ask the Southerner - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
questions for verte:

Are you basically pretty happy living there, or do you dream of living somewhere else?

If you did move away, what (other than friends and family) do you suppose you would miss the most?

Was Dukes of Hazzard hugely popular there back in the day? (It was where I grew up--partly because everyone enjoyed laughing their asses off at how ridiculous some of the stereotypes were, but also partly because it was a big deal just to see Southerners represented on television for a change.)
Oh, I've definitely dreamed of living somewhere else. My sisters do live somewhere else, Brooklyn. I think they're happier there. One sister is a dancer and she didn't really have any opportunities here, she had to leave. If you're going to do anything in the arts you really have to leave and go to a bigger city. We don't have any big cities, except for Atlanta. I'd miss my art studio and the quiet here. Everyone else is here. My brother lived in Rome during his first marriage, and he was a fish out of water there. He missed Birmingham. So now he's married again and happily lives here. He's had the chance to move and doesn't want to. I love Atlanta, but it's too busy. The last time I was there, to see U2, I got into all of these maddening traffic jams. Sure we have traffic jams but not as many or as big. The last time I was in New York you could barely drive without someone running into you. It's just too big. But I'd like to live somewhere else, so I could do something with my art.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774
When U2 played in Atlanta, what was the song they played before they came out?
City of Blinding Lights. Very appropriate for Atlanta.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:34 AM
what is your favorite southern stereotype that is also (in general) true?

what is your least favorite southern stereotype that is also (in general) true?

what is your favorite southern stereotype that is (in general) untrue?

what is your least favorite southern stereotype that is (in general) untrue?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #34
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Hospitable, socially generous, tolerant of 'quirkiness'.
Quote:
This is more of a rural Southern stereotype really, but insularity and wariness towards "outsiders" (despite the aforementioned hospitability and generosity).
Quote:
That most Southerners are perennially relaxed, mellow, easygoing types who couldn't get agitated if their lives depended on it.
Quote:
That most white Southerners, especially working-class ones with strong accents, are ignorant, bigoted, and totally clueless about how people elsewhere think and act.

This would be an interesting question to hear from people from other regions about also...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
This would be an interesting question to hear from people from other regions about also...

i'm happy to do one ... how about an, "Ask the person from Bos-NY-Wash (home to nearly 40m people)," or more easily, "Ask the northesten corridor resident." i feel qualified because my father's family is from Boston, my mother's from New York (Brooklyn), i grew up in CT equidistant between the two, went to a rural New England college, have had friends who've lived or gone to school in some of the minor east coast cities (Providence, Portland, New Haven), currently live in Washington, and have even visited Philadelphia.

and i've seen U2 in all the aforementioned cities -- Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC.

and i've forwarded your answers to Memphis to see what his reaction will be.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Do you see Southern Baptists with an inclusive or exclusive theology?

dbs
Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #37
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
i'm happy to do one ... how about an, "Ask the person from Bos-NY-Wash (home to nearly 40m people)," or more easily, "Ask the northesten corridor resident." i feel qualified because my father's family is from Boston, my mother's from New York (Brooklyn), i grew up in CT equidistant between the two, went to a rural New England college, have had friends who've lived or gone to school in some of the minor east coast cities (Providence, Portland, New Haven), currently live in Washington, and have even visited Philadelphia.

and i've forwarded your answers to Memphis to see what his reaction will be.
Perhaps just "Ask the New Englander"? Broad, I know, but then "Ask the Southerner" is really pretty broad too...I mean I wouldn't have much to offer if people started asking me about e.g. Appalachian regional culture, 'Low Country' culture, etc.

Now I'm wondering if Memphis will perhaps nail me on my answer to the first one ...it's hard to find a way to get at the qualities I had in mind there without possibly coming across as saying "tolerant of 'diversity' " or "open-minded"--which while not categorically untrue, certainly, is not a way I'd characterize the South compared to other regions.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

what's a "cracker"?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #39
The Fly

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Question -- Do southerners (in general) dislike Califonians? If so, why?

I ask because I visited northern Florida recently, and I was asked in a whisper, "I hear your from California....."
Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Do you see Southern Baptists with an inclusive or exclusive theology?

dbs
Very exclusive. They tend to think they're the only peoople in the world that have a clue as to anything that's true. They're particularly antagonistic towards Catholics. Being Catholic, I don't much care for this.They're hostile toward immigrants.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
what's a "cracker"?
"Cracker" is now generally used for a native of Georgia or Florida. The last time I was in Florida, I heard "cracker" all over the place to refer to natives. So many outsiders have moved into Florida that I guess they need a term to distinguish natives from people who have moved in. Many of these people are well-to-do Jews from New York. If they can stand the heat, they can have it. The word cracker is originally from people who cracked whips, according to another poster here, U2 Alabama. I wish he'd show up to help me answer these questions, he's very knowledgeable.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Favorite stereotype--one who is courteous and kind. Southerners are rightfully known for their hospitalitaty.

least favoriote stereotype that's also true. Confederate sympathizers. You'd think they could get over it, but too many Southerners don't want to. Some don't like Lincoln for this reason. They think he was a lousy president. I think he was great.

favorite southern stereotype that's untrue. people who are ignorant and bigoted. This really isn't true. We have a conservative society, but one that's also tolerant and laid back. Southerners know how to live with each other.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cstar

I ask because I visited northern Florida recently, and I was asked in a whisper, "I hear your from California....."
I would say that Southerners are a little suspicious of California. It's viewed as a strange place with alot of strange beliefs. Southerners are more comfortable with fundamentalist beliefs and other conservative views.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Ever been to a NASCAR race?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cstar

I think northern Florida is more like Georgia than Florida.

Florida is kind of weird. Like vertre said, a lot of the population in Florida is from somewhere else. I don't think we're as "southern" as a lot of other states in the south. For instance, a majority of people in central and southern Florida do not have southern accents.