face without them really realizing it, which can have its uses).
Done that.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #93
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:31 PM
It really is scary the extent to which perceptions of 'what Americans are like' abroad are often influenced by television shows which were never meant to be 'realistic' in the first place.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:31 PM
i fly to Dallas on Sunday evening and will be filming in the city as well as all over some of the more northern, very rural counties. will report back on all the stereotypes i have either confirmed or subverted.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by DILETTANTE

Somewhere I have a cookbook called something like "How to Eat like a Southerner -- and Live to Tell About It". And Paul Prudhomme's sister wrote a low-fat Cajun cookbook. Just in case any of y'all need a few helpful hints!

Also, for you NOVA folks -- Southern accents are alive and well in many parts of DC -- but those are the parts that people who live in NOVA tend to overlook in their travels.....

(I grew up in DC and never realized that I had a Southern accent until I went to college in Connecticut..... )
DC is funny, because deep-Southerners insist it's not true south, and anyone from Pennsylvania and above insist it's a southern town.

The Mason-Dixon line, which is the Maryland-Pennsylvania border, is technically the line between north and south. I grew up in Maryland, and I have that Maryland twang (at least a little bit) still.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Texas to me is regionalized as well.
DFW to Wichita Falls area is similar to Kansas and Oklahoma, where it could be seen as much midwest or southwest as southern.

Down by Houston seems much more southern to me (culturally), I think BVS would shed more light onto that for sure.

West Texas is more like Arizona than say, Georgia by a mile.

It's funny how some view Texas or the part of country I live in but then I think about how I feel about the northeast culturally, which is complete ignorance. I know the stereotypes of NYC and Boston, even Philly. I wouldn't pretend for a second any of that shit was accurate. At least not since I got older and wised up a bit.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]Also, for you NOVA folks -- Southern accents are alive and well in many parts of DC -- but those are the parts that people who live in NOVA tend to overlook in their travels.....[/q]

where are these parts? the only people i know with southern accents are southern transplants.

that said, there is a very clear Maryland accent -- they don't say "on" they say "o-ah-n" and other such things.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

that said, there is a very clear Maryland accent -- they don't say "on" they say "o-ah-n" and other such things.
They say it like that in SOVA, too.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #99
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
i fly to Dallas on Sunday evening and will be filming in the city as well as all over some of the more northern, very rural counties. will report back on all the stereotypes i have either confirmed or subverted.

You'll have to tell me all about it, I lived in Dallas for about 6 years. Interesting place, loved it but wouldn't ever live there again.

You'll see a lot of $25,000 millionaires and big hair.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 PM
No, Texas isn't a southern state. I've always thought of it was the "West". Ditto Oklahoma. People talk in southern accents there. George Bush has a Texas accent. I don't know why since he grew up in Connecticut. Kentucky is a border state. Virginia has a huge influx of Yankees in it arouond Washington.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #101
The Fly

Quote:
[q]Also, for you NOVA folks -- Southern accents are alive and well in many parts of DC -- but those are the parts that people who live in NOVA tend to overlook in their travels.....[/q]

where are these parts? the only people i know with southern accents are southern transplants.

Try Petworth, Riggs (I'm not sure if this neighborhood has another name), the Georgia Avenue corridor, or Anacostia, or any of a number of NW neighborhoods East (?) of Rock Creek Park. Many DC natives have parents or grandparents who moved up to DC from the South, and those are the accents that we grew up with. Also, lots of us have different accents that change a bit. What we sound like when we're excited might sound more "southern" than what we sound like when we're making a presentation at work.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #102
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

DC is funny, because deep-Southerners insist it's not true south, and anyone from Pennsylvania and above insist it's a southern town.

The Mason-Dixon line, which is the Maryland-Pennsylvania border, is technically the line between north and south. I grew up in Maryland, and I have that Maryland twang (at least a little bit) still.
I think that the argument for DC's "Southern" identity can be made on both sides. Wasn't it JFK who called DC a city of "Northern charm and Southern efficiency"? Ouch!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DILETTANTE

I think that the argument for DC's "Southern" identity can be made on both sides. Wasn't it JFK who called DC a city of "Northern charm and Southern efficiency"? Ouch!
When Carter was President, much was made about DC being a Southern city. Geographically it's southern, but it has the politics of a big northern city, I don't know that much about the place, to be honest. I've only been there three times, each time just for a few days. The only thing I remember from my visits is the newspapers. I was there during the Iran-Contra scandal and everyone was talking about it. I saw alot of politicians and lawyers.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
No, Texas isn't a southern state. I've always thought of it was the "West". Ditto Oklahoma. People talk in southern accents there. George Bush has a Texas accent. I don't know why since he grew up in Connecticut. Kentucky is a border state. Virginia has a huge influx of Yankees in it arouond Washington.

The line in Kentucky is drawn somewhere between Lexington and Louisville. Lexington is a very southern town, I lived there 8 years. Louisville is definitely a midwestern city.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #105
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:31 PM
^ Just from having driven through KY lots of times, that sounds about right. A friend of mine teaches at Berea College and I've visited him there a couple times, really interesting place--seems to have the feel of a mountain town, even though that's really only the foothills there. Appalachia is a region I'd love to know more about; my oldest brother's lived in a small town outside Asheville for many years now, so I've learned a little that way. Totally different environment from western MS, certainly.

One thing I've noticed living in the Midwest for more than a decade now is that Midwesterners hardly ever seem to think about 'being Midwestern,' and typically don't have that much to say if you ask them about it. More so than Americans of almost any other region, I think. Not to fuel a stereotype, but I do think it's commonly true about Southerners that they live more intimately with the past (for better and for worse) than Americans of any other region, so it's interesting to me to live someplace now where 'local tradition' is invoked so casually and nonchalantly, even though a sense of it certainly exists. No one likes to be reduced to a handful of overdrawn stereotypes, but on the other hand for many of us it's impossible to discuss your own experiences meaningfully without engaging them.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης