ask the Southerner - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Is fried food really popular in the South, as the media would have us all believe?
Do utes with confederate flags really exist, and do rednecks actually hoon around with guns while riding in them?

If you're thinking my questions are horrible stereotypes, they are. I'm really keen to know what is true (or has elements of truth at least) and what is just bogus.
Having lived in The Armpit for 6 years, I can answer yes to all of these. I'd be more than happy to post snaps of my neighbors for evidence. Not one damn day goes by when I don't have the effing confederate flag waving in my face. They really are all over the place here.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Thanks, verte and unico. I reckon this is the key with stereotypes is realising there might be an element of truth, but 97% of the rest of you are no different to everyone else. It's unreal to think there are some who do fit this, though!

And verte, that is so cool you work 3 blocks from The Whistlestop Cafe! That's awesome!! I love that movie

Old 05-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

well...to be fair, i am only looking at one area. so i wanna retract what i said, because i'm sure there are cities in the south that are completely different from this one. the most south place i've been to is orlando...and i didn't see a single confederate flag my time there.

but my gosh, the culture is so different even in this state. I grew up in Northern VA, then went to Southwestern VA for college, then moved to DC, then back to Southwest VA again where I am now.

The residents of Nova, as it is lovingly called, don't even really consider themselves "southern", myself included. I don't recall seeing confederate flags until I went to college. It is funny, how just 5 hours away, the culture can completely change.

Over here where I am now, yes fried food is quite popular, as is sweet tea. EVERY restaurant here has sweet tea.

And the flags aren't just flags, they are stickers, magnets, tshirts, patches, caps, bandanas...you name it.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
mmmmmmm fried food and vegetables cooked in bacon grease It'll probably give me a heart attack down the road but Lord I do love southern food

I see Confederate bumperstickers on pickup trucks all the time here...occasionally a banner.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Is fried food really popular in the South, as the media would have us all believe?
Do utes with confederate flags really exist, and do rednecks actually hoon around with guns while riding in them?

If you're thinking my questions are horrible stereotypes, they are. I'm really keen to know what is true (or has elements of truth at least) and what is just bogus.
Yes, fried food is extremely popular here in the south along with Sweet Tea. The fried cuisine is highly responsible for my weight gain. Here is a menu from one of my favorite bbq places here in the Atlanta area: http://realpagessites.com/williamsonbros/page2.html

The Confederate Flags (stars and bars) really exists. The Sons of the Confederate Veterans would love to see their flag return to the state of Georgia's flag: http://www.scv.org/
Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

my BF is very much a southerner, and it is true about the fried food. down home country southern food is absolutely delicious.

but it will kill you.

and NOVA -- northern vriginia -- might as well be new jersey. i never hear southern accents.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Ha NOVA is a world in and of itself. Crazy place. Most of my school friends are from there. It is definitely NOT the south.

Richmond on the other hand...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #23
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
my BF is very much a southerner, and it is true about the fried food. down home country southern food is absolutely delicious.

but it will kill you.

and NOVA -- northern vriginia -- might as well be new jersey. i never hear southern accents.

Somewhere I have a cookbook called something like "How to Eat like a Southerner -- and Live to Tell About It". And Paul Prudhomme's sister wrote a low-fat Cajun cookbook. Just in case any of y'all need a few helpful hints!

Also, for you NOVA folks -- Southern accents are alive and well in many parts of DC -- but those are the parts that people who live in NOVA tend to overlook in their travels.....

(I grew up in DC and never realized that I had a Southern accent until I went to college in Connecticut..... )
Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Ironically, the huge array of garden vegetable dishes is the aspect of Southern cooking I miss most--with (presumably) the exception of CA and maybe a few other places, I haven't found anything like that affection for vegetables and variety of ways of fixing them outside the South. Seems like it's traditionally all about potatoes and iceberg lettuce in so many other places. Although to be fair, the climate doesn't allow for that many varieties in a lot of other regions, even if you can now buy them imported in the dead of winter from South America or Central Valley CA or wherever.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

good point about the veggies, yolland! i do love me some collard greens. though...they are faux southern for me since i don't cook them with meat.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #26
Forum Moderator

questions for verte:

Are you basically pretty happy living there, or do you dream of living somewhere else?

If you did move away, what (other than friends and family) do you suppose you would miss the most?

Was Dukes of Hazzard hugely popular there back in the day? (It was where I grew up--partly because everyone enjoyed laughing their asses off at how ridiculous some of the stereotypes were, but also partly because it was a big deal just to see Southerners represented on television for a change.)

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 AM   #27
Forum Moderator

Also, I wanted to ask U2dem...are you planning on attending any of the Jamestown Quadricentennial stuff scheduled for this summer? I haven't seen much about it in the papers, although I'd imagine it's in the papers out there a good deal...

Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Also, I wanted to ask U2dem...are you planning on attending any of the Jamestown Quadricentennial stuff scheduled for this summer? I haven't seen much about it in the papers, although I'd imagine it's in the papers out there a good deal...
Yeah it's a huge deal around here...I'll probably get out there at some point. There are normally a TON of tourists around there in the summer so I would imagine this year would be even worse...but I don't want to miss this either.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and you never hear bon jovi, either... so you get the best of both worlds.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:55 AM
When U2 played in Atlanta, what was the song they played before they came out?