Ask the reporter. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:48 AM
If you were to own your own newspaper or magazine what would you put in it and what would you keep out?

How do you feel about all the celebrity coverage in the media? Do you feel it is a waste or that the public is genuinely interested in celebrities?

Old 04-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Nice question Pearl. I've most recently thought about doing something involving Christian activism (and I don't mean just politically really — certanly not "Right-wing activism", more like the stuff Christ actually called us to do.)

I think all the celebrity coverage is retarded. They're just people like the rest of us. They fart, smell funny and do dumb things too. I'm not saying there aren't celebrities doing stuff worthy of media coverage, but the line between tabloid gossipy stuff and actual news is a bit blurry at the moment, I think.

Shows like Inside Edition and Xtra or whatever it is make me sick. It's a bunch of pointless crap really.

What do you think?

Old 04-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
What are you hoping to do with politics U2dem?
I'm hoping to one day manage campaigns (congressional and one day presidential) and hopefully i'll win that presidential campaign, then be an advisor to the president. After that I'll probably run for the senate.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
What do you run into U2dem? What stuff appears in your paper?
There's little to no censorship in my paper. Our teacher/advisor and principal are very supportive and do not want to limit us (except for cussing...we can't do that )
Old 04-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can't stand it either. I'm in the news business too and it is nauseating that so much time is spent on celebrities, when there are so many more important things going on in the world. The funny thing is, at work, everyone - even the higher-ups - complain about it, and no one is sure why we bother reporting on celebrities. I also find it degrading since reporting talent is being wasted on something not worth reporting.

I think celebrity news should stay with shows like Extra and Access Hollywood. That's where they belong, not on regular news programs
Old 04-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Do you think it's weird when people don't want to talk to you? Not if they've done anything wrong or something..yesterday I avoided a newspaper and TV reporter, I just get too nervous about that. It was just at a fun event, nothing criminal or anything. They never asked, I just politely moved away and let others talk.

Plus I looked like crap and I didn't want some people to know where I was
Old 04-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I know that at school people are often shy and humbled whenever we feature them in a story.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Mrs.Springsteen— In the five years I've been here, I've had very few people who say are too shy to talk (young children excluded, of course.) I understand though. I'm not the newshound-type who tries to pressure people into giving me information they're not comfortable giving up. I have had a lot of people who are surprised I want to do a story on whatever it is they're doing and I might have to do a little convincing that it's a good story, but that's about it.

People are way more willing to open up to me than I would've ever expected, and I've done stories on family members who have just died, numerous illnesses and diseases and other very personal stuff. It's very humbling to be able to enter into someone's life during what's often the one of the greatest moments in their life or one of their darkest, saddest times, and then they trust me to tell the world about it in an accurate, fair way. That's humbling.

By the way, is that Johnny Damon? He looks like crap. Another ex-Royals player who left and became an even better player. (which is fine with me, I'm a White Sox fan.)
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You've got some big plans there U2dem — good luck! I had no freaking idea what I wanted to do when I was in high school. I still don't really know what to do when I grow up though.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

I have a question, I'm often assigned a small article on an announcement of some sort (i.e. the debate team making it to the national competition) and I usually have trouble stretching them out to a good length. Any advice?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I have that problem a lot too U2dem. If you can, include more quotes. That's always good —*especially from additional sources. In the example of the debate team making it to a national competition, maybe you could focus on an individual who did well in the last event and show how they contributed to the team's success. You could also talk about the team's track record up to this point and then ask its members what they did different this time around to be successful if they weren't before or whatever. You also should ask what they're doing to prepare for the next event. How does a team prepare for nationals? What's their weak spot going into the event? Their strengths? Stuff like that. Does that help?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

ah yes that does help! thanks.

and i'm glad i'm not the only one with that problem.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I started out as a journalism major. Was troubled by some of the ethics of it--such a fine line between people's inherent curiosity (morbid curiosity, even) and privacy. I remember reading a story mentioning a reporter screaming at a person who did not want to be interviewed, "Didn't you ever hear about freedom of the press?" I had to laugh. The reporter didn't have a clue. Freedom of the press doesn't mean you have to cooperate with the press. Do you find all the sensationalism surrounding a story and then the lack of any substantive follow-up troubling? Have you had ethical questions?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, the reporter you mentioned wasn't very professional. I always put people's privacy first. I'm never out to take advantage of someone just to get a better story. That's dumb. TV people do that. Of course, I can't stand most TV reporters for a lot of reasons.

I do cringe at sensationalism and hype. Although there's a lot of it out there, I think people, in general, are smarter than we may give them credit for and can see through most of it.

As far as my own ethical questions, no big ones come to mind, but I know I've had them. I'll post them later.

Thanks for the questions. I second-guessed my decision to go into journalism for those same reasons you mentioned, but thank God I've found it easy to be different.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

so...apparently we're not allowed to use the word "fart" in our paper......

belching is fine. fart....no.